Micro USB socket faulty? Mains Charger(s) stopped working but USB charging works ok

Guest NorthRiding

Guest Redflake
Glad to see you can still charge on AC - well done but are you saying it stays on "charging AC" now even when you are plugged into USB/laptop?

No. says charging Ac when on AC and charging usb when plugged into laptop.

Guest NorthRiding
No. says charging Ac when on AC and charging usb when plugged into laptop.

Sorry, yes, that's what I thought you meant.

I am tearing my hair out trying to solve this problem, I am lucky that my wife has an OSF on flg 9 with charger so I know it is definitely something which has changed in my phone - as you say - probably a bug related to Extra Settings in SS rls 4b but I have now run out of ideas but will still be thinking about it all the time and charging phone up on USB.............Thanks for your help.

Guest Paden
Sorry, yes, that's what I thought you meant.

I am tearing my hair out trying to solve this problem, I am lucky that my wife has an OSF on flg 9 with charger so I know it is definitely something which has changed in my phone - as you say - probably a bug related to Extra Settings in SS rls 4b but I have now run out of ideas but will still be thinking about it all the time and charging phone up on USB.............Thanks for your help.

Sorry to hear about your problem

Did you clear your battery stats when wiping your phone?

Just a guess but there might be something screwy in there.

Good luck!

Cheers, Paul

Guest wrtease

okay i have read your problem and think its software related.

i noticed you did not change your sdcard. it could have a fault on it or it needs completly formated .then. as you say your wife has got the same mobile..i have an idea that might help you.could you completly format your sdcard from your pc. then.get your wifes mobile and copy the full contents of her sdcard to a folder on yor pc name it .then paste all into it.next step would be to connect your mobile to pc and copy the contents of your wifes sdcard from the folder back to your sdcard then when done reboot.install ss4 after you have checked that you can charge from mains.hope this sorts your ac charging problem.anyway you can always have a backup on pc if you get into problems.i have always copied all roms i have tested out to my pc.so if i want to go back to the one i want then just use restore from your cwm okay trying to help other members with problems.good luck. ps im using flb10 okay.

Guest NorthRiding

Thanks Guys, I shall give your suggestions a try. Hopefully, between us we should find a solution. Not sure what is happening with the others (other than Redflake) with the same problem?

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Ran it down to 75% and charged back upto 100% on AC in about 30 mins.

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your battery! :)

Guest NorthRiding
Thanks Guys, I shall give your suggestions a try. Hopefully, between us we should find a solution. Not sure what is happening with the others (other than Redflake) with the same problem?

I am still trying with no success. Still able to charge USB ok but NO AC Mains charging???? Have tried most suggestions and spent a couple of hours reading forums and other items but nothing points to the answer yet but believe that it may be connected with "Extra Settings" on SS rls4b however I am pretty sure that because there have been very few other posters with this problem, I have come to believe it must be a hardware/socket problem on my phone.

Edited by NorthRiding

Guest Redflake
I am still trying with no success. Still able to charge USB ok but NO AC Mains charging???? Have tried most suggestions and spent a couple of hours reading forums and other items but nothing points to the answer yet but believe that it may be connected with "Extra Settings" on SS rls4b however I am pretty sure that because there have been very few other posters with this problem, I have come to believe it must be a hardware/socket problem on my phone.

Try CM7. I've upgraded my phone to gen2 so can only run swedish spring or cm7. Although the phone will show charging AC sometimes on swedish spring the battery percentage will not go up. If I put CM7 back on it will charge correctly.

Edited by Redflake

Guest NorthRiding
Try CM7. I've upgraded my phone to gen2 so can only run swedish spring or cm7. Although the phone will show charging AC sometimes on swedish spring the battery percentage will not go up. If I put CM7 back on it will charge correctly.

Yes thanks Redflake, tried CM7 and still no AC charging. I am now pretty well sure as I can be that it is a hardware/socket problem. I was very happy with SS rls4 for 4 or 5 days when I was using it, everything worked for me until the AC charging problem appeared . Your help is appreciated.

Guest Rooster#1

Might be playing "devils advocate" here... but HOW does the phone "know" what type of charger is connected ? :) I doubt the ROM would "know" either...

Guest craggs

Im not sure if this is the same but ive had a similar issue with roms going back the flb rl6

not just with SS,,the issue is when the phone is plugged in the the AC mains it shows USB in MENU>SETTINGS>ABOUT PHONE>STATUS

What is results in is a mega slow charge,,Ive tried to sort this out,trying various methods and only ever seems to sort it out for a few days at a time.

The mrs OSF does the same,I think its happening with more people than they realise as a lot of people dont always go into the settings checking the status.

Guest handful

I have had similar issues with my Blade running JJ RLS8. I noticed first that if I used my charger it would say it was charging but wouldn't actually charge. If I used USB it would charge ok. I thought I'd try the OH's charger and it charged fine. I bought a new charger and that seems ok as well but I am now getting a few random issues with the OH's when it seems to get stuck and won't charge despite the green battery indicator looking like it is charging ok. My new one still working ok at present. A bit temperamental to say the least. Didn't stop me buying another one though. Now a 4 Blade family :)

Spose I was saying to those having issues, try another charger!!

