Phone probably faulty. Need help reverting back to original ROM + recovery to return it

Guest sebastienw

Guest sebastienw

Hi,

I'm having all kind of issues with my 2 day old 2X. (box says NLD, dutch model ?)

Here's what I had before flashing :

LG-P990

1035.21_20110223

FRG83G

LGP990-V10a

Now after installing Fr11, it says V10b..

Carrier : BASE

Anyway :

With original ROM :

- phone rebooted twice by itself in an hour (but I've read this was maybe related to enabling pattern screen lock, which I disabled and haven't had any more issue)

- phone couldn't register to carrier (if I try "select auto" I often get "unable to connect to this network...", if I choose "search networks" I get "error while searching for networks")

- mobile data worked only once so far (on EDGE), not sure if it's a coincidence but I was giving tethering option a try at that time where it finally worked (I was on wifi, enabling tethering disabled wifi, mobile data started and worked). Can't connect to mobile data on a Proximus SIM as well.

With Fr11 (which I believed would fix all those issues) :

- same issues as above regarding network registration, and mobile data

- phones dies when standing idle, after around 15 minutes. Maybe it had this issue on original ROM, I dunno (I gave the original ROM a try for about 2hr max).

- this is pretty unusual to me, but when connected to Wifi, the E/H logo will often remain in the tray.

My question :

I'm pretty sure the unit is faulty, but I'm a noob and this could only be software related ?? (if it is, shame on you LG)

I'd want to revert the phone back to its original state (ROM + bootloader), in order to test some more and eventually return it to get an exchange.

I've tried reverting from the nandroid backup I made before applying Modaco, but booting the original ROM will get stuck at the LG logo. I've tried wiping anything I could (dalvik, etc.), but nothing works.

Softkeys are still working while stuck, but adb devices won't list anything. I've let it run up to 10 minutes.. Do I need to let it run longer ?

How can I check what the phone is actually doing, and where the phone gets stuck ?

Anyone with a dutch original ROM around, that I could try ?

Thanks !

Guest whitemusketeer
With original ROM :

- phone rebooted twice by itself in an hour (but I've read this was maybe related to enabling pattern screen lock, which I disabled and haven't had any more issue)

- phone couldn't register to carrier (if I try "select auto" I often get "unable to connect to this network...", if I choose "search networks" I get "error while searching for networks")

- mobile data worked only once so far (on EDGE), not sure if it's a coincidence but I was giving tethering option a try at that time where it finally worked (I was on wifi, enabling tethering disabled wifi, mobile data started and worked). Can't connect to mobile data on a Proximus SIM as well.

I have very similar mobile data issues but luckily none of the rebooting problems (only installed some testing apps, no screen lock or other...)

Got my 2X from carrier Hutchison 3G Austria (unfortunately SIM locked...)

I have tried three different SIM cards, all show these problems with the mobile data connected, but not working at all...

For two days now I have tried to get into this problem, but no luck yet...

Rooted and applied ClockWorkMod with a backup, nothing else.

Though I am still on original ROM, even hard resets did not do any good to this.

I got one SIM card that works (very) sporadically with the mobile data, but if I dare to deactivate mobile data and the reactivate, it can't connect again.

Even phone calls are not possible although it shows 3-4 bars of radio...

If I activate flight mode, it takes like 2-3 Minutes to show the airplane in notification. That is not normal...

Has anyone else similar problems?

Could a new radio version fix this?

Guest whitemusketeer

Due to my pretty old SIM card, 4+ years, I decided to get a new one.

Unfortunately no changes at all and the issues with mobile data connection and phone calls are still present.

Right now the phone is charging until it has 100% battery, then I plan to flash the EURO_OPEN firmware from xda forums over the original "branded".

If that still not solves it, I will return it to exchange or whatever they do, as long as I get an properly working unit :)

Guest sebastienw

I got an new unit today. It has the very same issues, with data, and calls/SMS, which I forgot to mention.

After returning the phone, the store owner sent me an email, he's tested the "faulty" unit with a brand new (Proximus) SIM and said all was fine.

He said he'll test with many SIM's from every major carrier this week-end and let me know.

On my side I've tried on Base (5 yo SIM) and Proximus cards (not sure how old this one is, work phone SIM).

I guess the shutdown issues were related to the SIM module being faulty (or having a hard time trying to do its job with this broken firmware), because when the phone was off, I could sense some heat just underneath the camera, right where the SIM card stands.

Are you running the same radio version ?