[GUIDE] How to change your bootanimation and splash image

Guest JudasLucifer

Hiya, can someone please advise me how to use FLB's Froyo r11 boot animation with KK's Swedish Spring r3 ROM?

just move the bootanimation.zip file from system>media on flb to data>local on Swedish spring.

you need root manager or something like that

Guest ouijaouija
Using A File Explorer

1) Choose the boot animation you want to use on your phone (should be a ".zip" file) Rename it "bootanimation.zip"yo

2) Delete the file "/system/media/bootanimation.zip" and replace it with your own.

Can I just do this to remove the orange startup logo and animation? I don't want to replace it with anything else.

Thanks

Edited by ouijaouija

Can I just do this to remove the orange startup logo and animation? I don't want to replace it with anything else.

Thanks

It'll get rid of the animation & replace it with the stock android one.

If you add this line to /system/build.prop it'll disable the animation.

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1[/codebox]

The orange logo is the splash image, you need that, but you can replace it if you read this guide.

Edited by wbaw

Guest JayGB1982

Just a quick query...

I have extracted the zip and added both bootscreen.zip and splash.bmp to a new zip

But when I view the bmp - It's Frankish's one but it downloaded as a .img so I just renamed it .bmp - Under explorer in Windows I says invalid image?

Would this work?

Or does Frankish's original file need to be changed from a .img to .bmp some other way? perhaps using an image editor?

Guest Mushroom_Lord

That bit says ".img" files, :D They are not actual pictures. I suggest right clicking on the preview and saving it as a bmp, if thats what you want B)

Guest mvheuver
That bit says ".img" files, :D They are not actual pictures. I suggest right clicking on the preview and saving it as a bmp, if thats what you want B)

I also don't understand this. In the guide it says we need to replace the bootanimation.zip file so I expected a zip file like this, but Frankish's animation is in the form of this splash.img file. What exactly do we do with this file to make it work?

Guest Mushroom_Lord
I also don't understand this. In the guide it says we need to replace the bootanimation.zip file so I expected a zip file like this, but Frankish's animation is in the form of this splash.img file. What exactly do we do with this file to make it work?

You see the "skip to bootanimations" link?

Maybe clickng on that will take you to bootanimations.

But where oh where is Frankishs bootanimation.

Oh, its not listed here. - Only his splash image is.

Maybe finding the thread it is in may help.

Guest mvheuver
You see the "skip to bootanimations" link?

Maybe clickng on that will take you to bootanimations.

But where oh where is Frankishs bootanimation.

Oh, its not listed here. - Only his splash image is.

Maybe finding the thread it is in may help.

No need to be sarcy like that, maybe you should realise this can be confusing to newcomers. I somehow assumed this was a boot animation but yes, it is a single flash image so the method is different (./fastboot-mac flash splash splash.img worked for me). Will try to figure out the boot animations now.

Guest mvheuver

Update on my experience updating the boot animation: doing it via adb didn't work as I got an "error: device not found" (and couldn't be asked to investigate) so I tried the file explorer method. In Astro this didn't work as I didn't have the permission to overwrite bootanimation.zip. However, it worked fine in Root Explorer. Perhaps it is worth adding to the guide that you need to change the permissions as it's a /system folder.

Also may be worth adding this cool boot animation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=985251

preview-green.gif

Best of them all, imo.

Does anyone have the original splash boot image, just incase the phone goes faulty and has to be returned?

The stock green android splash image is attached to this post. I think Orange had a different one, their logo, I don't have a copy of that one.

stock_splash.img.zip

Guest darkmast3r
The stock green android splash image is attached to this post. I think Orange had a different one, their logo, I don't have a copy of that one.

Many thanks!!!!

Guest Roo13

Hi,

Tried with Frankish's splash img, but with CWM swapping files need to modify script as in wbaw's script it is "assert(package_extract_file("splash.bmp", "/tmp/splash.bmp")," and Frankish's is a .img...?

Renaming to .bmp isn't working..i try modifying the script ? What about the binary do i need to re-create it from txt file..?

EDIT: modified script, didn't work, 2 options: i'm dumb or i can't read...time to make a pause i guess

Thx

Edited by Roo13

Guest Mushroom_Lord

I

Hi,

Tried with Frankish's splash img, but with CWM swapping files need to modify script as in wbaw's script it is "assert(package_extract_file("splash.bmp", "/tmp/splash.bmp")," and Frankish's is a .img...?

Renaming to .bmp isn't working..i try modifying the script ? What about the binary do i need to re-create it from txt file..?