Edited by handful

Guest Coyote74

Hi guys, i have the same problem. I have got 2 Blades, one by Orange France (TFT) and one by Bouygues France (OLED). The first has a usb charger (like iPhone) , the second a standard charger. With the stock roms the standard charger worked fine, but after i updated phones to JJ9 (orange one) and FLB r10b (bouygues one) it stopped working. Instead the usb charger of the Orange Blade is going to work and still works fine my iPhone 4 charger connected to Blades. It seems that the Bouygues Blade standard charger could be broken, but i tested it with a Nokia phone and it works fine. It must be a software problem.

Guest Redflake

I'm back on rls5 after charging on AC stopped working in CM7 as well.

I've now got mine charging again using a charger for the LG pop.

Guest Kame_boy

This happened to mine as well this morning.

It's an orange san francisco (oled) gen1 from the uk and i have been using SS RLS4(:) for some time without problems. I did a conversion using windows-tool to Gen2 3 days ago, prior to installing CM7 nightly v41 and havn't had a problem until today.

I had put the phone to charge (AC) last night from 15% and it was still 15% when i woke up. The phone looked as if it was charging (that is, the charging-battery icon moved) but it hadn't charged at all.

Thinking it had perhaps charged up to 100% at some point in the middle of the night, only to go down to 15% by the time i woke up, i went to see the battery-information. The stats/graph/plot showed a straight line on 15% for the last 8 hours. Obviously, the phone is normally unable to maintain the same charged state/percent for more than an hour or so, so the phone must have used some juice from the outlet to maintain this level of charge.

Anyway, i turned the phone off and back on again. Now the battery was at 38%. I put it to charge once again and now it was working as usual. An hour later it was on about 89%.

My guess is that this is a software problem. Never had the problem on any 2.2 rom though.

Guest sumdumguy

Same here, tpt'd from gen1 to gen2 and installed swedish spring5 rom last night, now i've got the "stuck %" charging when using the AC but it's fine from just the usb.

• 1 month later...
Guest craggs

This is an ongoing issue,ive had it since FLbr6 ROM.

What happens with me is sometimes when i plug the AC charger in,it will show in status AC for 2-3 seconds then turn to USB and take forever to charge up.

only a reboot will solve it short term,,ss 4-5 are the same,at some point it will revert back to doing it again.

My mrs is the same,she has had flb r10 and now 11,,

the problem is its more than likely happening to more people than they know,but as long as its charging,people just leave it and never check the stutus to see if its showing usb when plugged into AC,,i only noticed it as it was taking so long to charge up on AC sometimes..

I started about this issue a long time ago,and people was just replying with 'i have no issue with charging'

well now the OSF is becoming more popular im now starting to see this issue filter through from other people,its slow but im hoping it will get solved at some point,,but it is a rom proplem.

The issue is intermittent,I just revert to restarting the phone now,,it gets worse if you turn the usb charging is messed with in extra settings,,as it will then sometimes not charge at all with AC.

Hi craggs and other sufferers,

I think you are right about this happening to more people than they realise.

I've noticed it for a while when the phone seemed to take ages to charge up. It was this exact problem were the phone drops down to USB charging mode (low current) even from a mains charger.

I now use an widget called 'Minimalistic Text' which can be configured to display the charging mode on screen without having to go into phone status etc.

For me it seems to occur more if I've been using a lot of apps during the day. If I go into Task Manager and stop some of them it seems to cure the problem. Sometimes a reboot is the only cure. Maybe it's a memory issue or something, I don't know. B****y annoying though! :D

Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mozster

I noticed this happening on my CM7 Stable (7.0.3) build where previously my phone had been able to AC charge but was no longer doing it and only drawing the reduced current (USB charging)

so I updated to Nightly 100 last night and cleared the dalvik cache and battery stats...

It appears to have made a difference - phone was AC charging in the car on the way to work this morning!

Guest sm4tik

So.. no actual solution for this? I've noticed the same since SS RLS4 (my first custom rom), don't know if it would've happened on the stock one, since I had it on my phone for about a day or so. Still happening for me with CM7 N100 and not even a reboot makes any difference, I have to power off before I get my AC charging back.

@ManMetDeHamer: With the mod the phone charges at full power even if the battery status is saying "charging USB", did I understand correctly? Or will it force the phone into AC charging mode?

edit: I just read from Saunalahti forum that it also happens with stock roms..

Edited by sm4tik

Guest RussellS

I'm having similar issues with mine although mine doesn't say USB charging when plugged into the mains charger. When plugged into the mains charger (original ZTE one) the charging indicator comes up on the phone and it says "Charging (AC)". However the phone doesn't charge and the battery just stays at the same percentage. However, if I plug it into a USB hub it says "Charging (USB)" and the phone charges up fine albeit slowly.

This only appears to have happened since upgrading the phone from Gen1 to Gen2 so I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Perhaps later I will try TPTing it back to Gen1 and see if the mains charging works ok then.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I have the same charging problem with CyanogenMod 7 (N104) and Swedish Spring RLS5 since upgrading to Gen2.

Edited by RussellS

Guest mozster

I'd be interested to know whether switching to Gen1 fixes this...

Does anyone know if the Gen2 radio firmware is a binary blob? Are we likely to get a fix if this is the case?