Free 20MB+ of RAM With MCR ROM's

Guest djmcnz

Guest djmcnz

Hi there,

Basically this update.zip which you install from recovery removes the LG Software Update client from your phone. This client isn't so useful if you're running a custom ROM, it uses 20MB or more RAM and restarts if killed. You can liberate that RAM!

The details are all posted here but the update.zip also includes a new Settings.apk that is modified to prevent the Force Close that occurs if you simply remove the client software.

Enjoy!

Guest pidanzhouk
Hi there,

Basically this update.zip which you install from recovery removes the LG Software Update client from your phone. This client isn't so useful if you're running a custom ROM, it uses 20MB or more RAM and restarts if killed. You can liberate that RAM!

The details are all posted here but the update.zip also includes a new Settings.apk that is modified to prevent the Force Close that occurs if you simply remove the client software.

Enjoy!

thx so much!

it very useful!!

Guest mrsoko
Hi there,

Enjoy!

well done!! thx!!!! :)

Guest alvari
Hi there,

Enjoy!

worked flawlessly, thank you very much for this. :)

Guest Riemen

For me it seems to be 10 MB difference. Nevertheless 10 MB more free RAM for nothing is great.

It's a shame for LG that a simple "Check for updates on a server and compare them with the ROM version on the phone"-service uses 10MB of RAM.

BTW: Whats the name of the disabled service and can it be completely uninstalled via Titanium?

Edited by Riemen

Guest Higgsy
Why not simply freeze the process? So you can still enable it when needed. But thanks for the work!

Won't work as it needs the modified settings apk to stop the force close.

Guest Higgsy

Flashing his has had other beneficial effects for me in speed of the device, couple of examples:

When adding a shortcut to an activity in launcher pro, is would take over a minute to bring up the list of activites - now it is more or less instant

When adding a widget would stall for like 10 secs before showing the widgets list - again more or less instant.

I can't see this is due to the ram saving as I always have plenty of free ram, maybe this service was causing undesirable effects, whichever I don't care as they were 2 of the things that were most niggling me.

Cheers!

Guest Stevvie
Flashing his has had other beneficial effects for me in speed of the device, couple of examples:

When adding a shortcut to an activity in launcher pro, is would take over a minute to bring up the list of activites - now it is more or less instant

When adding a widget would stall for like 10 secs before showing the widgets list - again more or less instant.

I can't see this is due to the ram saving as I always have plenty of free ram, maybe this service was causing undesirable effects, whichever I don't care as they were 2 of the things that were most niggling me.

Cheers!

+1

I also noticed that these things are almost instant now.

Guest Stryke69

Nice, didn't know about these sideeffects. I just found another: when opening the list of currently installed/running apps in the setup menu, it took some time to have them displayed with the app name and the app picture. Now this happens much faster too.

Guest Higgsy

Cheers!

Well to update on this is was running sweet and was pretty convinced it was this update, but later on today I tested LP again and also settings/applications/manage applications (which had also speeded up) and they were taking ages to load again, so guess it was not this, more probably the reboot as rebooted again and things were fast again, I think there was another thread talking about this so going to post about this there