Activating A2SD on HTC Desire 2.2 R.2.29

Guest SalsabyJake

Guest SalsabyJake

I'm an engineer but new to Android and I purchased a rooted HTC 8182 (USA version) Desire recently. When I install apps, I rapidly run out of "Internal Storage" even when moving what I can to the SD card (not all apps allow that under Froyo 2.2). I read up on re-formatting the SD card and did that on a new SD using a linux machine:

7 GB fat32

512MB ext3

32MB linux-swap

The Software info is:

Android 2.2

Kernel 2.6.32.14-gf5a401c

Build No. 2.29.405.5

Software No. 2.29.405.5

However, when I install this SD card, I don't see any change in my Internal storage and Quick System Info reports:

SD 6.89GB 3.3 Free

A2SD 5.08MB 1.6MB free

Internal Storage 148MB 25.08 free

System Storage 250MB 4.62MB free

MEMORY 415MB 166MB free

(this is after I removed a bunch of apps, when they are put back, Internal storage drops to around 17MB and hovers near 90% causing the warning)

The number for A2SD above is identical to my old SD card w/o the ext3 partition :)

QUESTION!: HOW DOES ONE ACTIVATE THE USE OF THE NEW EXT3 PARTITION ON THE SD CARD???

I thought this phone ROM version supports A2SD but the new SD card with ext3 partition behaves same as old one without.. Please enlighten me! Also, where does one find A2SD+, or is this just a ROM option that has to be in the kernel?

Thanks,

Jake

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SalsabyJake

I see some instructions online for just symbolically linking to SD card Linux partition after copying over system files there, but my Android does not seem to find that partition when it boots up. Any help on mounting that partition? Add to fstab?

Thx

Jake

I'm an engineer but new to Android and I purchased a rooted HTC 8182 (USA version) Desire recently. When I install apps, I rapidly run out of "Internal Storage" even when moving what I can to the SD card (not all apps allow that under Froyo 2.2). I read up on re-formatting the SD card and did that on a new SD using a linux machine:

7 GB fat32

512MB ext3

32MB linux-swap

The Software info is:

Android 2.2

Kernel 2.6.32.14-gf5a401c

Build No. 2.29.405.5

Software No. 2.29.405.5

However, when I install this SD card, I don't see any change in my Internal storage and Quick System Info reports:

SD 6.89GB 3.3 Free

A2SD 5.08MB 1.6MB free

Internal Storage 148MB 25.08 free

System Storage 250MB 4.62MB free

MEMORY 415MB 166MB free

(this is after I removed a bunch of apps, when they are put back, Internal storage drops to around 17MB and hovers near 90% causing the warning)

The number for A2SD above is identical to my old SD card w/o the ext3 partition :mellow:

QUESTION!: HOW DOES ONE ACTIVATE THE USE OF THE NEW EXT3 PARTITION ON THE SD CARD???

I thought this phone ROM version supports A2SD but the new SD card with ext3 partition behaves same as old one without.. Please enlighten me! Also, where does one find A2SD+, or is this just a ROM option that has to be in the kernel?

Thanks,

Jake

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flshg
I see some instructions online for just symbolically linking to SD card Linux partition after copying over system files there, but my Android does not seem to find that partition when it boots up. Any help on mounting that partition? Add to fstab?

Thx

Jake

Have you made sure that ext partition is also set as primary? You could try link2sd app from android market.

Guest SalsabyJake
Have you made sure that ext partition is also set as primary? You could try link2sd app from android market.

Just took SD out and mounted on Linux machine and it shows the msdos and ext3 partitions both as primary. But I can't see the ext3 partition when running a "df" on the phone itself and an A2SD app I tried (A2SDGUI) on the phone complained that it could not find the ext3 partition either.. Frustrating!

Guest flshg
Just took SD out and mounted on Linux machine and it shows the msdos and ext3 partitions both as primary. But I can't see the ext3 partition when running a "df" on the phone itself and an A2SD app I tried (A2SDGUI) on the phone complained that it could not find the ext3 partition either.. Frustrating!

I think I remember seeing somewhere that the ext partition has to be at the end of the card. Reformat it again, with fat32, then your swap (though I dont know why you would need it, your phone has enough mem doesnt it?), then ext2 or ext3 at the end. Again make sure fat32 and ext are primary.

A2SD+ I think means the android dalvik cache is also moved to the sd card, but that may slow down the system if your card isnt fast enough.