Bricked ZTE X880 (not Blade)

Guest noname.si

Guest noname.si

Yesterday I made a big mistake.

IMG_20110315_220054.jpg

Step one: take a brand new X880 and try installing custom recovery (clockwork) with VOL+ and PWR button, it *should* boot to bootloader, but alas, it boots to system :S

Step two: after that doesn't work, try enabling USB debugging and running "adb reboot-bootloader". After a while, the screen stops at the green robot. "fastboot devices" shows a device (yay!). take the latest clockwork recovery image and try flashing it via "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-blade.img" (file sent okay) and "fastboot reboot". unfortunately after another couples of rebooting VOL- and PWR still doesn't show my favourite recovery :S Try different recovery roms: recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-blade.img, recovery-RA-blade-v2.0.0-CM.img, ..

Step three: couple of hours later you still don't get a result... prepare for more drastic measures... prolly installing a newer boot.img should work, right? "adb reboot-recovery" "fastboot flash boot boot.img" which you got it of CM7 RC should work... WRONG! It doesn't work! After this step prepare to only see the green robot no matter what buttons you press to boot it (VOL+&PWR, VOL-&PRW, ...). And.. unfortunately my notebook only detects a device with unknown HWID and "fastboot devices" or even adb can't seem to find any devices :D

Step four: after realising this is probably it for the phone - google some more... you'll soon find out there's a great way to fix everything with TPT mode (you just upload some files to /image, a newly created directory on the SD card and boot with MENU&VOL+&PWR... Unfortunately the booting stops trying to load /mmc1/image/qosbl_cfgdata.mbn or something like that... delete the culprits (most of .mbn files) and reboot again and again... after a while, success (or is it):

ya... images are uploaded, but.. after that everything goes blank, not even a green robot, just a pixel wide line in the bottom of the screen (that widens to 2px) on the far right side and a red "BACK" button...

Step five: well... i'm kinda lost now... is there any way to unbrick it? Tried different TFT roms but no luck.

Edited by noname.si

The x880 isn't a Blade, it's a similar but different phone, unmodified blade roms wont work on it, you might have bricked it, especially with those tpt files.

Guest hedgepigdaniel

So can you repeat what's in the youtube video at will? If so, then I would expect you are able to use TPT, and I can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work (unless deleting those files has had some effect I don't understand). If you can do that again try the following:

1. Try all the TPT updates you can find on the forum. The list of ROMs has a table of which ones have TPT, check sebastian404s collection of stock ROMs, I think some of them might be TPT

2. Religiously check the md5 of EVERYTHING you flash, and do not continue until it matches (take the hash as late as possible, if you can check the hash after you've copied to SD, do that.)

3. Try using a different SD card - lots of people have problems with SD cards, particularly large ones, and the Blade. If you can, use the stock 2GB one.

Otherwise, I'm lost. I won't bore you with the value of research and prudent actions.

Good luck!

Guest hedgepigdaniel
The x880 isn't a Blade, it's a similar but different phone, unmodified blade roms wont work on it, you might have bricked it, especially with those tpt files.

In that case you better hope there are TPT files around somewhere for x880. If it's guaranteed then it should be fixable, presumably someone on the supply chain will be able to TPT it.

Guest ronc2000

I was wondering too.

A Blade is V880, not X880.

Guest noname.si

ok... my bad.. x880 != blade... this is prolly the cause of all the problems :D does anyone have a working tpt rom for x880? already tried most of the available tpt roms but had no luck since...

hecatae: there's one in the china unicom stock rom.

we don't have a tpt image for the x880, the only tpt files we have come from a leaked hungarian t-mobile update for the zte blade, it's possible that you've broken it beyond anything we can do to fix it by using a tpt install designed for a blade. we don't even have a way to get those .mbn files from a phone, they're all the hidden partitions with important things like the bootloader, the radio firmware & the program that does the tpt flash, they could all be totally different on the x880.

the x880 is a variant of the blade made for the chinese market. it has less ram, a few other hardware differences & it uses a different kernel to the blade. we used an x880 rom to give us froyo on the blade, but we had to change the kernel to make it work. x880 roms wont work on the blade unmodified & blade roms wont work on the x880 unmodified.

can you get into fastboot? if not, i think you're screwed. if you can, there's still hope.

