[dev] honeycomb sdk port

Guest add.thebad

Guest add.thebad

i am attempting an sdk port with mixed sucsess with defferent methods

i have today (1/5/11) tried the port using the .36 kernel but now get stuck with a black screen no abd or the slightest signs of life :)

if i use origional kernel i get adb working before boot loop but if i try and run a log cat to see whats going on i get

D:\Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb logcat

- waiting for device -

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: Exec format error (8) -
18/4/11 Gets stuck on the boot image screen doesnt make it to boot animation doesnt reboot adb works but i cant run a logcat to find out whats up?
D:\Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices

List of devices attached

1714404540bfb617		device

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

any ideas

19/4/11

Ok so i have deleted some unused apps in system such as phone so now the system image is small enough and copies correctly

It now gets stuck in boot loop after boot image and i now have no adb

Any help welcome

20/4/11

my files are here, i dont no what to do next so go on and have a dig around if you wish

19.4-2update.zip----------------get stuck in boot loop no adb

http://www.mediafire.com/?u403ooy0mijoy4y

18.4-3update.zip----------------no boot loop but adb

http://www.mediafire.com/?isdf8wpf7d5n8pt

20/4/11

ok im a little confused not. the updater-script is the thing im least sure about but i have found a problem with it.

however when i change a load if ui_prints and some file locations and re flash it has not changed anything all the ui prints are unchanged and the problem i encountered is still their

any one know whats going on?

Edited by add.thebad

Guest HunteronX
i am attempting an sdk port with mixed sucsess with defferent methods

18/4/11

Gets stuck on the boot image screen

doesnt make it to boot animation

doesnt reboot

adb works

but i cant run a logcat to find out whats up?

D:\Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices

List of devices attached

1714404540bfb617		device

- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
any ideas 19/4/11 Ok so i have deleted some unused apps in system such as phone so now the system image is small enough and copies correctly It now gets stuck in boot loop after boot image and i now have no adb Any help welcome
Well looking at this line: "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

I can see that the 'sh' binary is missing. This is what is used for executing commands in terminals and with adb. Maybe try using the attached one?

Also, how is the SDK port being installed? Is it via recovery?

sh.zip

Edited by HunteronX

Guest add.thebad
Well looking at this line: "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

I can see that the 'sh' binary is missing. This is what is used for executing commands in terminals and with adb. Maybe try using the attached one?

Also, how is the SDK port being installed? Is it via recovery?

ok thanks, its through clockwork 3

Guest roebeet

I scanned the updater-script and all seems well (permissions) - that was my first guess.

Is your system.img based off the Xoom? I have a hacked system.img I built out in March with the xoom binaries, and I can get my GTAB to at least get adb to work - but it just gets stuck (various errors in logcat). I can post that up, if you think it will help you. I'll try your system.img, in the meantime.

Btw, for the GTAB - I've found that the Xoom's libc.so = crash and boot into recovery, for whatever reason. The Transformer image also has a similar issue.

Edited by roebeet

Guest brucelee666

This may not be the problem but after scanning your init.rc and the same file from Pauls custom vega boot i found the following:-

This part of yout init.rc file is set as :-

chown system system /data

chmod 0771 /data

on modaco custom rom init.rc it is "chmod 0777 /data".

Yours:-

chown system cache /cache

chmod 0770 /cache

Again this is set to "chmod 0777 /cache"

Yours:-

mkdir /cache/recovery

chown system cache /cache/recovery

chmod 0770 /cache/recovery

Again this is set to "chmod 0777 /cache/recovery"

Also why did you not use the latest sdk 11 (which the nexus one port was based on see xda) as this is the latest image and may have been more stable than the version 10 I think you have used looking at your build.prop ?

Also in your init.rc at the:-

# Backwards Compat - XXX: Going away in G*

symlink /mnt/sdcard /sdcard

mkdir /system

mkdir /data 0771 system system

mkdir /cache 0770 system cache

mkdir /misc 0770 system misc

mkdir /config 0500 root root

Paul put a # in front of "mkdir /misc 0770 system misc" I think this may have had something to do with the problems associated with this so may be worth doing, although you have removed the mount part of this so may be nothing.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Tony Williams
Hats off to you for having a go bud.

+1 from me too. I also got fed up of all the "wheres Honeycomb" posts but sadly don`t have the skills (or the time to learn them!) to attempt something like this myself, good to see someone getting stuck in and having a go.

