screwed up /data/dalvik-cache on a HTC Desire HBOOT 0.93

Guest Sentinel of Confluence

Hi people,

At first, I'll preemptively admit that I've probably did something terribly silly but still I'm here and I need help ...

I have a HTC Desire with following information at the recovery bootloader:

BRAVO PVT3 SHIP S-ON

HBOOT-0.93.0001

MICROP-051d

TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101

RADIO-5.11.05.14

Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

The device is running Android 2.2

I previously downloaded the Visionary+ app and was able to get a temporary root...

Today, in search for a bit more free space on the internal drive I encountered some information regarding cleaning up of the dalvik-cache dir... so, following some advice online I did the following:

1) I got temporary root through Visionary+

2) in the shell I did:

$ su

# cd /data/

# rm -r dalvik-cache

# mkdir /cache/dalvik-cache

# ln -s /cache/dalvik-cache dalvik-cache

3) there were some strange problems already but now I did the most stupid thing - after reading that dalvik-cache should rebuild on boot, I rebooted the device...

So now the situation is:

1) The phone starts all right

2) The HTC Sense + the originally bundled apps work all right

3) I can use the phone/contacts/mail/internet apps ...

4) And here the problem starts: I cannot use any of the downloaded apps - each one receives a "Force Close" dialog immediately after the launch...

5) Thus I cannot launch Visionary+ to get the temporary root again to try to amend the problems by deleting the symlink and recreating the dalvik-cache dir...

My questions:

1) Is it possible to get a temporary (or permanent) root through ADB? I read somewhere that you can launch rageagainstthecage binary through there but I'm not sure what steps to follow to get the temporary root after that... Is that even a viable path to take? Will I be able to fix things after getting root this way (I mean will removing the link and recreating the /data/dalvik-cache directory be possible?)

2) Is it possible to backup the phone's data without installing any additional apps? I'm mostly concerned with Contacts and Messages but some application data would be useful too ... I know I can probably do that with adb pull / push - is that the only option? And will it work / will I be able to first backup and then restore the data later?

3) If I then proceed to a factory reset - will that fix things? And how should I do this? Through Menu / settings or through the bootloader menu?

Great many thanks in advance if anyone is able to help...

Best regards,

s_o_c...

Guest metalsanta
ok, managed to get a root through ADB using the instructions from XDA forum:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=792016

it's not perferctly recovered yet since a few (most?) of applications (I think those from the SD card) seem to be missing but I think it's generally downhill from here...

regards,

blue.

Hi I'm far from an expert but haven't u tried unrevoked to gain root,it worked on my pvt4 desire just didn't give me s-off.and I take it u have tried to reinstall the apps?as u said it seems to be the apps stored on your sd card have u checked if the card is still mounted and wasn't formatted while u cleared the cashe? Obvious questions I know but is easy to look over when you think uv killed your phone lol

Guest Alsajosora
Hi I'm far from an expert but haven't u tried unrevoked to gain root,it worked on my pvt4 desire just didn't give me s-off.and I take it u have tried to reinstall the apps?as u said it seems to be the apps stored on your sd card have u checked if the card is still mounted and wasn't formatted while u cleared the cashe? Obvious questions I know but is easy to look over when you think uv killed your phone lol

As for Unrevoked,

http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

This is what I used to root my desire originally, then s-off via alpharev.nl

you can then play around with custom roms and HBOOTS to gain more storage space....

TBH I would probably go for a factory reset and re-install to start off with....

TBH I would probably go for a factory reset and re-install to start off with....

Good to know all that - I only knew the modaco's visionary tool :mellow:

But generally, my phone seems to be OK now...

The problem with apps on SD seems to have been a temporary issue, so I think I managed to fix my grave mistake after rooting the phone through ADB :o...

Thanks for the info though...

btw - is there a custom build which includes HTC Sense?

regards,

s_o_c.

Guest Cardblower

Have you tried LeeDriod for the Desire? It's pretty good.

If you create an EXT3 partition on your SD card, and use LeeDroids A2SD version, you can install pretty much as many apps as you want without running out of space :unsure:

Google LeeDroid and checkout his site, all the instructions are there.

regards

Andy