I was wondering too.

A Blade is V880, not X880.

A blade is a P729B, I don't think a v880 exists & it's not a x880, that's the chinese variant.

Guest Sebastian404

The X880 is what ZTE base model is called, the Softbank variant is called 'Libero 003Z' and China Unicom varient is called 'V880'

A blade is a P729B.

Apart from when its also:

P729C, P729DL, P729KV, P729J, P729, P729V, P729T, P729CU, P729VV and (oddly) P733N

That just going from the stock ROMs I know of..

the P729J is the Softbank and ZTE's unlocked Variants

the P729CU is the China Unicom Variant

The rest are all 'European' versions...

I was hoping someone might try and correlate the device ID's against feates (camera.screen type, ram, etc, etc) and spot a pattern, but no-one yet has had that much OCD.

Edited by Sebastian404

well my uk orange san francisco is a ZTE P729B. It's grey, it came with B08 firmware, it has a tft screen & it came out of the orange shop on the 28th of december. 3.2mp camera, lead tft (iirc), 512mb ram. there's another number next to the ce mark too, 1588, not sure if that means anything. It also has a white power button, it was a replacement for a faulty phone with a black power button (that was the biggest difference i found, except it actually working).

Edited by wbaw

Guest Sebastian404
It also has a white power button, it was a replacement for a faulty phone with a black power button (that was the biggest difference i found, except it actually working).

I got a gray device on launch day (whenever that was) and it has a silver power button :D

I got a gray device on launch day (whenever that was) and it has a silver power button :D

Yeah, underneath the silver one, if you take the back cover off, is that bit silver? The actual button bit. One my new one it's white, old one was black, both were b08 firmware.

Guest Sebastian404
Yeah, underneath the silver one, if you take the back cover off, is that bit silver? The actual button bit. One my new one it's white, old one was black, both were b08 firmware.

Ah, I see, mine is black.

Guest kendon
ok... my bad.. x880 != blade... this is prolly the cause of all the problems :D does anyone have a working tpt rom for x880? already tried most of the available tpt roms but had no luck since...

so maybe you wanna edit that misleading thread title now?

Guest ronc2000
so maybe you wanna edit that misleading thread title now?

X880 is actually a quad band (Blade is tri-band) including 850Mhz (USA).

So they are different.

Guest kendon
X880 is actually a quad band (Blade is tri-band) including 850Mhz (USA).

So they are different.

yes, and the title implies that they are the same, so it could be misleading to newbies. the thread suggest that exactly this misunderstanding may lead to a bricked device.

Guest noname.si

So, here's the deal... I'm not sure how, but I managed to get back fastboot interface. Even tried uploading the correct version of clockwork and boot.img of the stock x880 off sebastian404's page... The green robot fades away instead of booting or anything... in case of pressing "VOL- and PWR" which should be recovery mode or just PWR for system boot...

This is how it looks like...

I really really hope I manage to get it back to life somehow :D

If you can get fastboot, then you're back in business. There should be the whole china unicom stock rom for x880 in seb's stock rom thread. I think he did a version of clockworkmod for x880 too.

Does the x880 clockwork not work? how about a blade version?

It's a Chinese phone made for China, so if you speak Chinese, you might get better help at a Chinese x880 forum, they're going to know more about that phone.

Edited by wbaw

Guest burstlam
If you can get fastboot, then you're back in business. There should be the whole china unicom stock rom for x880 in seb's stock rom thread. I think he did a version of clockworkmod for x880 too.

Does the x880 clockwork not work? how about a blade version?

It's a Chinese phone made for China, so if you speak Chinese, you might get better help at a Chinese x880 forum, they're going to know more about that phone.

Hi. there

from the photo posted. the label on the back show that this x880 is a sample/ display use machine.

most likely a prototype, wonder how u get one.

I can't find any forums with corresponding information, even with ZTE official homepage in China.

I found x850 with similiar hardware. but i am not sure whether they are the same.

I will post a request for u in the Zte forum. see whether the software eng. will answer it

Edited by burstlam