What on earth is going on???

Guest Bonzo1

Guest Bonzo1

The android tablet community are being treated abysmally by even the large established manufacturers. I have always been a fan of ASUS, they make great motherboard and great laptops, but look at what they are palming off on the Android community...

Movie compatability is abysmal

Mynet language / streaming problems abysmal

Backlight bleed and numerous other bugs

This is attrocious in this price range, if they sent out their other products onto the mass market in such an unfinished condition they would have went out of business a long time ago. It's not just Asus either, Motorola and theit non working micro SD slot is another example.

The android tablet community should be demanding better treatment as they part with their hard earned cash. Manufacturers must be forced to up their game or to lose out.

Guest my_big_feet

No better nor worse than other tablets.

Mynet language / streaming problems abysmal

Not abysmal. Language is a minor bug that'll get fixed, and streaming problems are par for the course when it comes to DLNA.

Backlight bleed and numerous other bugs

My Transformer hasn't any noticeable light bleed. It's unstable and frequently crashes, but I'm confident those will be fixed soon.

This is attrocious in this price range, if they sent out their other products onto the mass market in such an unfinished condition they would have went out of business a long time ago. It's not just Asus either, Motorola and theit non working micro SD slot is another example.

I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I think it was a steal. Bargainous, even.

Remember that people rarely flock to forums to report "everything is fine." They come to forums to report "hey, something is broken." It is the nature of the web.

Edited by my_big_feet

Guest Simon O

If you have backlight bleed then you can contact Asus and get it swapped on RMA. It's a fault they know about along with compass issues affecting some people.

Movie playback, blame Google for not supporting more formats in Honeycomb. And besides.. how many formats does the iPad play?

Guest Matchstick
If you have backlight bleed then you can contact Asus and get it swapped on RMA. It's a fault they know about along with compass issues affecting some people.

Movie playback, blame Google for not supporting more formats in Honeycomb. And besides.. how many formats does the iPad play?

So there's a known hardware issue with a wonky compass rather than a software problem ?

Guest foxmeister
No better nor worse than other tablets.

Not strictly true! My Galaxy Tab plays 720p MKVs no problem at all! :)

As media players go, the GT is definitely superior to the Transformer, but I love them both for different reasons anyway.

Regards,

Dave

Guest SilentMobius

I believe the blame is mostly Nvidia's, you can blame Google for not including MKV container parsing but most of the limitations of h.264 profile playback are due to either limited-ability silicone or poor binaries from Nvidia.

Guest GMScribe
I believe the blame is mostly Nvidia's, you can blame Google for not including MKV container parsing but most of the limitations of h.264 profile playback are due to either limited-ability silicone or poor binaries from Nvidia.

Seconded, or a combination of both.

Guest my_big_feet
Not strictly true! My Galaxy Tab plays 720p MKVs no problem at all! :)

As media players go, the GT is definitely superior to the Transformer, but I love them both for different reasons anyway.

The Transformer doesn't have any Tegra 2-optimised players yet. Whereas the GT does have a few Neon-optimised players.

With the plethora of Tegra 2 tablets appearing, I expect this to change very shortly!

Thing is, when the iPad arrived, people moaned that they needed to re-encode their videos. Same is now true for Android tablets. People have short, idealistic memories :)

Guest Bonzo1

my_big_feet you miss the point... If a quality supplier like Asus can't get it right then it is damaging to their own reputation and the android tablet market as a whole. These bugs shopuld be sorted out before the profuct is unleashed on the market.

As for the video issue, you have to be kidding, even the most basic devices these days no matter what the processor or screen size will play 480p Divx and Xvid without re-encoding as an absolute minimum.

Guest GMScribe
The Transformer doesn't have any Tegra 2-optimised players yet. Whereas the GT does have a few Neon-optimised players.

With the plethora of Tegra 2 tablets appearing, I expect this to change very shortly!

Thing is, when the iPad arrived, people moaned that they needed to re-encode their videos. Same is now true for Android tablets. People have short, idealistic memories :)

I agree it's only going to be a matter of time before support for the tegra 2 sky-rockets. Having said that the tegra 2 is essentially a duel-core neon supporting arm7 command-set. I would have expected better 720p playback even without the hardware acceleration from the additional decoding hardware on the tegra. I wonder if any of the current video players are properly multi-core optimised.

EDIT: OOOPS take that back there's no NEON, the video acceleration hardware is supposed to handle that task. So ideally you need a VFPv3 multi-core optimised player to get the best out of the chip without using hardware accel.

Bonzo1... who's having the problems with 480p on this device?

Edited by GMScribe

Guest my_big_feet
my_big_feet you miss the point... If a quality supplier like Asus can't get it right then it is damaging to their own reputation and the android tablet market as a whole. These bugs shopuld be sorted out before the profuct is unleashed on the market.

What damage? The Transformer has reached a number of journalists and the early bits I've heard has been extremely positive. Demand has been overwhelming for ASUS. I'm super happy with mine, and so are many other users. Those with defective units will be able to get them replaced. I really don't see any of the issues or concerns you're describing.

As for the video issue, you have to be kidding, even the most basic devices these days no matter what the processor or screen size will play 480p Divx and Xvid without re-encoding as an absolute minimum.

Please name said basic devices.

Edited by my_big_feet

Guest SilentMobius

No... you're missing the point.

Neon optimisations to pure CPU decoding increase preformance by a _tiny_ amount compared to full hardware acceleration that uses the GPU, no amount of Tegra2 _CPU_ optimisation are _ever_ going to make a 1Ghz CPU decode H.264 high profile 1080p realtime. Android apps cannot roll their own access to the GPU.

What _can_ help is Nvidia getting off their asses and sorting out their OMX plugins in the Android framework, but that's at the framework level _not_ the "video player app" level.