EDIT: modified script, didn't work, 2 options: i'm dumb or i can't read...time to make a pause i guess

Thx

Ill edit the guide next time I get near a PC, as this method seems to be causing confusion. For all but the zip method, you need the Ingram file which is linked. For the zip method, rightclick the picture of the splash and save it as splash.bmp this is the splash.bmp you swap into the zip. No need to edit the script.

For the record, a bmp file is an actual Image, a .img. file is not

PLEASE IGNORE:

This is the old guide I'm keeping here - I hope its out of the way enough.

This Post Contains Guides On How To Change Both The Boot animation And Splash Image.

<A HREF="#guidesplash">Skip To The Guide On Changing Your Splash Image</a> [if that link doesnt work, just scroll down a tad :D ]

<A HREF="#bob">Skip To The Guide On Changing Your Bootanimation</a>

<A HREF="#bootanims">Skip Straight To Boot Animation Downloads</A>

<A HREF="#spash">Skip Straight To Splash Image Downloads</A>

I am going to "recreate" this post with html to make it more manageable - might be done in a few days.

<HR WIDTH="50%" SIZE="3" NOSHADE>

<A NAME="bob">

Change Your Phones Boot Animation

There are three ways of doing this, via ADB, or by using a file explorer on your blade, or flashing using ClockworkMod recovery.

Using ClockworkMod To flash a Boot animation (+ And an optional splash image)

1) Download This file: Bootanimation/splash image flash

2) Unzip the file. Swap ONLY the bootanimation and Splash image files. The other files are required for flashing.

NOTE: Dis-including a file will retain your previous splash image or bootanimation

EDIT: Using the correct files for this method.

Other methods may work but this worked for me:

In GIMP I open my 480x800 image. (as desired in terms or rotation, etc - how i want it to look on the phone)

Then go Image>transform>flip horrizontally

Now hit save as save it as splash.bmp

In advanced choose the "16bit R5 G6 B5" format

Now replace this file with the one in the unzipped directory.

3) Re-zip the file, and place it on your phones SD card.

4) Boot into recovery (via an app [in my signature] or by holding VolumeDown whilst booting

5) Choose "install zip for SD card" > "Choose ZIP" > Navigate to the zip file you placed.

6) Reboot your phone, and you should see changed booanimation and/or splash image.

Using A File Explorer

1) Choose the boot animation you want to use on your phone (should be a ".zip" file) Rename it "bootanimation.zip"yo

2) Delete the file "/system/media/bootanimation.zip" and replace it with your own.

3) Reboot your phone, your new bootanimation should show.

Optional - Adding Sound

• You can add sound by renaming an ".mp3" file "Bootsound.mp3" and placing it in "/system/media/audio/ui"

Via ADB

1) Select your bootanimation.zip and if wanted, Bootsound.mp3

2) type adb remount

3) type adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local or adb push bootanimation.zip /system/media

Optional - Adding Sound

• Type adb push Bootsound.mp3 /system/media/audio/ui

<A HREF="#bootanims">Skip To Boot Animations Here </A>

<A NAME="guidesplash">

There are four ways to change your phones splash image. All are listed below.

• Wbaw - Clockworkmod Recovery ZIP

• Phoenix Silver - Saved Image + Fastboot (Windows Cmd + Phone in fasboot connected via usb)

• Kallt_Kaffee - Via Gimp + Fastboot (Windows Cmd + Phone in fasboot connected via usb)

• Manually - Splash Image Creation Via Cmd + Fastboot (Windows Cmd + Phone in fasboot connected via usb)

WBAW- Using ClockworkMod To flash a Boot animation (+ And an optional splash image)

Please note that by using this method, you do not need to go to the "flash to phone" section.

1) Download This file: Bootanimation/splash image flash

2) Unzip the file. Swap ONLY the bootanimation and Splash image files. The other files are required for flashing.

NOTE: Dis-including a file will retain your previous splash image or bootanimation

3) Re-zip the file, and place it on your phones SD card.

4) Boot into recovery (via an app [in my signature] or by holding VolumeDown whilst booting

5) Choose "install zip for SD card" > "Choose ZIP" > Navigate to the zip file you placed.

6) Reboot your phone, and you should see changed booanimation and/or splash image.

Kallt_Kaffee - Via Gimp

Confirmed working with FLB and Japanese Jellyfish. If this does/doesnt work with any other ROMS, please leave a post saying so.

