[SOLVED]Anyone else suffering from bad GPS performance?

Guest aMpeX

Guest aMpeX

Hey folks,

after some testing and (even) a hard reset, I now want to share my problems with the GPS receiver of the LG Optimus 2X and

maybe learn about solutions you found.

I am currently on stock V10b with "dirty" kernel and 20110218 baseband.

Locking to GPS satellites takes forever. If a lock has been established, subsequent locks are fast, but if I try several hours later, the

whole sharade starts over. I've tried obtaining up to date A GPS data with GPS status from the market, but that doesn't seem to work.

On XDA, in some thread a user suggested a Hard Reset of the phone, after that, I still have the behaviour described above.

I'm particularly jealous of the GPS performance of my buddies desire HD, who seems to get GPS locks in no time.

Does anyone else have this issue or resolved it with a new baseband/kernel/ROM flash? Any other tweaks I could apply? (I read somewhere

that editing the gps.conf file noticeably speeds up the locking process)

Cheers

aMpeX

Update: The following procedures did the trick for me:

1) (ROOT required)

Create gps.conf file and push it to /system/etc/ the file should look something like this:

NTP_SERVER=XY.pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276
replace XY with your country identifier from http://www.pool.ntp.org/

e.g. if you are located in germany it should look like this

NTP_SERVER=de.pool.ntp.org
copy the file to the location of your adb.exe and use the following commands
adb remount rw /system/

adb push gps.conf /system/etc/gps.conf

I used the shell root from superoneclick. You may have to grant su permissions if you are permanently rooted.

2) (No ROOT required)

Go To Settings => Wireless => Mobile Network => Access points

Select your access point and edit the APN-Type to "default,supl" (or "default,supl,mms" if the APN also serves your MMS thx djcnz)

If you can not select your APN because it is greyed out, use APN backup & restore.

Backup all APNs, delete all APNs and restore them afterwards (Attention, this gave me a list of ~350 APNs and a force close of the settings pane, but once I re-entered the settings, it worked normally). (THx to Formel-LMS for this hint)

This tweak, however only seems to work on mobile networks, so you have to deactivate WiFi and activate mobile data to speed up the fix.

Cheers

aMpeX

Edited by aMpeX

Guest SASA'77
Hey folks,

after some testing and (even) a hard reset, I now want to share my problems with the GPS receiver of the LG Optimus 2X and

maybe learn about solutions you found.

I am currently on stock V10b with "dirty" kernel and 20110218 baseband.

Locking to GPS satellites takes forever. If a lock has been established, subsequent locks are fast, but if I try several hours later, the

whole sharade starts over. I've tried obtaining up to date A GPS data with GPS status from the market, but that doesn't seem to work.

On XDA, in some thread a user suggested a Hard Reset of the phone, after that, I still have the behaviour described above.

I'm particularly jealous of the GPS performance of my buddies desire HD, who seems to get GPS locks in no time.

Does anyone else have this issue or resolved it with a new baseband/kernel/ROM flash? Any other tweaks I could apply? (I read somewhere

that editing the gps.conf file noticeably speeds up the locking process)

Cheers

aMpeX

Excellent idea to solve the problems of the fix, I'd be interested also to improve the performance of our terminal.

Paul do you see if you can solve :-)

The phone actually writes an error in the log at startup saying it can't find the gps.conf, so that would be a good start. I'll have a root around and see what I can find. :D

P

it is very slow indeed. when it finds sattelites and 'fixes' it seems that for the first 30 seconds the speeds are unrealiable. it seems to ramp up or calibrate pretty slowly before it becomes stable. therefore it seems it doesn't really support proper a-gps at this time.

and if gps.conf is not there it also explains why fasterfix never shows more than a black screen, i guess it needs it to run :-P

Guest vanahaim

Try this:

Hiden menu (google LG Optimus 2X Hidden Menu) - GPS Test - System settings:

- and in SUPL Settings check Auto provision, in Server Setting LG SUPL

- in C-Plane Settings check Assistance data

- in Misc. Auto Cold Start

It isnĀ“t so good as tweaking gps.conf, but better than nothing :D

Guest sebsal

If there's one thing I can't complain about on my 2x it's the gps. Connects in about 4 seconds. Best I've ever experienced on a phone. Now, if I could only charge it without it switching off...

