explain fastboot vs recovery please!

Guest ssme

hi,

i'm new to this forum and relatively new to android/rooting/custom roms etc.

i think i have a reasonable understanding of it all now, but one thing i haven't seen explained simply anywhere is:

what exactly is fastboot? how does it work? does it have to be installed as part of a rom package, or can it be installed when a custom rom or a stock rom is already installed? how does it differ from recovery consoles like amonra or clockwork? is it essential to being able to install custom roms?

i'm hoping to root and update my lg gt540 soon, but these things are baffling me so far!

Guest hugobosslives

no you've got the wrong end of the stick here.....

fastboot, isn't something to install on your phone like a rom or recovery image.

in simple terms, people use 'fastboot mode' to flash files or move around files from their computor. for example, once you have the drivers installed on your computor, you can plug your phone in (via usb), turn it on in 'fastboot mode' where it powers up with the green android man on the screen and stays like that. and then open a command prompt (on the pc) and then transfer or flash files such as a clockwork image. this is how alot of people flash CWM.

it means you can flash stuff without booting up your phone. and, once you understand it, it is easier.

though, for you, as it sounds like you don't understand computor stuff, i would stay away from this kinda stuff unless you are keen on getting into android, properly.

you don't need it to flash custom roms etc. for this you just need to install a recovery image (such as clockwork) which can also be done by apps such as rom manager. i think you would find doing it this way soo much easier (no offense)