1) Open/create an image in GIMP with a resolution of 480x800

2) Flip the image horizontally (make sure you FLIP don't ROTATE by 180 or text etc will be reversed)

3) Save The image as ".bmp" and expand the advanced settings menu

4) Choose The format as "16bit format R5 G6 B5"

5) Verify the file size as 768070 bytes

6) Save the file as "splash.bmp"

7) Open Command prompt/terminal navigate to the directory where you saved the image (eg, type " cd C:\documents and settings\mushroom\my documents\")

8) Type "fastboot flash splash splash.bmp"

Phoenix Silver - Saved Image

Download The Tool For Linux: Phoenix Silver Splash Image Tool For Linux

Download The Tool For Windows:

Phoenix Silver Splash Image Tool For Windows

1) Unzip the files

2) Choose a picture to use (must have a resolution of 480x800)

3) Save it as "image.png"

4) Connect your phone in fastboot (use the reboot app to boot into fasboot/bootloader, or boot device with VOL UP held -should stay on boot logo)

5) Run sh splash.sh

<A NAME="guidespash">

Manually - Splash Image Creation Via Cmd + Fastboot Transfer To Phone

THIS IS LEW247'S GUIDE

All credit to him, not me :D Except a few Corrections in grammar and method by myself

Choose Your File

You can either create your own image, or download a ".img" file from the bottom of this post.

Once You Have Done This Go To The Flash To Phone Section Of This Post.

To Create Your Own File:

1) Choose Your Picture

You need a bmp picture with a resolution of 480X800

then rotate it so its upside down (shift the picture 35 pixels to the left of centre and it will display correctly

ie don't centre the picture - move it 35 pixels to the left of centre of the image is 480 wide the centre Should be 240 but if you use that the picture will wrap around on the display, you must use 205 as the centre of the picture (or use a simple colour background with a 410 (or smaller) picture in the middle of it

ROTATE the picture so it's upside down and save.

2)Convert Your Picture

Use nbimg.exe

Avaliable here: http://www.mediafire.com/?umwt9g7j6mdav1k

Search for nbimg.exe, save it to a folder

Put the picture you want to convert in that folder

Change your imagename to splash.bmp

Open a command prompt then type

"nbimg -F splash.bmp -w480 -h800"

It will convert it and change the filename to splash.bmp.nb

type ren splash.bmp.nb splash.img

(or rename it to splash.img in windows explorer)

To Flash To Your Phone

1) IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT ALREADY DOWNLOAD FASTBOOT:

simply place the file in an easily accessible directory and unzip. You can delete "fastboot.zip" after you unzip it.

2)Start your phone with the volume UP key pressed

And plug it into your computer. Make sure you have the drivers installed. They are available in this forum.

3)Using command prompt navigate to the you fastboot directory.

If my fastboot directory was stored in "C:\documents and settings\mushroom\my documents\fastboot\"

I would type "cd C:\documents and settings\mushroom\my documents\fastboot"

If you fastboot directory is within the currently displayed directory in cmd you can instead type: "cd \fastboot"

EG: If your cmd said "C:\documents and settings\mushroom\my documents>"

You could just type "cd \fastboot",

and it would take you to "C:\ documents and settings\mushroom\my documents\fastboot>"

4)Type "fastboot-windows flash splash splash.img"

(assuming you are using windows. Change windows to linux or mac accordingly)

That's it

That's correct for the B10 phones The earlier ones I "think" had to be flashed to splash1 and not splash

Try the above and if when flashing to splash it says FAILED: (remote unknown partition name) simply flash it again but to splash1 instead of splash

It will then work.

Oh the image comes out wrapped a bit - no way to explain other than try it and see

The wraparound is 35pixels

try it and see.</span>

<A NAME="spash">

Splash Image Files.

IMPORTANT: If you are using a method OTHER than the flashable .zip file by wbaw, use the download links.

If you are using wbaws zip file method, please rename the file to "splash.bmp"

<table>

<tr>

<td>

A nice splash created by Frankish

splash10.png

Frankish Splash Image Download

</td>

<td>

A CyanogenMod splash by wbaw

cm7256073.png

Direct Download: Cyanogen Splash by wbaw

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

A Splash by Pheonix Silver

splash.jpg

Direct Download: Phoenix Silvers Splash

</td>

<td>

A Splash by BritishBob

splash.png

Direct Download: BritishBobs Splash

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

LittleGu66's Splash

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=70591

Direct Download: Littleguy66's Splash

</td>

<td>

The original Orange splash image

Someone who has the stock ROM on their pc, please pull the "logo.bmp" so I can use it as a preview here, cheers

