The G2X compatability topic - G2X owners read this!

Guest PaulOBrien

Update:

G2X owners...

• Do NOT flash a Optimus 2X baseband onto your G2X. It will remove all phone functionality (I am working on obtaining a P999 baseband so you can revert if you've done this).
  • Do NOT use my recovery installer or recovery reboot app at this time - recovery is on a different partition in the G2X. I will update the installed and app to add G2X compatability soon.

P

Guest Squide
While i'm offline next week the G2X will start shipping in volume.

This topic is for discussion of whether the 2X bits (ClockworkMod, Rebooter, Lights App, MCR etc.) work on the G2X. I don't know. :)

P

Really hoped they are the same.

So, there will be stock android coming to our O2X soon :)

I think the ROMs should be interchangeable.

From post 1:

I would advise NOT flashing your P999 (G2X) with the P990 (Optimus 2X) NVFlash or Baseband images!

:)

P

Guest Bay Harbor Butcher

If i'm not wrong,about hardware G2X should have only 4G network more than O2X.right?They are not same phone,waiting for rom compatibility reports.

Guest Senephar
If i'm not wrong,about hardware G2X should have only 4G network more than O2X.right?They are not same phone,waiting for rom compatibility reports.

HSPA+ is marketed as 4G by T-Mobile US.

Guest whitmus70

The ROM's will run on the G2x, however the basebands are not compatible. I have a G2x and flashed the nvflash file and my device now shows the baseband as "unknown". The ROM's run fantastic on it, but I can't make any calls or use any data other than wifi.

I am now stuck waiting for a compatible baseband so I can use my new phone :)

DO NOT RUN MY CLOCKWORKMOD INSTALLER ON THE G2X! The partition layout is different, doing so will do bad things to your device. I will release a G2X compatible version when I am back online in a week's time!

The ROM's will run on the G2x, however the basebands are not compatible. I have a G2x and flashed the nvflash file and my device now shows the baseband as "unknown". The ROM's run fantastic on it, but I can't make any calls or use any data other than wifi.

I am now stuck waiting for a compatible baseband so I can use my new phone :)

Ah, as I suspected. I can get you a baseband to fix your phone...

P

Guest gaww1
Ah, as I suspected. I can get you a baseband to fix your phone...

P

Are the basebands embedded it the ROM's or flashed separately? Given the differences between the devices, I don't want to trip over this. Since Paul is "out", would appreciate answer from anyone.

At some point, due to these differences, it might make sense to setup a separate device forum to help prevent bricked devices.

Guest Batkoto
Are the basebands embedded it the ROM's or flashed separately? Given the differences between the devices, I don't want to trip over this. Since Paul is "out", would appreciate answer from anyone.

At some point, due to these differences, it might make sense to setup a separate device forum to help prevent bricked devices.

Baseband is separate from ROM, fleshed separately.

Guest gaww1
Baseband is separate from ROM, fleshed separately.

Hope so - it had looked like a phone's baseband had been messed up by trying to flash G2X system on O2X.

Guest aMpeX

The tricky part is, that the software, which communicates "with" the baseband (Radio Interface Layer) also seems to differ, so if you want to run the G2X ROM on an O2X you have to tinker with the ROM as well.

Codeworkx and Arcee of the Cyanogen Dev team are trying to iron out the changes over at XDA. So far they managed to get the ROM running, but phone functionality is still broken.

Edited by aMpeX

Guest gaww1
DO NOT RUN MY CLOCKWORKMOD INSTALLER ON THE G2X! The partition layout is different, doing so will do bad things to your device. I will release a G2X compatible version when I am back online in a week's time!

Can your recovery be manually flashed with ADB tools, or is it also incompatible?

Edited by gaww1

Guest gaww1
Anyone able to get their hands on a g2x? It appears it may not have the 850/1900/2100 UMTS like everyone thought, or maybe they're disabled?

Paul, can you weigh in?

Check out this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1041402

The consensus is that it has them, but they are not enabled. A poster over there got a response from TMo that appeared to confirm that, but went on with their terms and conditions that said they have the right to restrict access to certain features - and apparently did.

The thinking is that they would be enabled with baseband (Unless the hidden menu controls access?).

Guest rangerlt
The consensus is that it has them, but they are not enabled. A poster over there got a response from TMo that appeared to confirm that, but went on with their terms and conditions that said they have the right to restrict access to certain features - and apparently did.

The thinking is that they would be enabled with baseband (Unless the hidden menu controls access?).

Seems like without heeding the warnings I flashed smartflash to my g2x and now the baseband isn't fuctioning. Is there any way to reslash to factory if there was no boot recovery saved? Is the factory firmware available online?

Guest kanshin
Seems like without heeding the warnings I flashed smartflash to my g2x and now the baseband isn't fuctioning. Is there any way to reslash to factory if there was no boot recovery saved? Is the factory firmware available online?

Same to you ...It does have a G2x original firmware online. here http://www.fileserve.com/file/cwSGYn2/BIN_...R-27-2011+0.zip

Edited by kanshin

Guest Mrjava65

Has anyone determined HOW to get these files installed? I mean actually tried and succeeded?

Guest Mrjava65

Is there any update on this?

I was one of (hopefully) many who confused the P990 as the same thing as the Optimus 2 @ or the G2X.

So now Im stuck ...If there was a smartflash for the P999 i could undo all this mess !

Any update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Update:

G2X owners...

• Do NOT flash a Optimus 2X baseband onto your G2X. It will remove all phone functionality (I am working on obtaining a P999 baseband so you can revert if you've done this).
  • Do NOT use my recovery installer or recovery reboot app at this time - recovery is on a different partition in the G2X. I will update the installed and app to add G2X compatability soon.

P

Guest rangerlt
Is there any update on this?

I was one of (hopefully) many who confused the P990 as the same thing as the Optimus 2 @ or the G2X.

So now Im stuck ...If there was a smartflash for the P999 i could undo all this mess !

Any update would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

*UPDATE*UPDATE*

Sorry for not updating this topic previously. I had thought I did so however that was on xda. I was able to reinstall the factory rom from a link provided by a user on the xda forum and is also linked on this forum. Go here to download the rom. You'll need the smartflash tool for the LP9990 to flash the bin files. I was only able to successfully flash the AP.bin, I believe Paul is working on getting a working baseband. The phone will be restored to factory settings after flashing the AP.bin with full functionality. I noticed the baseband is weak and searching for networks does give errors occasionally so we'll be patiently awaiting an update to solve this issue. Albeit your phone will be functional enough to satisfy you till then. If you need any help with the steps just reply in this thread.

Edited by rangerlt