Micro USB socket faulty? Mains Charger(s) stopped working but USB charging works ok

Guest NorthRiding

Guest NorthRiding

Have a strange problem with my OSF Oled running SS rls4.

Plugged stock mains charger in as I have done a hundred times in the past 4 months of ownership and it showed no signs of charging ie battery icon didn't show the "normal" charging symbol (flash/flashing).

Thought it could be the micro usb socket on the phone so tried my wife's Mains charger (also OSF) and still no signs of charging. Interchanged USB leads and mains chargers and still no signs of charging. Her phone was ok with both chargers/mains leads.

I left it for a while to see if it was charging without indication but it showed discharging. Checked "About Phone"/status each time and it did not show "AC charging" which it should have done on mains charger?

Plugged it into my laptop's USB socket and all is ok, it is charging properly, the symbol is flash/flashing and it is charging up. The phone "status" shows "Charging/USB" and all works ok. Back to mains and nothing. Tried reboots, refitting battery and micro usb socket looks ok visually.

By a process of elimination, it looks like there is something amiss with the micro usb socket and mains input as the symptoms occur with 2 different mains chargers?

Has anybody else had this problem or has any ideas, I searched through quite a few posts and couldn't find anybody having the same problem.

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest NorthRiding
I have noticed the same thing, i think its a rom problem cuz it also happening for me on swedish spring rls4

Thanks for that ManMetDeHamer, it is interesting that I am not the only one.

I installed SwedishSpring RLS4b on 5 April I think it was and it has worked fine charging on mains until last night ie worked ok for 5/6 days, charging more than once per day sometimes and it was always ok no problem.

Will try it in the car on my car charger (worked ok there couple of days ago) but if it is just a "A/C mains" problem, that probably won't help much?

Will try to flash back to my second favourite rom flb10b (which I always used until flibblesan recommended moving to SS as he had done all he could with flb roms) to see whether the mains charging returns.

Could it be the rom please kallt kaffe??

Guest wookie16081965
Thanks for that ManMetDeHamer, it is interesting that I am not the only one.

I installed SwedishSpring RLS4b on 5 April I think it was and it has worked fine charging on mains until last night ie worked ok for 5/6 days, charging more than once per day sometimes and it was always ok no problem.

Will try it in the car on my car charger (worked ok there couple of days ago) but if it is just a "A/C mains" problem, that probably won't help much?

Will try to flash back to my second favourite rom flb10b (which I always used until flibblesan recommended moving to SS as he had done all he could with flb roms) to see whether the mains charging returns.

Could it be the rom please kallt kaffe??

is your wifes phone using a different rom than yours

Edited by wookie16081965

Guest NorthRiding
is your wifes phone using a different rom than yours

Yes, sorry, forgot to mention that - she is still on flb9 which is working fine so didn't bother to change it (she doesn't like to change things once she has "conquered" them - including me......).

Am just trying to flash back to flb10b which I had before and I will post when I have anything else on this problem.

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest NorthRiding

Yep, looks like it is my phone (hardware?/socket?) and it is NOT the rom.

I have just been back to flb10 and the same problem is there so probably not the SS rls4 rom.

Not sure what to do now, will either have to change the phone or charge using USB. Will check the car charger when I get a minute.

Just noticed (having flashed back to SS rls4) that when I plug in the USB to my laptop, the status shows "Charging AC" for a couple of seconds and then changes to "Charging USB" but at least it is charging on the USB and not discharging as it does on the "AC mains"

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest ManMetDeHamer

Did you turnoff the usb charging in the swedish spring rom extra settings. i think you have to do that to have it charge from ac.

tho this setting only worked for like 2 charges. now when i conect it it says charging ac for one second and then just stops charging, if i turn on the usb charging it will charge but at much lower speed.

Guest sambartle

As far as I know the only thing that's different between a mains charger and a USB one is that on a mains charger.. the middle 2 USB pins are shorted together (or to ground I don't remember) to indicate to the phone that it is ok to pull more current.

If you hook up to a PC and try and put the phone into USB Drive mode does it work can you see it on the PC?

If so it's almost guaranteed to be a software problem somewhere.. however if changing ROMs doesnt fix it it may be more difficult to fix.. I'm not sure where the charging control sits.. Id have assumed it was a hardware logic and not flashable.. but maybe the OS does have control of it.. perhaps TPT'ing the Hungarian ROM would resolve it? (that may be overkill someone might be able to suggest a quicker fix)

Edited by sambartle

Guest NorthRiding
Did you turnoff the usb charging in the swedish spring rom extra settings. i think you have to do that to have it charge from ac.

tho this setting only worked for like 2 charges. now when i conect it it says charging ac for one second and then just stops charging, if i turn on the usb charging it will charge but at much lower speed.

