Advent Vega now £199

Guest technomonkey

Guest Snowdan

Received mine yesterday when I got home a neighbour had taken it in :D Have only had a play with he stock non-flash ROM just to check all is OK before flashing it. I am surprised how much SlideMe and AppsLib have in them, not an alternative to the market yet but wouldn't hurt to make a deal and have them installed on the in-store models to help sales.

Anyway just one question, I don't know if its the old ROM or if its a problem with my Vega, I have searched the forum for an answer but as you would expect screen problem throws up many many posts about viewing angle and responsiveness. B)

I have seen on few occasion on the install button as an apk installs and on the grey background I have set for Polar Clock (very close in colour) short lines of pixels maybe 4-8 long in a few places on the grey go the wrong colour like a darker shade of grey and stay wrong until I change what's on the screen. Will try to take a picture of the effect if I can reproduce it later, any one else seen this? or think an upgrade in ROM may fix it? I have a horrible feeling it may be a memory problem ;)

Thanks.

Snowdan.

Guest Funar
My wife now getting really fed up of me wandering into a room with my Vega clutched in my hands saying "I love my Vega!"

:D I played with mine in bed last night to about 1:30am. My wife said what the hell have you bought now? Is that an iPad or something. Yes dear B)

I'm one of the new guys this week too so thanks for the welcome guys. I have a few PS3 buddies who recommended the Vega and so far I'm over the moon.

Guest ace_dynamo

Just thought i'd mention that the Vega i bought in PC World on Monday comes with firmware 1.10(not 1.09?) and seems to run angry birds absolutely fine, my first android device so still getting used to the system though.

I know it would've been cheaper to buy from Dixons online but I just couldn't fight the feeling that maybe there might be an improvement in the newer hardware, s'pose i'll never know for sure but I'm happy :D .

Guest phil8715
Just thought i'd mention that the Vega i bought in PC World on Monday comes with firmware 1.10(not 1.09?) and seems to run angry birds absolutely fine, my first android device so still getting used to the system though.

I know it would've been cheaper to buy from Dixons online but I just couldn't fight the feeling that maybe there might be an improvement in the newer hardware, s'pose i'll never know for sure but I'm happy :D .

Is it legal to charge more in store than on the website even though it's the same company?

Is it legal to charge more in store than on the website even though it's the same company?

Yes. In fact it is legal for them to refuse to sell one to you if they don't want to. You are not legally entitled to buy anything at any price.

Edited by .stu

Guest phil8715
Yes. In fact it is legal for them to refuse to sell one to you if they don't want to. You are not legally entitled to buy anything at any price.

Oh well I've ordered mine online at Dixons for 199

Guest GabbaGabbaHey
Stupid PC World insisted on refunding, wouldn't just refund the difference, so they are a sale down now.
I guess that DSG are giving people the choice between buying it in a Currys/PCW shop for £249 and having it instantly, or buying it through Dixons online for £199 and waiting a few days. The overheads of selling through a shop are much higher than online, so I guess part of the price difference goes towards that.

What amuses me are the jokers who are listing them on eBay for £239. Let me think about this - shall I buy a second-hand Vega from somebody on eBay for £239 (plus postage!), or will I buy a brand new one, with full warranty, from a (relatively) reputable retailer for £199? Difficult choice ...

Guest phil8715
I guess that DSG are giving people the choice between buying it in a Currys/PCW shop for £249 and having it instantly, or buying it through Dixons online for £199 and waiting a few days. The overheads of selling through a shop are much higher than online, so I guess part of the price difference goes towards that.

What amuses me are the jokers who are listing them on eBay for £239. Let me think about this - shall I buy a second-hand Vega from somebody on eBay for £239 (plus postage!), or will I buy a brand new one, with full warranty, from a (relatively) reputable retailer for £199? Difficult choice ...

Mmm DSG reputable? That's debatable.

Guest Dave Marchant

Talk about confusing pricing strategy. Tonight on the PC World web site, the Vega is £239.99 mail order without Flash and £229.99 with Flash and Reserve/ Collect in Store.

Dixons web site still have it as £199.99 without Flash and £229.99 with Flash.

Guest tabor56

I finally got a Vega today :-D my girlfriend picked it up from Currys in-store for £229 I think, must be the new price on the Vega

Guest expat2000

Popped into Dixons Travel at Stansted on Tuesday (airside so duty free, allegedly) and they have the Vega for sale at £206 (not sure if it was flash or non-flash version), didn't have time to query why it was more than the online price, will try to get more details next Monday.

Stuart

Guest Funar
Popped into Dixons Travel at Stansted on Tuesday (airside so duty free, allegedly) and they have the Vega for sale at £206 (not sure if it was flash or non-flash version), didn't have time to query why it was more than the online price, will try to get more details next Monday.

Dixons online today is up to £230 anyway. There is still a link to the £199 product, but that now says "Sorry, this product is currently not available." Just proves to me that it was an excellent deal at the time and you can't hang about when you see something as good as that.

Guest phil8715
Dixons online today is up to £230 anyway. There is still a link to the £199 product, but that now says "Sorry, this product is currently not available." Just proves to me that it was an excellent deal at the time and you can't hang about when you see something as good as that.

I rang Dixons on Monday to ask if the £199.99 was the permanent price of the non flash version of the Vega, they said yes!

Good job I put my order in yesterday.

Edited by phil8715