Photo

[HOWTO]Change the digitizer screen (ZTE Blade)

* * * * * 8 votes

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

£93.99 Are you fkin kidding me?
I would more like to buy new SF/ZTE than over priced part.

Imo.

It would appear that certain members are averse to reading threads thoroughly, no?

oker

oker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the ebay info and the howto! Luckily i still had my OLED with broken digitizer. I've replaced it easily, it's working great.

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
The touchscreen on my blade has been playing up for ages. It got worse today, so I took the plunge and completely disassembled it, and put it back together, based on these instructions.

Although hard to see in these pictures, there are 5 little foam oval widgets, 2 down one side of the board, and three down the other, each covered with a silvery conductor. The ones on the side with 3 make contact with a lead with bare patches adjacent to these widgets. If you look carefully at Picture 5 in the first posting, you can see the lead on the side with three, running down the edge - one contact is near the mid-height of the battery housing, and the other two are roughly at each end of the battery housing.

At least one of these was not located properly. I reseated them all carefully with tweezers, making sure they contacted the wire properly, and also for good measure disconnected and reconnected the connector shown in Picture 3 in the first posting. I then reassembled everything, and - touch wood - the touchscreen has been working much more reliably since.

Edited by Ralph Martin, 09 May 2011 - 07:26 PM.

Segavax

Segavax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
  • Twitter:@segavax
Who does not know where you can purchase TFT display for SF? Because my phone, he ordered a long time to live! ((Thanks in advance!

Ralph Martin

Ralph Martin

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

The touchscreen on my blade has been playing up for ages. It got worse today, so I took the plunge and completely disassembled it, and put it back together, based on these instructions.

Although hard to see in these pictures, there are 5 little foam oval widgets, 2 down one side of the board, and three down the other, each covered with a silvery conductor. The ones on the side with 3 make contact with a lead with bare patches adjacent to these widgets. If you look carefully at Picture 5 in the first posting, you can see the lead on the side with three, running down the edge - one contact is near the mid-height of the battery housing, and the other two are roughly at each end of the battery housing.

At least one of these was not located properly. I reseated them all carefully with tweezers, making sure they contacted the wire properly, and also for good measure disconnected and reconnected the connector shown in Picture 3 in the first posting. I then reassembled everything, and - touch wood - the touchscreen has been working much more reliably since.

Oh well, spoke too soon. It's gone back to being flaky. I think I'll take the plunge and buy a new digitizer.

darkado

darkado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
ebay listing doesn't specify the colour. which one is it?

Letalis.se

Letalis.se

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anybody having difficulty to get the digitizer to work?
Changed on my GF phone but the digi didnt work, the seller has shipped another one.
I have seen a few reports regarding this, but no solution.

Max-Power

Max-Power

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco
great guide, thanks for sharing, will keep this in mind, but will hopefully not have to use it :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play / Xoom / ZTE Blade

It would appear that certain members are averse to reading threads thoroughly, no?

For good reason when they get too long

Erikvc

Erikvc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:MDA Touch IV
Did you all order the digitizer from Gravedigga on Ebay? I just ordered mine on wednesday, got an e-mail that the payment was recieved through paypal. But his shop closed friday and will be closed all week. Did you recieve an e-mail when the digitizer was posted? I didn't. Cause I hope mine is already on its way, otherwise i'll have to wait another week for it to ship to the Netherlands.

My touchscreen isn't responding at all anymore. In the beginning I cold get it to work by pressing the San Fransisco logo, removing the backcover, unscrew the screws for a bit, but nothing is working anymore. Hope the new digitizer will fix this. Is there a chance the digitizer wont fix this?

Erikvc

Erikvc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Anybody having difficulty to get the digitizer to work?
Changed on my GF phone but the digi didnt work, the seller has shipped another one.
I have seen a few reports regarding this, but no solution.

I'm still waiting for my digitizer to arrive. Found this on a german forum, I'm afraid the digitzer wont fix my blade. My german isn't that good but it has something to do with soldering the touchscreen chip to the motherboard. It can come loose due to the cheap production. Im not much of a soldering hero so Ill wait till I have the courage to do so. Anyone any experience with this?

