what to do with the broken one?

Guest ian webster

Guest Ian Kendall

Hi,

It sounds a lot like the problem I had at first. The solution was to take everything apart again, and _very_ carefully wipe down the inside of the touchscreen with a glasses cleaning cloth. I think something was contacting it from underneath and interfering with the inputs (I don't know enough about Cap screens to use the correct wording! I feel that 'shorting it out', although easy to understand, is probably wrong...)

I didn't glue my screen in either, so I don't think it's that. The problem with calibrating the screen before you clean it is that if the foreign object moves, it will throw the calibration out again, and you are back where you started. Clean the insides as well as you can, get some more response from the screen and _then_ calibrate.

One other thing; if you are getting some touch input, I think the ribbon is seated properly. Also, try to determine where, roughly, on the screen your touch stops working (for me it was about 5cm in) and that will give you an idea of where to concentrate your cleaning efforts :)

Hope that helps.

Ian

Guest Melted

Hi,

I broke my vega's screen and I'm a bit confused about this topic.

The tablet works fine, touch pannel and everything, only the "front glass" is craked.

Si if I buy one of those it means it can be fixed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280622163717?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398%20%204.m1423.l2649#ht_3673wt_1139

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150543420937&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123#ht_3889wt_989

Because in this topic is said by

DublinGuy

" if y

our glass is broken you need to replace the whole front bezel which will include the glass and the touch panel. Based on my experience, broken front glass = unrepairable :rolleyes:"

i'll try to post a pic of the vega latter on.

Guest Ian Kendall

Can you be more specific? Is it the screen, or the front glass that is cracked? Because the two are separate.

From the outside in, there is the Capacitive touch screen - this is the bit you swipe your finger over. Under that is the screen; this is the laptop screen to which your ebay links point.

Now, if your tablet works, there's a good change that it's not the LCD screen that is broken (or you wouldn't get a clear screen). If the outside glass is cracked, then, as Colm said, you are pretty much goosed at the moment. If it's cracked, but still works, then you can still use things...

Guest Melted

Can you be more specific? Is it the screen, or the front glass that is cracked? Because the two are separate.

From the outside in, there is the Capacitive touch screen - this is the bit you swipe your finger over. Under that is the screen; this is the laptop screen to which your ebay links point.

Now, if your tablet works, there's a good change that it's not the LCD screen that is broken (or you wouldn't get a clear screen). If the outside glass is cracked, then, as Colm said, you are pretty much goosed at the moment. If it's cracked, but still works, then you can still use things...

It's the outer glassh what is fu##ed. It's like when a stone hits your car, it's cracked but not broken and you can still see through it.

Everything works, but I have 4 nasty lines in the glass.

for what you are saying, and if I understood correctly ( goosed ???) no joy for me :( but I'll have a look a soon as I get home ( 30min).

pd excuse my poor English I'll try to post a pic latter on to make myself understood.

EDIT: The outside glass it'a what it's broken wichi I asume is the touchpad. Can this be fixed?

See pics attached

SrgEgl.jpg

7iB1Jl.jpg

Edited by Melted

Guest IanTurner

Correct you are stuck with the broken glass as it's bonded to the touch panel as a single unit and you can't buy a replacement. Your options are live with the cracks, claim on your house contents insurance if its covered, try and sell as spares or throw it away.

Guest Melted

Correct you are stuck with the broken glass as it's bonded to the touch panel as a single unit and you can't buy a replacement. Your options are live with the cracks, claim on your house contents insurance if its covered, try and sell as spares or throw it away.

thank you so much. I'm "glad" I didn't buy the ebay replacement.

As I use it manly to read,It doesn't bother me too much

Edited by Melted

Guest Supremomx

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply Ian.

I will try a thorough cleaning tomorrow and will post the results.

Interestingly enough the spot from where I get no more touch response seems to be 5cm in.

Guest xathras

I don't know, because I got the Vega broken! However, I've seen a friend's unit and it's not that dissimilar. The only think that I've noticed is that the viewing angle from _below_ is not great, you really need to be looking at the screen from almost above (if that makes sense). Remember that it's a laptop screen, and you are usually looking at them from slightly above.

I got a very cheap iPad stand from Poundsaver (for, yes, one pound) which holds the Vega at the best angle for watching.

Aside from that, the screen is fine. Does what it needs to do :P

Ian

The horizontal viewing angle on the Vega's screen seems OK to me. It's the vertical viewing angle that is very narrow. Also I agree that the picture quality drops off more rapidly when you view from below the perpendicular than when you view from slightly above.

Guest Supremomx

Hi guys,

Complete success! In fact I'm writing this from my vega.

I clean the insides carefully with a wipe and it didn't work, the touch panel was still useless. Then I unplugged and plugged again the ribbon cable carefully moving itw inch by inch and then taped it so it could hold... and it worked!

So I guess the ribbon cable is the real deal, although the cleaning should help.

Afterwards you just need to recalibrate the screen and you are good as new.

Thanks for the help Ian.