ZTE u-v880 Gen2 Blade

Guest solidchips

Guest solidchips

Hi

I'm Faisal Mushtaq. Recently bought ZTE u-v880 from china. It turned out to be GEN2 with pigfish app.

With the help of modoco members support, i managed to do the following task with the device.

The details are listed below.

Not sure whether your phone is GEN1 / GEN2

Install the Pigfish utility, run it and the first line shows whether your phone is GEN1/GEN2

PigFish output on my phone (GEN2-Blade):

Mr pigfish says you have a G2 model. (Here G2 means GEN2-Blade)

ram_console: 0x02500000

system RAM: 0x02600000

Stock Rom details:

Model: ZTE-U V880

Android ver: 2.2

Baseband ver: P729CUB01

Kernel: 2.6.32.9-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build: UNI_CN_V880 1.1

Edit:

Clockworkmod recovery for ZTE-U V880 GEN2

1. I installed Z4root, you can find it here Link

2. I did a temporary root using Z4root

3. Installed "Recovery manager 0.34b" Link

Any force close's (FC's) opening recovery manager, close it and open it again (may require 3/4 tries).

4. Using recovery manager i installed the recovery image: recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-x880. Link

5. Boot into recovery manager power off, turn power on while holding down the VOL DOWN button or you can use the quickboot and choose "Recovery" option, find it here Link

6. Finally nandroid backup your current ROM.

Now i'm looking farward to install sweedish rom (for GEN2 Blade), i'll post the details when i'll be done.

Installation of Custom Rom on ZTE-U V880 GEN2 Blade

1. Download the swedish spring RLS2 rom from Link (Courtesy of kallt_kaffe)

2. Copy the downloaded ROM (zip) file on your sdcard root.

3. Boot into clockworkmod recovery mode as i mentioned above.

4. Do nandroid backup of your current ROM if you didn't done it yet.

5. Wipe data partition.

6. Wipe system partition.

7. Now select "install zip fom sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" option and select the downloaded rom file.

8. Wait and let it finish.

9. For the first time the ROM will take some time to boot ( i guess 4/5 min for me) so be patient.

10.You'r done, Cheers.

Installation of an Overclock kernel on a GEN2 Blade (Courtesy of kallt_kaffe)

In progress....

Will update you soon....

Download the OC-kernel, camera fix and flash them in the recovery mode.

Don't wipe the cache/system partition.

1. This is the kallt_kaffe's OC-Kernel for Swedish Spring RLS2 (GEN2) KK OC Kernel

2. Camera fix for the OC kernel: Camera Fix

3. Boot into recovery mode as described earlier.

4. You don't need to wipe either data/system partition before flashing these patch files (I not did it).

5. Now select "install zip fom sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" option and select the first patch (KK OC-Kernel) file.

Let the process finish.

6. Now select "install zip fom sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" option and select the second patch (Camera fix) file.

Let the process finish.

7. Reboot and you're done.

8. Camera/FM Radio is working.

Thanks to all active modoco memebers on this thread.

Edited by solidchips

Guest hedgepigdaniel
Hi

I'm Faisal. Recently bought ZTE u-v880 from china. It turned out to be GEN2 with pigfish app. Anyone pls help me installing a custom rom on it. The chinese stock rom really sucks as there are no gapps preinstalled.

PigFish output:

Mr pigfish says you have a G2 model.

Stock Rom details:

you're better off asking in the ROM forum: Link

If you have a Gen2 phone then you cannot use custom ROMs designed for Gen1 phones (almost all currently available ROMs), although of course that will change with time.

Kalt Kaffe on this thread sais he will give a Gen2 version of his Swedish Spring ROM to those prepared to try it for the first time. AFAIK thats all you can do in terms of custom ROM's atm, Unless you want to try TPTing your phone to gen1, which carries a very high risk of bricking.

Edited by hedgepigdaniel

Guest ronc2000
Hi

I'm Faisal. Recently bought ZTE u-v880 from china. It turned out to be GEN2 with pigfish app. Anyone pls help me installing a custom rom on it. The chinese stock rom really sucks as there are no gapps preinstalled.

PigFish output:

Stock Rom details:

If you have 2.2 rom there is no urgency to change it.

You do not gain much with a custom rom over what you already have.

It is those who have 2.1 rom that have the need to change to a custom rom.

Wait for a while and watch the developement.

Guest solidchips

Thanks for your replies, especially for the links.

Do anyone know how to boot into fastboot (bootloader) mode on GEN2 blade. I tried many keys combo but all in vain, it showed a white box with text "FTM". Wondering zte might have disabled the fastboot mode in V880-Gen2.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Hi

PigFish output:

Stock Rom details:

If you want I can give you custom ROM to try but it'll be risky of course.

I believe there are dumps of the V880 allready so you may not need to dump the ROM first, but if you want to Sebastian have a tool for it here: http://android.podtwo.com/romdump/

Next would be to try to get Clockwork up and running. Sebastian404 have an x880 version that might work: http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/

If you get Clockwork up and running you should be able to make a full backup of your phone and when you've managed to do that the next step would be to try to get a custom ROM up and running.