Have not changed anything in "extra settings" since installing ss4 however I have just turned off USB charging and there was no difference. Have put it back on again.

Thanks for the tip - didn't think of looking in there.

Have not changed anything at all nor installed anything since it last charged up on mains (night before last). I normally plug it in at night and let it charge overnight. Worked ok until last night and then no ac charge?

Guest NorthRiding
If you hook up to a PC and try and put the phone into USB Drive mode does it work can you see it on the PC?

If so it's almost guaranteed to be a software problem somewhere.. however if changing ROMs doesnt fix it it may be more difficult to fix.. I'm not sure where the charging control sits.. Id have assumed it was a hardware logic and not flashable.. but maybe the OS does have control of it.. perhaps TPT'ing the Hungarian ROM would resolve it? (that may be overkill someone might be able to suggest a quicker fix)

Hooked up to pc ok and recognised and read all files immediately.

Have changed the roms using flb10 and ss4 and symptoms the same on both - no AC charging.

Have also connected it to my car charger and that also worked ok.

It worked fine until last night and I haven't done anything to it (as far as I am aware??). Thanks for your help.

Don't know what to do or try next????????????

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest Redflake

Same problem here. I also had swedish spring rom on the phone. Also converted it to gen2. Now ruuning cm7 but still not charging on AC. First it charged on AC when phone was asleep but not when phoned turned off. Now its not charging on ac at all. :)

Guest NorthRiding
hmm so it looks like something is happening when installing swedish spring rls4

Mine was running fine on ss rls4 for 4/5 days before this problem started so it is probably not the installation of the rom but something which causes it to happen at a later stage.

Could it be a hardware problem seeing as there are only a few people reporting the problem - I was unable to find any previous posts referring to AC charging.

Also interesting that it only seems to be ss rls4 roms which create this problem. sambartles comment "it's almost guaranteed to be a software problem somewhere" was also interesting and I am a little re-assured that others have this problem, I was assuming that I had damaged the "micro usb socket" on the phone - which may yet be true...........

I think I will re- install ss rls4 (which I find is very, very good otherwise - particularly in the battery use area) with a full wipe and reset so see if it does it immediately on re-installation. Will probably try this later today. Thanks to all for their help.

Guest ManMetDeHamer
Mine was running fine on ss rls4 for 4/5 days before this problem started so it is probably not the installation of the rom but something which causes it to happen at a later stage.

Could it be a hardware problem seeing as there are only a few people reporting the problem - I was unable to find any previous posts referring to AC charging.

Also interesting that it only seems to be ss rls4 roms which create this problem. sambartles comment "it's almost guaranteed to be a software problem somewhere" was also interesting and I am a little re-assured that others have this problem, I was assuming that I had damaged the "micro usb socket" on the phone - which may yet be true...........

I think I will re- install ss rls4 (which I find is very, very good otherwise - particularly in the battery use area) with a full wipe and reset so see if it does it immediately on re-installation. Will probably try this later today. Thanks to all for their help.

I dont think the socket is damage cuz if it was, i dont think i could charge at all. and i can still charge it in usb mode + hook it up to my computer and transfer files.

Guest NorthRiding
I dont think the socket is damage cuz if it was, i dont think i could charge at all. and i can still charge it in usb mode + hook it up to my computer and transfer files.

Yes, that is very true and it looks ok too (despite being used a lot in the past couple of months).

I have just now tried flashing ss rls4 and no change so I will do a complete wipe and re-set and re-install ss rls4 and see what happens.

NO CHANGE after doing a complete re-set and re-install. Still no AC charging whilst USB charging is ok.

Don't know what to try next.

The common factor seems to be the installation of SS rls4 although it doesn't "go away" when reverting to another rom.

Ideas anyone?

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest Redflake

Ok got it charging on AC again.

Steps I took.

Phone was running CM7 N38

unzipped swedish spring rls4b and removed ssparts.apk (extra settings)

Put ssparts.apk on sd card on phone.

Installed ssparts.

Turned usb charging of and then on again in extra settings.

Rebooted phone.

uninstalled extra settings.

Rebooted to recovery.

Flashed CM7 stable without wipe.

Phone just charged from 77% to 100% in 40 mins on AC.

Fingers crossed it keeps working. :)

Guest NorthRiding

Steps I took.

Installed ssparts.

Rebooted phone.

