[How To] Install Recovery and Flash Roms

Guest temp_84_m

Guest temp_84_m

I am creating a guide for the newbies who want to flash a ROM. I am doing this as someone asked me. If this is already posted, mods may remove it.

I do not take any credit for any software/methods. I am only writing this for helping the newbies. The credit goes to authors/developers of the original programs used.

Assumptions :

I assume that newbies reading this will know how to install and run software/programs on Android.

Warnings :

THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Steps :

1) Download UniversalAndroot 1.6.1 from : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598

2) Download Recovery Manager & ClockworkMod from : http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-race...-for-zte-racer/

(Don't forget to Thank Sebastian404 for the programs)

3) Place all of the files on your sd card

4) Install and run Universal Androot. Click on root

5) Without rebooting your device, install and run Recovery Manager

6) Use recovery manager to flash Clockworkmod recovery

7) Place any rom you want to flash on the SD card and reboot to recovery (You can do this by switching off your phone and pressing vol - and power button together untill you see clockworkmod screen)

8) Dont forget to Backup (Nandroid) your phone before flashing a new Rom ! (And dont forget to thank the author/developer of the custom rom)

Hope you find the above helpful.

:D

Edited by temp_84_m

• 1 month later...
Guest blatny93

Thanks for the guide - but, being a newbie, I'm having difficulty with the nandroid business - how do I find the drivers - I found one referent here but the link was dead ('illegal content'!) and for some reason when I try to search in this forum I keep getting an error message - 'You have not specified a forum' which in fact I have - a guide like yours, but as regards nandroid, for ZTE Racer in especial would be wonderfully helpful!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dyseac

Hi Guys.

I am having problems following this tutorial. I can boot into recovery mode with the green android on screen, but then what am I meant to do ?? If i connect my mobile ot my PC i get un-recognised device.. Please help!

The rom I want to load is already on the SD card

cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest gp1074
Hi Guys.

I am having problems following this tutorial. I can boot into recovery mode with the green android on screen, but then what am I meant to do ?? If i connect my mobile ot my PC i get un-recognised device.. Please help!

The rom I want to load is already on the SD card

cheers

Same problem here - a newbie to android so may just be me but green android onscreen and red light but then can't do anything - help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest S3lmis

I have a ZTE Link. I have rooted my phone, downloaded a ROM Manager, but when I try to flash a clockwork recovery, a list appears with the models of phones but there isn't Link.

Is there a possibility to flash recovery on my phone anyway?

Guest Dj Fluminee

i have a link too so let me guide you through the steps..assuming your phone is already rooted here we go

first you have to download recovery manager from HERE (unzip it, copy apk to your sd card, install it

second you download recovery clockwork mod from HERE (recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-mooncake-gen1.img worked for me), copy it to the root of the sd card

third you run recovery manager, go to recovery tab..and click install recovery, it will find you the img file copied on the sd card and you click on it.

good luck! hope it helped.

Guest S3lmis

i have a link too so let me guide you through the steps..assuming your phone is already rooted here we go

first you have to download recovery manager from HERE (unzip it, copy apk to your sd card, install it

second you download recovery clockwork mod from HERE (recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-mooncake-gen1.img worked for me), copy it to the root of the sd card

third you run recovery manager, go to recovery tab..and click install recovery, it will find you the img file copied on the sd card and you click on it.

good luck! hope it helped.

As you said, i downloaded ROM Manager, but when i try to install it, it says "Recovery Manager could not be installed on this phone". What could be wrong?

P.S. ROM Manager that i download from market doesn't have another tab to flash recovery from sdcard...

Guest Dj Fluminee

As you said, i downloaded ROM Manager, but when i try to install it, it says "Recovery Manager could not be installed on this phone". What could be wrong?

P.S. ROM Manager that i download from market doesn't have another tab to flash recovery from sdcard...

are you 100% sure that your android is rooted and super user installed? when rooting be sure to check to install super user

Guest S3lmis

when i root my phone, there should appear a ''Superuser permissions'' in menu, am I right? If so, it is. I used UAR 1.6.1 to root it.

Guest Dj Fluminee

when i root my phone, there should appear a ''Superuser permissions'' in menu, am I right? If so, it is. I used UAR 1.6.1 to root it.

ok...

we'll try another method that also worked for me..

first download the recovery image (recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-mooncake-gen1.img), rename it to "recovery.img" and place it to the root of sdcard.

second download a terminal program from market

open the terminal and type "su" and hit enter (a super user window should appear and you allow it)

after you have granted super user permissions you type

"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img"

Edited by Dj Fluminee

Guest S3lmis

ok...

we'll try another method that also worked for me..

first download the recovery image (recovery-clockwork-4.0.0.8-mooncake-gen1.img), rename it to "recovery.img" and place it to the root of sdcard.

second download a terminal program from market

open the terminal and type "su" and hit enter (a super user window should appear and you allow it)

after you have granted super user permissions you type

"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img"

OK, I downloaded both - img file and terminal, i typed "su", permissions were granted, BUT when I tried to type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" it said, that i haven't permissions. :/ so i tried to type "ls -l /sdcard" and on the file recovery.img permissions tab it was written "----rwxr-x" so i think that means that i still dont have superuser permissions on that file. i tried to type "chmod 777 recovery.img" but that didn't work. Then I tried to unroot my device, root it again and try everything again, but it still doesnt work... :|

P.S. Earlier i haven't mentioned that i tried to flash a recovery image from a ROM Managers list (I've chosen Huawei Pulse), image was downloaded, installed, but didnt work.. after that i cant reset factory settings. Maybe this could harm something..?

