Do Advent need a kick up the bum?? (Honeycomb 3.0)

Guest Mark_L

Guest Mark_L

Ok so yes I know that Advent have previosuly indicated that the Vega should get Android 3.0, and I also know that all the market forces are pushing for the vega to get 3.0... but does anyone else find Advents lack of a deffinate (bar acts of god, e.g. Google going bust) confirmation that the Vega will be geting Android 3.0 a bit unsettling?

Other manufacturers seem to have confirmed this.. yet nothing from Advent?

http://www.tabletstoreuk.com/smartbook-sur...ready-p-75.html

I'm sure it'll be fine, but the other day I had to tell a friend to hold off buying a Vega just in case. I couldn't whole heartedly recomend he purchase it as there was no concrete official announcement yet (that I know of).

Have I missed anything? Is there an announcement I havent seen yet?

Hows everyone else feel about this, do you feel we'll get 3.0?

Does any one know of any other channels to Advent we may be able to ask except AdventVega on Twitter?

Thanks!!

Edited by Mark_L

AFAIK Advent haven't previously indicated that the Vega will get Android 3.0, though they have said on Twitter their partners are looking into it.

If one of the device providers using the Vega's design gets 3.0, we will.

I'm not massively optimistic personally, especially with AOSP being held back...

IIRC Nvidia aren't supporting anything post 2.2 on the Harmony board (on which the Vega is based) which could complicate things somewhat...

P

Guest blcollier

Here's the situation as I understand it...

Google have only released HC to certain manufacturers (LG, Motorola, Samsung, probably a few more) at the moment and will not be releasing it to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) until they have made some changes to preserve user experience - seems they're concerned about it being shoehorned onto phones, despite the fact that this is already happening. Shuttle are the OEM that manufacture the device and sell it on to others to rebadge/rebrand - i.e., Advent Vega, POV Mobi, etc - and it's not clear if Google are going to release HC to Shuttle as yet. Unless Google agree to give the HC files/source to Shuttle or Advent (more likely to Shuttle), we will not see HC on the Vega until it hits AOSP. Based on recent news, it really isn't clear when Google will release HC to AOSP ("When it's done" seems to be the only timescale they've given)

That's what I've been able to glean from here & XDA anyway, someone feel free to correct me.

Don't worry, I think most of us are foaming at the mouth, grinding our teeth and desperate to see Honeycomb on the Vega :D.

Guest Mark_L

Ok, thanks for the info :D

Although I do find the news that Android 3.0 won't be supported on Harmony chipsets rather worrying.. even more so as it seems to have been confirmed in several other places.. a quick google of "android honeycomb not supported harmony" seems to turn up a fair selection of them.

That said, apparently 3.0 has already been ported to the nook, dell streak and neus one (although crudely in the case of the later).

Back on the 8th of December AdventVega tweeted.....

Re: Android 2.3, we're concentrating on getting Vega's into the hands of everyone who wants them, next step will be updates!

That was the last mention of any Android updates.

I'm hoping that not getting 2.3 is a sign that they want to deliver 3.0 instead and 2.3 would be a bit of a waste of time hence why we haven't had it yet.....

Guest cjtkd
Here's the situation as I understand it...

Google have only released HC to certain manufacturers (LG, Motorola, Samsung, probably a few more) at the moment and will not be releasing it to AOSP (Android Open Source Project) until they have made some changes to preserve user experience - seems they're concerned about it being shoehorned onto phones, despite the fact that this is already happening. Shuttle are the OEM that manufacture the device and sell it on to others to rebadge/rebrand - i.e., Advent Vega, POV Mobi, etc - and it's not clear if Google are going to release HC to Shuttle as yet. Unless Google agree to give the HC files/source to Shuttle or Advent (more likely to Shuttle), we will not see HC on the Vega until it hits AOSP. Based on recent news, it really isn't clear when Google will release HC to AOSP ("When it's done" seems to be the only timescale they've given)

That's what I've been able to glean from here & XDA anyway, someone feel free to correct me.

Don't worry, I think most of us are foaming at the mouth, grinding our teeth and desperate to see Honeycomb on the Vega :D.

Whilst it will be great to get it, I don't see it as being life changing. Its the same way everytime a new IOS is released, everyone goes crazy for it only for it to not actually have been worth the hype. Sure I understand THIS situation is a little different, but in the grand scheme its not be all and end all. :D

Guest blcollier
Whilst it will be great to get it, I don't see it as being life changing. Its the same way everytime a new IOS is released, everyone goes crazy for it only for it to not actually have been worth the hype. Sure I understand THIS situation is a little different, but in the grand scheme its not be all and end all. :D

No, it's not exactly end of the world stuff :D.