Direct Download: Original Orange Splash Image

</td>

</tr>

</table>

<A NAME="bootanims">

Bootanimations

<table>

<tr>

<td>

Droid x Boot animation

boot.png

Direct Download: Droid x Bootanimation

Direct Download: Droid x BootSound

</td>

<td>

Mario Boot Animation

mario_0025.png

Direct Download: Mario Bootanimation

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>

Android Destroys Apple Boot Animation

bootanim_00023.png

Direct Download: Android Destroys Apple Bootanimation

</td>

<td>

CyanComb Bootanimation [Courtesy Of Jurrasstoil]

cyanhoneydaxv.gif

Direct Download: CyanComb Bootanimation

</td>

</tr>

</table>

Like the new table? -It's epic isn't it. Credit to Alastair Williams (who wants to be referred to as 'Fellow Nerd' , whilst he thinks of a username)

QUICK NOTICE - PLEASE READ

I know I haven't gathered THAT many B) But I fear soon, that I will end up having an overcrowded thread - TOO MANY boot animations +splashes. So I will be reducing the image sizes down, so to fit more on a page.

I also plan for future to provide only QUALITY or USER MADE boot animations or splashes - to save people searching, and I like quality ;)

I will probably also cut down most of the splash image guides, as now, the flashable clockwork zip is probably the most common and easy method (hide the other guides in spoilers, perhaps)

HELP: Anyone know how to do this?

I just want to shorten out this post a bit more: any ideas?

Edited by Mushroom_Lord

You just need to rename splash.img to splash.bmp. I just did it like that because I save my images from GIMP which saves them as a .bmp

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Im going to tidy up the guide a bit more, make things clearer etc.

To those mods.

Will changing this topics name change its url? I was thinking of simplifying it ( :L )

I just don't want any broken links.

Edited by Mushroom_Lord

I thought that were completely different?

Follow the Kallt_Kaffee guide for creating a splash image in GIMP, it is a rgb565 .bmp file. Some of them might be missing the .bmp header, if they were created differently, so they might not display in all image software on your pc, but the phone ignores that part anyway, so it'll still work on the phone.

The updater-script in the zip file relies on it being called splash.bmp, so whatever your splash image is called, rename it to that & put it in the zip.

Will changing this topics name change its url? I was thinking of simplifying it ( :L )

I just don't want any broken links.

It will change the url, but the old url should redirect to the new one, so no broken links, hopefully.

Guest Roo13

Hi

You just need to rename splash.img to splash.bmp. I just did it like that because I save my images from GIMP which saves them as a .bmp

Restarted with your archive, replaced bootanimation.zip with the one with Mario and Frankish's splash right-clicked on the 1rst thread and saved as "splash.bmp"

Zipped the whole thing in archive.zip on a mac, flashed from CWM 3.0.0.5, during installing:

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/splash.bmp", "splash")

E:Error in /sdcard/archive.zip

(Status 7)

though boot animation get flashed..thanks! i'll an other one to see if it's the img.

Mushroom_lord>bmp is mispelled in mbp here and thanks for the tidy it's clearer.

Edited by Roo13

Guest Roo13

Hi again

i converted the .png to .bmp with PS the image is flashed in the zip but corrupted...are there particular settings: format (windows, OS/2), depth (16,24,32 bytes)...?

Guess i'm dumb today..i took the .img renamed it and rolled like a charm..thanks

Edited by Roo13

Guest Mushroom_Lord
Hi

Restarted with your archive, replaced bootanimation.zip with the one with Mario and Frankish's splash right-clicked on the 1rst thread and saved as "splash.bmp"

Zipped the whole thing in archive.zip on a mac, flashed from CWM 3.0.0.5, during installing:

assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/splash.bmp", "splash")

E:Error in /sdcard/archive.zip

(Status 7)

though boot animation get flashed..thanks! i'll an other one to see if it's the img.

Mushroom_lord>bmp is mispelled in mbp here and thanks for the tidy it's clearer.

Dang, I thought I'd changed that already :D

Hi again

i converted the .png to .bmp with PS the image is flashed in the zip but corrupted...are there particular settings: format (windows, OS/2), depth (16,24,32 bytes)...?

Guess i'm dumb today..i took the .img renamed it and rolled like a charm..thanks

In case you want to create your own, then it needs to be a 16bit 565 colour depth uncompressed bmp, 480x800 & flipped horizontally, it should be just over 750kb.

All the splash.img files in this thread have already been converted to the right format, they're really .bmp files, or close enough for the phone, so just rename any splash.img you find in this thread to splash.bmp & it should work.

Edited by wbaw