As you hopefully understand this is risky and you might end up with an expensive paper weight.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Thanks for your replies, especially for the links.

Do anyone know how to boot into fastboot (bootloader) mode on GEN2 blade. I tried many keys combo but all in vain, it showed a white box with text "FTM". Wondering zte might have disabled the fastboot mode in V880-Gen2.

It should be "volume-up" while powering on and the only thing you'll notice (if it works) it that it stays on the "splash" logo and does not continue to boot up into Android.

From what I've heard some new devices seems to have fastboot disabled. In that case you migh be able to flash Clockwork (x880 version) with Sebastian404's recovery manager. You could also try to type "reboot bootloader" in a terminal emulator or "adb reboot bootloader" if you have a working adb connection.

Guest solidchips

kallt_kaffe, i fully understand the risk involved.

Right now i'm stuck on that clockwordmod recovery installation as i am unable to boot my phone into fastboot (bootloader) mode.

I tried many key combos but it shows me a white box with text "FTM".

Guest solidchips

I have tried Sebastian404's recovery manager, it crashes -- FC. I tried holding the Vol Down key + Pwr button but it goes straight into "FTM" mode. I think you are right that fastboot mode might be disabled on my device.

Guest kallt_kaffe
kallt_kaffe, i fully understand the risk involved.

Right now i'm stuck on that clockwordmod recovery installation as i am unable to boot my phone into fastboot (bootloader) mode.

I tried many key combos but it shows me a white box with text "FTM".

The FTM mode is Volume-down when you do not have Clockwork installed. Download Clockwork 3.0.1.4 from the link I provided and use Sebastians Recovery Manager: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ger-v0-34-beta/

When you've installed Clockwork. MAKE A BACKUP!

Here's a version of Swedish Spring RLS2 that uses the original kernel and ril-libs that came with the Swedish Android 2.2 dump: http://www.mediafire.com/?r88jsra9vr79sw5

May or may not work, no one have tried.

In RLS3 I will make custom compiled kernel also for the Gen2 phones so they also can overclock etc...

Guest kallt_kaffe
I have tried Sebastian404's recovery manager, it crashes -- FC. I tried holding the Vol Down key + Pwr button but it goes straight into "FTM" mode. I think you are right that fastboot mode might be disabled on my device.

Get in touch with Sebastian, perhaps he wants you to get some logs from the crash so that he can fix it. Without a working Clockwork the only option is a TPT but I strongly advice against that, it's to risky and I think someone with an x880 or v880 allready bricked a phone trying that method.

Guest solidchips

Again FC...

"The application recovery manager (process com.podtwo.recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try agian.

I forgot to mention that i don't have root previliges, i tried Z4root, androot but couldn't root my device.

Guest kallt_kaffe
Again FC...

"The application recovery manager (process com.podtwo.recoverymanager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try agian.

I forgot to mention that i don't have root previliges, i tried Z4root, androot but couldn't root my device.

Well, you must have root to do that. I know rooting usually do not survive a reboot on the Blades but usually it is just a matter of re-running Universal Androot after each boot.

Guest solidchips

Z4root says, it apparenlty rooted the device. But when i open any application that needs root previliages like root explorer, it complains that i the device is not rooted. Then i tried the univ androot 1.6.1, it said the device is already rooted, root again? i tapped "Root me please" button and after that a message appeared

"Failed! No ~~~ Fu goo ~~~"

wonder what was that.

Guest hecatae
Z4root says, it apparenlty rooted the device. But when i open any application that needs root previliages like root explorer, it complains that i the device is not rooted. Then i tried the univ androot 1.6.1, it said the device is already rooted, root again? i tapped "Root me please" button and after that a message appeared

"Failed! No ~~~ Fu goo ~~~"

wonder what was that.

any chance you can download root checker from the market and see what it says?

Guest solidchips

There is no pre-installed market application on this version of blade. I installed the market by installing "vending.apk". Tried to open it, seen a splash and after that back to desktop. Market is not running on this version i guess.

Guest kallt_kaffe
There is no pre-installed market application on this version of blade. I installed the market by installing "vending.apk". Tried to open it, seen a splash and after that back to desktop. Market is not running on this version i guess.

Sounds like they've locked down that phone pretty badly. Have you managed to setup adb against it? Will "adb reboot bootloader" work? Or in a terminal emulator type "reboot bootloader"?

Guest hecatae
Sounds like they've locked down that phone pretty badly. Have you managed to setup adb against it? Will "adb reboot bootloader" work? Or in a terminal emulator type "reboot bootloader"?

on the recovery manager thread solidchips has managed to temporary root it

Guest solidchips

i managed to temporarily root the device using the Z4root. After that i installed the "recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-x880.img". It was a success and currently i 'm backing up my rom.

Thanks everyone.

Guest kallt_kaffe
i managed to temporarily root the device using the Z4root. After that i installed the "recovery-clockwork-3.0.1.4-x880.img". It was a success and currently i 'm backing up my rom.

Thanks everyone.

Nice... It will be interesting to see if the Gen2 version of Swedish Spring RLS2 works on the v880.