Rebooted to recovery.

That's very interesting - will have a go at mine.

Please let us know please if it continues to charge ok on AC - I am pretty certain that 40mins from 77-100% is a lot slower than mine used to charge but much, much better than no charge at all. Thanks Redflake,

Guest jeddy1

Please let us know please if it continues to charge ok on AC - I am pretty certain that 40mins from 77-100% is a lot slower than mine used to charge but much, much better than no charge at all. Thanks Redflake,

but what is it if u go back to stock rom once?

Guest Redflake

Yea will keep an eye on it and let you know. Will put it back on charge tonight. Definitely looks like some sort of software bug, surprised there’s not more folk on here with the problem.

Unless it's some wierd combination of settings or something. I thought I might have changed a setting in extra settings but not rebooted before I flashed another rom.

Always thought I'd end up ******* it up by keep messing with it. Looks like it might live to fight another day. :)

(What could possibly go wrong! & Because I can) should be my tag lines.

Guest NorthRiding
Yea will keep an eye on it and let you know. Will put it back on charge tonight. Definitely looks like some sort of software bug, surprised there’s not more folk on here with the problem.

Unless it's some wierd combination of settings or something. I thought I might have changed a setting in extra settings but not rebooted before I flashed another rom.

Always thought I'd end up ******* it up by keep messing with it. Looks like it might live to fight another day. :)

(What could possibly go wrong! & Because I can) should be my tag lines.

Yes, I was surprised how much messing about I had got away with (until now) - SS rls4b was running beautifully for a few days before this problem occurred.

I never actually changed anything in Extra settings other than when I saw a post that someone had a faster running phone or app or something like that by changing the settings in HW UI. When I found mine no different I changed it back straight away.

I then used/ran my phone on RLS4 for a few days and then suddenly, for no reason, as far as I remember I did nothing and when putting it on to charge overnight, I got no AC charge. So it was not directly as a result of doing something to ExtraSettings - as you say some sort of software bug?

Tips and tricks on page 1 said - New in RLS4 - Hardare UI accelleration made default (can be turned off with "Extra Settings"-app) so I have just realised that I was actually turning it off? Other than that, I had not done anything at all with ExtraSettings and it worked ok for a few days.

Have tried something like what you did in your detailed instructions,(but not exactly because I want to stay on SS RLS4 if possible) but no joy with the AC charging problem. Will have a deep think about how I can get around this and re-install a good working ROM.

I thought a complete wipe and re-install would leave the phone part "clean" ready for a re-install. Did this when I tried flb r10b (my second choice) expecting that to at least be ok and there was still no AC charge on that?

Guest Redflake

Think i only changed Hardare UI accelleration so who knows. Fingers crossed it keeps working and hope you get yours sorted. Will report back tomorrow.

Guest NorthRiding

Steps I took.

Installed ssparts.

Rebooted phone.

Rebooted to recovery.

Thanks for all your help Redflake but just spent a couple of hours trying to go through the same procedure as you have done with first flb10b and then with my SS rls4b and unfortunately, nothing has changed - still unable to charge on AC. I even went back and tried Stock orange and also no AC charge there so whatever has been done/changed (looks like it could have been in Extra Settings??) appears to be there permanently.

The only thing I have noticed is that when (and if) I have my OSF on Settings/About Phone/Status and then insert my USB/micro USB into phone to charge it, it shows AC Charging for about 3 or 5 seconds and then switches to USB Charging? Perhaps this is normal?

Don't know what to do next..............I had better check that it still charges in the car and if that ok, and the USB on my laptop/hub ok, then I will have to just do it with those which could be a bit of a pain when I go away without my laptop and without my car.

Have any of the others who are having this problem, able to charge AC having gone through the Redflake procedure, please post and let us know.

Thanks to all.

Any ideas KK please.

Guest Redflake

"The only thing I have noticed is that when (and if) I have my OSF on Settings/About Phone/Status and then insert my USB/micro USB into phone to charge it, it shows AC Charging for about 3 or 5 seconds and then switches to USB Charging? Perhaps this is normal?"

Thats what mine was doing but now it stays on charging AC.

Guest NorthRiding
"The only thing I have noticed is that when (and if) I have my OSF on Settings/About Phone/Status and then insert my USB/micro USB into phone to charge it, it shows AC Charging for about 3 or 5 seconds and then switches to USB Charging? Perhaps this is normal?"

Thats what mine was doing but now it stays on charging AC.

Glad to see you can still charge on AC - well done but are you saying it stays on "charging AC" now even when you are plugged into USB/laptop?