But it's far more than the incremental upgrades that we keep seeing for iOS. It actually looks radically different from previous versions, whereas the layperson would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 2-year old version of iOS and the latest one. There might be some radically different stuff going on in the background of iOS, but the end user doesn't see any of that (unless they're a nerd or a developer :( ).

Guest Lennyuk

Even if we never see an official HoneyComb for the vega (which there is still a good chance we will) we will almost certainly see a custom one.

The question is, how much can we get working in a custom rom.

Biggest issues will be

- wifi

- camera

- accelerometer

Luckily the vega doesn't have lots of hardware :D

Guest bazanime

Frankly I think the lack of honeycomb isnt a big issue and the vega runs just fine withouth it. I think they should either work on refining 2.2 to work far better or rlease a full featured update to gingerbread.

That said, honeycomb would be nice.

Guest zzleezz

One positive side effect of tight arsed google hanging onto its toys and not letting us play with them will be the current slow down in dev work on new roms will pick up again.

I am another that is not frothing at the mouth to get HC, it will be nice when it gets here but in real world terms it wont make my user experience a whole lot different. And im sure that by the time it actually does arrive in whatever form there will be a multitude of apk's floating around that will bridge the gap between froyo and HC. Think back to eclair > froyo upgrade time, when everyone was going nuts over flash being built in, then someone figured out that you could actually do this in eclair anyway :D

I also have a good friend that has just sold his iPad 1 and wants to get an android tablet of some sort, could not really recommend anything right now as I think the market really needs a couple of months to realise its full potential.

Guest Lennyuk
One positive side effect of tight arsed google hanging onto its toys and not letting us play with them will be the current slow down in dev work on new roms will pick up again.

I am another that is not frothing at the mouth to get HC, it will be nice when it gets here but in real world terms it wont make my user experience a whole lot different. And im sure that by the time it actually does arrive in whatever form there will be a multitude of apk's floating around that will bridge the gap between froyo and HC. Think back to eclair > froyo upgrade time, when everyone was going nuts over flash being built in, then someone figured out that you could actually do this in eclair anyway :D

I also have a good friend that has just sold his iPad 1 and wants to get an android tablet of some sort, could not really recommend anything right now as I think the market really needs a couple of months to realise its full potential.

LG rumoured to be making a Nexus Tablet for October time, if true that will be easily the best choice for an android tablet, and guaranteed to get all the updates to HC swiftly.

It will also make the xoom fairly obsolete...

Guest Mark_L

One area that no android 3.0 might be a problem in is games...and this was one of the main things that motivated my origional post.

It seems that there are going to be a lot of games that may not run on Android 2.2.. there is a flag in the OS that came in under Android 2.3 which allows the flagging of a tablet sized screen to the market.

If a dev turns that requirement on then they immedietly exclude all Android versions 2.2 and earlier.

Even though the device is running a 10+" screen the market does not see it as such.

I've opened a thread up for it over at Vendetta Online.. they say they are looking into it but I personally don't think it looks hopeful.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/7

All that said though, I am still hopefull we'll see android 3.0, either as an Advent update, a port from another machine, or a custom build from some of the really clever chaps and chapette's here at MoDaCo..

Guest cjtkd
One area that no android 3.0 might be a problem in is games...and this was one of the main things that motivated my origional post.

It seems that there are going to be a lot of games that may not run on Android 2.2.. there is a flag in the OS that came in under Android 2.3 which allows the flagging of a tablet sized screen to the market.

If a dev turns that requirement on then they immedietly exclude all Android versions 2.2 and earlier.

Even though the device is running a 10+" screen the market does not see it as such.

I've opened a thread up for it over at Vendetta Online.. they say they are looking into it but I personally don't think it looks hopeful.

http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/7

All that said though, I am still hopefull we'll see android 3.0, either as an Advent update, a port from another machine, or a custom build from some of the really clever chaps and chapette's here at MoDaCo..

I think its fair to say there will be many more custom roms to come for are fab little Vega's!! :D

Guest zzleezz
LG rumoured to be making a Nexus Tablet for October time, if true that will be easily the best choice for an android tablet, and guaranteed to get all the updates to HC swiftly.

It will also make the xoom fairly obsolete...

Sounds spot on. Was always a little envious of the nexus one against my HTC desire.