Oyorf

Oyorf

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I had a lot of dust under the screen and also in speaker so it was hard to hear what people were saying. So I dismount blade(have done this now 3 times) and used compressed air to clean dust away. Then I assembled Blade like before but now touch screen is not working at all. Physical buttons are working and also screen works, but touch is not working at all.

I tried many times to unplug and plug this cable from pcb to digitizer(?) part that is attached to front screen cover. But this wont help at all. Pretty strange that how this screen can go broken so easily, only thing I did was just turned the screen away from frontcover so I was able to clean screens and speaker. How can they even build these in factory if this goes broken that easily?

Is there anything that I can do to try to fix this? I would not like to buy new digitizer as I'm not 100% sure that it will fix this and because it costs about 35€ including shipment as whole phone costs only about 100€.

Edited by Oyorf, 15 June 2011 - 04:44 PM.

Erikvc

Erikvc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I had a lot of dust under the screen and also in speaker so it was hard to hear what people were saying. So I dismount blade(have done this now 3 times) and used compressed air to clean dust away. Then I assembled Blade like before but now touch screen is not working at all. Physical buttons are working and also screen works, but touch is not working at all.

I tried many times to unplug and plug this cable from pcb to digitizer(?) part that is attached to front screen cover. But this wont help at all. Pretty strange that how this screen can go broken so easily, only thing I did was just turned the screen away from frontcover so I was able to clean screens and speaker. How can they even build these in factory if this goes broken that easily?

Is there anything that I can do to try to fix this? I would not like to buy new digitizer as I'm not 100% sure that it will fix this and because it costs about 35€ including shipment as whole phone costs only about 100€.

Not sure if it will help you, but replacing the digitizer fixed mine. Only thing is I had a white one, and apparently the white front is a bit different from the black front. So now there is a gap off about 2mm between the plastic/chrome thingys and the new black front. Maybe I will try to fix this one day but I'm a little afraid I'll end up with a dead touchscreen again so I'll just cope with the gaps and the incoming dust.

Shipping to the Netherlands took about 1,5 week, so Im not complaining.

partycolonia

partycolonia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
i found an digitizer and an display (TFT) on ebay germany. Member: wawawarhier

When your is broken lokk at him before sold out

here are the Artkelnumbers

Display: 230636416773

digitizer: 230636419617

Oyorf

Oyorf

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I just ordered new digitizer from ebay. Will report here if it works or not.

JudasLucifer

JudasLucifer

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Devices:Zte Blade
Just to end @swisstourist's mad thread someone who broke their digitizer (and therefore doesn't mind it being messed up a lot) prove to him its plastic.

Sig.png

What Font Are You Using? (thats legible of course :P)

Oyorf

Oyorf

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I got new digitizer screen today and changed it and it works.

Only problem is that it came with scratches. Have you got yours like brand new or with some scratches? I don't know if scratches came because of post service or was this screen already used or something. But I will complain.

WAWA72

WAWA72

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade__not booting
Thx Godfather that he is working. Some scratches is for your personality :)

deadonthestairs

deadonthestairs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Devices:c600
I've just been to replace my screen and after taking my San Fran apart realised it's actually the OLED screen underneath that is cracked, not the digitizer screen :(

Is there any way to replace this or am I going to have to buy a new one? If I pester Orange is it likely that they'll replace it?

Thanks.

Goots

Goots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000
  • Twitter:@1969guy
Wow this thread is still alive ?

Sorry guys for not replying, it wasn't notifying me of replies for some reason, I wasn't being intentionally ignorant!

I can't believe the price of these things now! Mine was £19.99 with free p&p to the UK from eBay.

I don't know if the oled screen itself is replaceable I'm afraid, replacing the digitizer was about the limit of my technical ability.

I do know there is a new handset on the way called the "Orange Monte Carlo" which is a direct replacement for the San Fran, so we might see a few of these great little handsets going cheap on eBay soon :)

Edited by Goots, 15 September 2011 - 08:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users