Guest akira de aimbuster

I am suffering from the poor gps performance too.

@vanahaim, after applying your solution, I haven't notice any significant change. Thanks anyway.

And thanks Paul for looking into this problem too :D

and yea, I am using 20110218 too, v10a though, I think it is possible that the baseband caused problem.

Edited by akira de aimbuster

Guest Meychi

I got it working when i deleted the default APN's and manually added correct APN's. To the main APN i added "default,supl" as the type. Not sure how this could affect it but this is all i did and it worked instantly after these mods.

Guest aMpeX
The phone actually writes an error in the log at startup saying it can't find the gps.conf, so that would be a good start. I'll have a root around and see what I can find. :D

P

I can confirm that this file is also missing on my phone. Do you think it would be any harm to simply add one?

Guest Stefing
If there's one thing I can't complain about on my 2x it's the gps. Connects in about 4 seconds. Best I've ever experienced on a phone. Now, if I could only charge it without it switching off...

Mine looks to be very good too - tested using the GPS status app.

Guest aMpeX

I pushed a gps.conf to the appropriate location today. Will post any improvements I'm seeing.

The fix from the cyanogen forums doesn't seem to work for me. All settings in the APN pane are greyed out :D

Guest vanahaim
I pushed a gps.conf to the appropriate location today. Will post any improvements I'm seeing.

The fix from the cyanogen forums doesn't seem to work for me. All settings in the APN pane are greyed out :D

I did this day ago..but nothing noticeable.. B)

EDIT:

...but when the supl server is the same in hidden menu settings/gps.conf there is a little improvement.

Edited by vanahaim

Guest Formel-LMS

Install APN Backup and restore from Market.

Delete all APNs with this app and make a manual configuration in Android APN Settings.

Done!

Then it's not greyed out and you can do the "supl"

Guest aMpeX
Install APN Backup and restore from Market.

Delete all APNs with this app and make a manual configuration in Android APN Settings.

Done!

Then it's not greyed out and you can do the "supl"

awesome, will try it later. Thank you!

Guest akira de aimbuster

after apply the default,sulp I notice I cant turn off my 3g using APN on off anymore, and it is leeching my bandwidth.

weird problem.

Guest aMpeX

Used APN B&R and it worked like a charm.

The fix seems to work, however, I have to disable WiFi in order for the phone to fetch data from the APN, so basically my GPS doesn't lock fast with wifi on.

Disabled it for now though, I won't have unlimited data until next week :)

I'll be updating the first post accordingly.

Cheers

aMpeX

Guest Boergen

Hi aMpeX,

I tried applying your fix to the /system/ directory, but my shell (FR8) seems to lack the "remount" command:

adb-windows.exe shell

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

# su

su

# remount rw /system/

remount rw /system/

remount: not found

Can you perhaps point me into the right direction? :)

Regards

Boergen

Guest aMpeX

I didn't remember the procedure correctly.

This one should be right:

adb remount

you need to be rooted for this. I used the shell root from superoneclick. I don't know the appropriate procedure if you are permanently rooted.

Edited by aMpeX

Guest Boergen
I didn't remember the procedure correctly.

This one should be right:

adb remount

you need to be rooted for this. I used the shell root from superoneclick. I don't know the appropriate procedure if you are permanently rooted.

Yeah, that worked. Thanks alot.

One remark:

Wouldn't it be possible to use a generic NTP server like ntp.nasa.gov or maybe some google based NTP pool?

If so, one gps.conf could be used for all countries. It could even be included in future ROMs.

Boergen

Guest aMpeX

As far as I understand, the NTP servers are only used for time synchronization, so, latency aside, I don't think it matters which NTP server you use. But the NASA servers behave like the other servers, I don't see a problem here.

Guest Boergen
As far as I understand, the NTP servers are only used for time synchronization, so, latency aside, I don't think it matters which NTP server you use. But the NASA servers behave like the other servers, I don't see a problem here.

Well, then... Let's just use the whole ntp.org pool:

NTP_SERVER=pool.ntp.org

XTRA_SERVER_1=http://xtra1.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_2=http://xtra2.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

XTRA_SERVER_3=http://xtra3.gpsonextra.net/xtra.bin

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com

SUPL_PORT=7276

That should work on any device.

I see an Fr11 change coming:

* fixed GPS lag

:)