Guest montage

Even if its released for the vega after the initial wow, wiz, zippy zip zip.... zap.. I will still only be using it to grab emails.. browse some web site and fill in my online census every 100 years..

End of the day I'm more than happy with pauls roms and if its never to get it I still wouldn't pay for a xoom and would buy a vega

Guest DublinGuy
Think how many more Vegas Advent will sell with honeycomb on it..... It's a given. :D

I think this is an important point - as I understand it, the Advent doesn't have market/apps cos it isn't a phone. But now that HC is out, presumably an official Advent w HC could ship with market and apps. This would make it much more of a proposition for the average currys shopper than it is currently (where it really needs the custom rom to work to it's full potential). The one issue with this logic would be if shuttle/advent came out with a new version specifically for HC, which might be a possibility if Google are insisting on 1GB memory for example...

Guest rferrett

On the more sales thing....

Surely that follows much more for them in releasing a Vega 2 that still undercuts the ocmpetition but is a bit more feature rich (better viewing angles, gig of ram, 3g) with HC on than upgrading what they have got?

I'm not criticising or anything this owuld make business sense, and for my 2cents if the price point was right I'd probably get one!

Ralph

Guest zzleezz
On the more sales thing....

Surely that follows much more for them in releasing a Vega 2 that still undercuts the ocmpetition but is a bit more feature rich (better viewing angles, gig of ram, 3g) with HC on than upgrading what they have got?

I'm not criticising or anything this owuld make business sense, and for my 2cents if the price point was right I'd probably get one!

Ralph

Trouble is if you add better screen, 3g, more memory then its basically the same as the competition and therefore will be more expensive (those nice viewing angles dont come cheap!).

Guest stoolzo
Trouble is if you add better screen, 3g, more memory then its basically the same as the competition and therefore will be more expensive (those nice viewing angles dont come cheap!).

has any of the manufacturers actually officially said this tablet variant will get honeycomb?, some have hinted but that means nothing. Personally I don't think it will, they will simply bring out a new version, call it V2 and make us all buy that.

:D

I took mine back as I couldnt live with the poor audio quality, will re-purchase if this is sorted out though as its a really good tablet otherwise

Guest peter a
I think this is an important point - as I understand it, the Advent doesn't have market/apps cos it isn't a phone. But now that HC is out, presumably an official Advent w HC could ship with market and apps. This would make it much more of a proposition for the average currys shopper than it is currently (where it really needs the custom rom to work to it's full potential). The one issue with this logic would be if shuttle/advent came out with a new version specifically for HC, which might be a possibility if Google are insisting on 1GB memory for example...

Look at the xoom it as only the same amount of ram, 512MB, so that isn't a problem.

The one l see is the screen res. The ones running hunnycomb right now like the xoom have 1024 by 800 screens.

Look at a emulator and that screen is the standard size in their too.

Edited by peter a

Guest DublinGuy
Look at the xoom it as only the same amount of ram, 512MB, so that isn't a problem.

The one l see is the screen res. The ones running hunnycomb right now like the xoom have 1024 by 800 screens.

The xoom is defo 1gb...

http://developer.motorola.com/products/com...869,17982,17987

Interesting point re the screen res, hopefully that wouldn't be a sticking point :D

Guest DublinGuy

Here is an official Asus card for their up coming 7" tab, has 1024x600 and honeycomb...

http://cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-content...omb-540x363.jpg

Guest peter a
The xoom is defo 1gb...

http://developer.motorola.com/products/com...869,17982,17987

Interesting point re the screen res, hopefully that wouldn't be a sticking point :D

O.k , you do how a point there.

I waited a youtube video from ces this year, and they was showing off the xoom, and said it's got 32 gigabytes of memory, which the interviewer said 32 gigabytes of ram? , Which the reply was no , inbuilt memory, only 512 megs of ram.

So things most have changed in the last few months.

Edited by peter a

Guest warriorscot

As far as I know the Xoom has always had a full Gb of memory. But remember that internal memory and RAM can be different things. The XOOMs they had at CES probably weren't production models so its possible it was a 512mb ram prototype or they could have meant it had a 512mb memory chip in it on top of the 32Gb of memory or that XOOM didn't have the full 32Gb. The retail spec you buy after release and the floor models at conferences are only very occasionally the same things but the retail spec list has always been the same.

It's probably not going to be as simple as other devices but I am hopeful for honeycomb on the vega. It will certainly be nice even if 2.2 is totally functional with the custom roms but its definitely a want not a need.