General Gen1/Gen2 CyanogenMod 7 Rumours

Guest Matthew Ferguson

Guest Matthew Ferguson
that's not cool... I don't really want to upgrade my phone to gen2.

Then just use KK's converter to recompile the kernel. He's working on something :)

Guest MDCFan
Then just use KK's converter to recompile the kernel. He's working on something :)

Doesn't it just replace the kernel with the one included in converter?

Then you might not get the same results with converted ROM.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Doesn't it just replace the kernel with the one included in converter?

Then you might not get the same results with converted ROM.

Wrong, if you read the thread he posted you'd see that. It recompiles the kernel in the ROM, so uses whatever the latest you're running is, and also removes a few libs.

Guest MDCFan
Wrong, if you read the thread he posted you'd see that. It recompiles the kernel in the ROM, so uses whatever the latest you're running is, and also removes a few libs.

Quote: "Dumps & unpacks existing boot.img and replaces kernel (but keeps original ramdisk) and reflashes it."

It's nice, but might not cover everything.

Edited by MDCFan

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Quote: "Dumps & unpacks existing boot.img and replaces kernel (but keeps original ramdisk) and reflashes it."

It's nice, but might not cover everything.

But you yourself said "Doesn't it just replace the kernel with the one included in converter?", which is wrong.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
And we are still FAR from having a "stable" CM7 ...

Erm, WOW, everyone knows that "stable" is just a name, and overall, the phone itself is stable.

Guest The Soup Thief
And we are still FAR from having a "stable" CM7 ...

Really surprised you'd say that! The "Stable" release is steady as a rock - way more so than the rom that the phone was released with, for example, and (since I'm having no difficulties whatsoever in my day to day use of it, with about 45% battery use per 24hrs of moderate webbage and phonery) I have to say that functionally I'm finding it exactly as stable as the best of the other custom ROMs I've used so far, ie no crashes - radio, usb tethering etc will come with time

Also from my understanding, CM is never really gonna be "stable" as in "static" as in "finished" until developers move on to CM8. Its an ongoing project and will be built on an developed further and further, just as with Android generally

Sorry - I'm off topic, but I just don't want people misled about this super rom

Guest alex1alex2alex3alex4
Really surprised you'd say that! The "Stable" release is steady as a rock - way more so than the rom that the phone was released with, for example, and (since I'm having no difficulties whatsoever in my day to day use of it, with about 45% battery use per 24hrs of moderate webbage and phonery) I have to say that functionally I'm finding it exactly as stable as the best of the other custom ROMs I've used so far, ie no crashes - radio, usb tethering etc will come with time

Also from my understanding, CM is never really gonna be "stable" as in "static" as in "finished" until developers move on to CM8. Its an ongoing project and will be built on an developed further and further, just as with Android generally

Sorry - I'm off topic, but I just don't want people misled about this super rom

For me personally things improved until (and including) N36, n37 + n38 were the first to

introduce me to screen freezes etc..

Erm, WOW, everyone knows that "stable" is just a name

Ok, so when you unpack your box labeled "dishwasher" and find a vacuum cleaner inside

you wouldn't be surprised ?

and overall, the phone itself is stable.

Well, in that case I'll sell you flat tires, please don't complain, your car itself is fine :)

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Ok, so when you unpack your box labeled "dishwasher" and find a vacuum cleaner inside

Well, in that case I'll sell you flat tires, please don't complain, your car itself is fine :)

I'm sorry, I fail to see how this ridiculous analogy relates to a phone at all?

If I paid for a vacuum cleaner and it came in a dishwasher box, I'd be fine with that, which is what THIS is. If anything, your analogy would argue that they advertise it as Gingerbread and it's actually Froyo. Your analogy makes no sense.

Also, flat tires on a car has nothing to do with minimal issues on phone software. Please read this through and stop being so stupid.

Guest Swimmerboy

I don't have a problem with this ROM at all. If you're not happy being at the bleeding edge, then stick with the stock ROM, or one of the Froyo variants.

For myself, I like tinkering around and seeing what things can be made to do. It fulfils all my needs, and seems stable as any of the Froyo ROMs (even if FM Radio doesn't work) so I couldn't be happier with it. The Blade is my phone, and gets its ROM re-flashed multiple times per week. I've got a Desire for work that hasn't been flashed in months because I need that one to just work and don't want to be pissing about with it.

Horses for courses and all that.

I'm sorry, I fail to see how this ridiculous analogy relates to a phone at all?

If I paid for a vacuum cleaner and it came in a dishwasher box, I'd be fine with that, which is what THIS is. If anything, your analogy would argue that they advertise it as Gingerbread and it's actually Froyo. Your analogy makes no sense.

When you advertise something as being "stable", you expect it to be, if (as you say) a name just isn't important

and not bearing any relevance at all, why not call it CM7 Joe Bloggs, CM7 0.234709342023 or anything meaningless

to the average user ?

Also, flat tires on a car has nothing to do with minimal issues on phone software. Please read this through and stop being so stupid.

You said "the phone itself is stable", when you mean "the phone software" and not "the phone", please say so.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
When you advertise something as being "stable", you expect it to be, if (as you say) a name just isn't important

and not bearing any relevance at all, why not call it CM7 Joe Bloggs, CM7 0.234709342023 or anything meaningless

to the average user ?

You said "the phone itself is stable", when you mean "the phone software" and not "the phone", please say so.

They're not "advertising anything" they're giving away software they've worked for months on FOR FREE. The CM features itself are stable, as is the phone software and the phone itself. You're just being pedantic, as you've made a fool of yourself.

I don't have a problem with this ROM at all. If you're not happy being at the bleeding edge, then stick with the stock ROM, or one of the Froyo variants.

I do, I reverted back to N36 as this appears to be the most "stable" version, N37 introduced me to

screen freezes and when you look at the "nightlies thread" you will see reports of the "stable"

version just shutting down the phone (so much for "the phone (software) itself is stable").

I don't complain about the fact, I use what's a compromise between bleeding edge an stable,

I'm happy to be a beta tester, all I'm saying is for me something IS in a name.

Guest Michealtbh

to the average user ?

You clearly have no idea how Cyanogenmod works. It isn't Blade specific, its developed for a lot of different devices. For the majority of other devices it is pretty much finished, bug free and stable, so a stable release is announced. Blade entered development late on in the life of cm7 so hasn't had time to develop as much as the other devices. Our maintainers have done a great job playing catch up. It's a great rom nonetheless and is easily stable enough for everyday use. If you're having problems with cm7.0 stable then you're doing something wrong as it's fine for the majority of other users

They're not "advertising anything" they're giving away software they've worked for months on FOR FREE. The CM features itself are stable, as is the phone software and the phone itself. You're just being pedantic, as you've made a fool of yourself.

I may be pedantic, I'm happy to make a fool of myself that way,

more than I would be by insulting others for no reason,