Thanks for your patience with me..

Guest S3lmis

Now I tried to restart my phone, type "su" in terminal, type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and here's what I get:

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$su

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)

#

• 2 weeks later...
Guest S3lmis

After installing this ROM

Three (UK): ZTE Racer

3UK_P726GV1.0.0B05

ro.build.version.release=2.1-update1

ro.build.date=Mon Jun 21 16:08:16 CST 2010

ro.build.sw_internal_version=3UK_P726GV1.0.0B05

ro.build.display.id=ZTE-RACER V2.1

ro.com.google.gmsversion=2.1_r4

my ZTE Link (French version) doesn't boot (I undestand that this ROM is not for this phone, I just wanted to try what happens if I install it). When I turn on my phone it starts blinking when showing the first picture (ZTE Link logo). Also I can't get into recovery mode because phone starts blinking before getting there. Is there any way to backup my stock ROM that I used before?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest MrMaciel

Hello Guys,

After much reading these forums, I've decided to try new roms for my Mexican ZTE Racer. First, I've soft-rooted my phone and then installed Recovery Manager, then I've installed ClockWorkMod Recovery 4.0.1.5. The thing is that whenever I try to reboot into the recovery mode my phone stays at the green android screen and nothing ever happens. I've tried rebooting with the power button + vol- keys and with the function bundled with the recovery manager. I saw that some users asked the same but this thread ended with replies to the zte link user. Could somebody please help me with this? thanx in advance!!

Guest Racerboy

Hello Guys,

After much reading these forums, I've decided to try new roms for my Mexican ZTE Racer. First, I've soft-rooted my phone and then installed Recovery Manager, then I've installed ClockWorkMod Recovery 4.0.1.5. The thing is that whenever I try to reboot into the recovery mode my phone stays at the green android screen and nothing ever happens. I've tried rebooting with the power button + vol- keys and with the function bundled with the recovery manager. I saw that some users asked the same but this thread ended with replies to the zte link user. Could somebody please help me with this? thanx in advance!!

which version of recovery manager have you got installed 0.37b is the latest HERE and use this version of clockworkrecovery HERE

or you can try this method HERE

Guest MrMaciel

which version of recovery manager have you got installed 0.37b is the latest HERE and use this version of clockworkrecovery HERE

or you can try this method HERE

Hello, I already had installed the version .37b for the recovery manager.. when I try to install the mooncake version of clockworkmod it is marked at as unrecognized.. already tried with the update database command :( the only version that is recognized is the 4.0.1.5-v9 version.

Also, I tried the fastboot method, but when I turn on my phone holding the vol+ key, the green android logo does not stay and the phone boots up normally. I tried restarting it with vol- and the green android stays but the phone appears listed as unknown device and it is impossible to override the drivers with the ones provided with the fastboot method, however, when the phone is on it is recognized perftectly as ZTE modem without any errors.

thank you very much for your help!

Guest Racerboy

Hello, I already had installed the version .37b for the recovery manager.. when I try to install the mooncake version of clockworkmod it is marked at as unrecognized.. already tried with the update database command :( the only version that is recognized is the 4.0.1.5-v9 version.

Also, I tried the fastboot method, but when I turn on my phone holding the vol+ key, the green android logo does not stay and the phone boots up normally. I tried restarting it with vol- and the green android stays but the phone appears listed as unknown device and it is impossible to override the drivers with the ones provided with the fastboot method, however, when the phone is on it is recognized perftectly as ZTE modem without any errors.

thank you very much for your help!

its not a problem that recovery manager dont recognise clockworkrecoverymod 4.0.1.5 so long as it installs it thats what matters really, have you tried the terminal emulator option of installing recovery? HERE........let us know if you get it installed or not.....

Guest JasonLeeming

I'm having some trouble here guys. I installed Sebastians Recovery Manager and the GEN1 recovery image (I'm using a 3 ZTE Racer, installed with Android 2.1). It's rebooting in recovery fine, but once I get into recovery the home button doesn't work when trying to select any options. I can scroll through the menu fine, but I can't select anything.

Guest Racerboy

I'm having some trouble here guys. I installed Sebastians Recovery Manager and the GEN1 recovery image (I'm using a 3 ZTE Racer, installed with Android 2.1). It's rebooting in recovery fine, but once I get into recovery the home button doesn't work when trying to select any options. I can scroll through the menu fine, but I can't select anything.

if you have 4.0.1.5 cwm installed, downgrade from 4.0.1.5 to 4.0.1.4 then back to 4.0.1.5 install these through cwm so you`ll have to use the .update files instead of .img

4.0.1.4 update

4.0.1.5 update

should solve it