Samsung used a PowerVR GPU on the Galaxy Tab and the h.264 decoding on that chip was pretty good as were the binaries provided by PowerVR, additionally they _added_ the MKV container into their build of Android (as did some of the cheap resistive-screen no-brand android tablets) so decoding was accelerated without any additions.

DivX is generally just Mpeg4 video with mp3 audio, in an AVI container. If Google hadn't dropped AVI as a supported container in honeycomb that would be fine.

Short version:

We need MKV and AVI added (neither are patent encumbered) to the framework (community could do this when we get the HC source) and Nvidia to fix their binaries so we can do h.264 high profile at 720p and main profile at 1080p (as Tegra2 has advertised*) that is as much as we can expect, Tegra2 is never going to do 1080p high profile.

We told you that we managed to see some cool Tegra 2 documentation and we can tell you that when it comes to HD video decoding, Tegra 2 can cope with numerous standards. First of them is H.264 with sub standards Baseline Profile (B frames) — 1080p/20Mbps, Main Profile (B Frames, CAVLC) — 1080p, Main Profile (B Frames, CABAC, no weighted prediction) — 720p/6Mbps and High Profile (B Frames, CABAC, no weighted prediction).

Tegra 2 also supports High Profile (B Frames, CABAC, no weighted prediction), MPEG-4 (Simple, B frames and ASP Profiles) — 1080p/8Mbps, H.263 (Profile 0) — 720×576/4Mbps, DiVX (DiVX 4/5) — 1080p/8Mbps, XviD (XviD Home Theater) — 1080p/8Mbps, MPEG-2 (Main Profile @ Main Level) — 720×576/10Mbps, VP6 (simple and advanced profile) — 720p30/2Mbps, Sorenson (simple and advanced profile) — 720×576/4Mbps, JPEG up to 80 Mpixel per second.

Edited by SilentMobius

Guest my_big_feet
Samsung used a PowerVR GPU on the Galaxy Tab and the h.264 decoding on that chip was pretty good as were the binaries provided by PowerVR, additionally they _added_ the MKV container into their build of Android (as did some of the cheap resistive-screen no-brand android tablets) so decoding was accelerated without any additions.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.

Guest SilentMobius
Bonzo1... who's having the problems with 480p on this device?

I believe they were talking about DivX which is in an AVI container hence doesn't play under honeycomb but did play under froyo/gingerbread.

(Ignoring rockplayer et al, as they cause their own problems and shouldn't even be mentioned when discussing what an Android device can play)

Guest GMScribe

For everyone's information, FOTA update confirmed for 5am (UK time) tomorrow morning. This should resolve some of the issues people have been having, I know the MyNet language issue is one and it introduces the Cloud/Remote desktop service.

Edited by GMScribe

Guest cacklemygladys
For everyone's information, FOTA update confirmed for 5am (UK time) tomorrow morning. This should resolve some of the issues people have been having, I know the MyNet language issue is one and it introduces the Cloud/Remote desktop service.

I'm hoping this is true :)

Link?

Guest highbury-gooner

I don't have mine yet , will do in a couple of weeks. I am however easily pleased and the issues highlighted on here dont bother me in the slightest im sure i will be happy with the device. :)

For £380 squid its a steal even with mimor issues, show me a tablet that is perfect :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Green Robot

The android tablet community are being treated abysmally by even the large established manufacturers. I have always been a fan of ASUS, they make great motherboard and great laptops, but look at what they are palming off on the Android community...

Does anyone know if the new Honeycomb 3.2 will correct this problem? I recently ripped a few 1080p MKVs down to more manageable sizes, but I didn't want to sacrifice too much quality, so I opted for Advanced Profile. Not surprisingly, they either don't play or they don't play properly on any Tegra 2 devices like the Asus. I tried them on a friend's Galaxy S2 handset, and it has no problem with it whatsoever, thanks to Samsung's wisdom in using their own GPU instead of Nvidia's. Tried them on another friend's iPad 2 (running on something called Buzz Player), and again, flawless!

So Honeycomb 3.2 had better bring some improvement! And by improvement I mean what everyone's been taking for granted.

Edited by Green Robot

Does anyone know if the new Honeycomb 3.2 will correct this problem? I recently ripped a few 1080p MKVs down to more manageable sizes, but I didn't want to sacrifice too much quality, so I opted for Advanced Profile. Not surprisingly, they either don't play or they don't play properly on any Tegra 2 devices like the Asus. I tried them on a friend's Galaxy S2 handset, and it has no problem with it whatsoever, thanks to Samsung's wisdom in using their own GPU instead of Nvidia's. Tried them on another friend's iPad 2 (running on something called Buzz Player), and again, flawless!

So Honeycomb 3.2 had better bring some improvement! And by improvement I mean what everyone's been taking for granted.

The built-in video compatibility is rubbish, but have you tried MoboPlayer?

• 1 month later...

I've tried MX player it has HW support for Tegra 2 and it runs MKV 720p withouth any problem. 1080p is a different story I think that Tegra 2 is the problem here.

Edited by Pituky

Guest highbury-gooner

Hi Guys, i was trying to play 720/1080p mkv files recently with mobo player and started nosing around for a non tekkie solution, read somewhere that Dice player on the android market worked a treat, it costs a couple of quid but lo and behold it works , no lagging , sharp playback and perfect sound , happy days!

Guest highbury-gooner

Hi Guys, i was trying to play 720/1080p mkv files recently with mobo player and started nosing around for a non tekkie solution, read somewhere that Dice player on the android market worked a treat, it costs a couple of quid but lo and behold it works , no lagging , sharp playback and perfect sound , happy days!

And thats on my Transformer runing 3.2 :-)