Guest add.thebad
+1 from me too. I also got fed up of all the "wheres Honeycomb" posts but sadly don`t have the skills (or the time to learn them!) to attempt something like this myself, good to see someone getting stuck in and having a go.

yeah i only knew a little befor but this has been a big learning curve for me and i now no much more of the in's and out's of how android works. went into pcworld when i was bored in medowhall today and had a play on the xoom and the acer icona, and besides from being pestered by sales people not letting me play, I taught they where both very good tabs and if the vega can get a bit of honeycomb goodness it will be stunning for £200

Guest add.thebad
Also why did you not use the latest sdk 11 (which the nexus one port was based on see xda) as this is the latest image and may have been more stable than the version 10 I think you have used looking at your build.prop ?

Allright thanks i will try these thinks later tonight and see how it goes. The reason I haven't used the full sdk image is that I herd it was more difficult to get up and running than the sdk preview one, so my thinking was get the preview working first then go for the full sdk, however since ive not had much luck i may just give that one a try

Guest craskman

Hi add,

I just had a quick look on your 19.4ish.zip and there is something wrong in the /system folder.

You have a folder [/system/sh] containing [adb] binary inside.

Just delete this folder, put the [sh] binary into /system folder. Check the permissions in the ramdisk init file (I havent checked that), so the binary [/system/sh] can be executable by root. The adb binary is already in the right place.

Let me know if anything has changed.

CrK

Guest add.thebad
Hi add,

I just had a quick look on your 19.4ish.zip and there is something wrong in the /system folder.

You have a folder [/system/sh] containing [adb] binary inside.

Just delete this folder, put the [sh] binary into /system folder. Check the permissions in the ramdisk init file (I havent checked that), so the binary [/system/sh] can be executable by root. The adb binary is already in the right place.

Let me know if anything has changed.

CrK

ok im a little confused not. the updater-script is the thing im least sure about but i have found a problem with it.

however when i change a load if ui_prints and some file locations and re flash it has not changed anything all the ui prints are unchanged and the problem i encountered is still their

Guest brucelee666

In your 19.4-2 file there is no busybox in either system/bin or system/xbin although it is mentioned in your update script, could your script be looking for this and not finding it ?

Also I think logcat in system/bin/sh should just be system/bin maybe why this was not working.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest add.thebad

tried again today this time using the .36 kernel and this time all i got was a black screen no adb no life no nothing :mellow:

Guest Bobby Elliott
tried again today this time using the .36 kernel and this time all i got was a black screen no adb no life no nothing :mellow:

Honeycomb is stunning. It would transform the Vega if it can be ported over.

Guest add.thebad
Honeycomb is stunning. It would transform the Vega if it can be ported over.

Yeah anoo. I was bored in medowhall the other day so hubted down a pcworld and went for a play on he xoom and the transforner and it just seems so much more polished and very good on the big screen so i thaught i would give an sdk port a try

However i have been told by some german company that they plan to release a honeycomb update for their tablet which is another vega clone in the first week of may so my fingers are crossed for that aswell, but i woukd still like to port it

Guest Shaizer
Yeah anoo. I was bored in medowhall the other day so hubted down a pcworld and went for a play on he xoom and the transforner and it just seems so much more polished and very good on the big screen so i thaught i would give an sdk port a try

However i have been told by some german company that they plan to release a honeycomb update for their tablet which is another vega clone in the first week of may so my fingers are crossed for that aswell, but i woukd still like to port it

I doubt they will get a honeycomb license for a vega clone, I think the big guys like samsung, motorola, acer, asus have dibbs on honeycomb =P we'll have to wait for it to go open source and get a proper port. In terms of an SDK port, it wont be polished but a good place to start would be the nook color port as I've heard LennyUK say before. I think it would be easier to port that.

Guest warriorscot

A nook port would probably be easier you could always then port across the tegra hardware features from the XOOM or transformer rom.

Guest tabor56

Out of interest, have you asked anyone for help who has ported honeycomb SDK. such as the person who did the Nook one or the ZTE blade port?

Guest add.thebad
Out of interest, have you asked anyone for help who has ported honeycomb SDK. such as the person who did the Nook one or the ZTE blade port?

Yeah ive asked alot of people for help but i cant get the hethod used by the nexus port to work so i may try something else when i have tine

Guest Zebrahead

Can I ask what tool you use to make yaffs2 system images? I've tried a few but they never work properly :mellow:

Zeb

Guest hecatae

as one of the devs that helped get the honeycomb sdk ported to the blade, if there is any help I can offer let me know

Guest add.thebad
as one of the devs that helped get the honeycomb sdk ported to the blade, if there is any help I can offer let me know

Well heres my method(s)

Edited init.rc

Repackaged boot.img with the .36 kernel and stock kernell

then put that witg the sdk preview system.img and have tried with the nuxus port.

I get a boot loop on boot screen and abd connecting ,with stock kernel and nexus, but cannot run a log cat

Using the .36 kernel i just get a black screen

Any ideas? Ive been trying to get a log cat to see whats going on but i havnt managed yet