NavFree for Android released at last!

Guest trevor432990

Guest feav66

I have been playing with this app and noticed if you start the app before you connect to the net there are no adds.

Seems to work every time.

Guest trevor432990
I have been playing with this app and noticed if you start the app before you connect to the net there are no adds.

Seems to work every time.

Well found Feav I've just tried that and it seems to work for me too. Does yours still stay 'GPS is off' in top lefthand corner?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest feav66
Well found Feav I've just tried that and it seems to work for me too. Does yours still stay 'GPS is off' in top lefthand corner?

The only time I get the gps is off message is when the gps is off : ) To get rid of the message I just start my gps receiver, go to the programs preferences and tick the gps option.

Guest N3ls0n
For completeness, I tried it on Honeycomb - same issues as Gingerbread - no go.

- mud

Mud, It would seem that it is only stable on froyo then.

Guest trevor432990
The only time I get the gps is off message is when the gps is off : ) To get rid of the message I just start my gps receiver, go to the programs preferences and tick the gps option.

Hmmm strange I get the GPS is off message all the time despite fact it is able to navigate on Google Maps and Navfree :P

Guest Phaleg

(Note:- Takes about 4 mins and uses 72 mb of internal memory so ensure you have space first))

72MB and I can install only on mobile memory? No SD?

Guest trevor432990
(Note:- Takes about 4 mins and uses 72 mb of internal memory so ensure you have space first))

72MB and I can install only on mobile memory? No SD?

Apparently NavFree can be run from SD quite happily according to other NavFree users but by default it tries to load it to internal memory so if you can figure out how to move to SD once installed using one of several tools available you should be OK. :P

Guest trevor432990

Can you tell me what kernel/ROM you are running please? On mine the GPS preference is greyed out so I presume on your version they put something back. :P

Guest feav66
Can you tell me what kernel/ROM you are running please? On mine the GPS preference is greyed out so I presume on your version they put something back. :P

Running the standard MoDaco R8 Rom.

When i say enable gps in preferences, that is under advanced - Preferences in the Navfree program.

The option for enable gps in the settings for the vega is grayed out on mine too. I suppose that setting is left over from devices with built in gps.

Guest trevor432990
Running the standard MoDaco R8 Rom.

When i say enable gps in preferences, that is under advanced - Preferences in the Navfree program.

The option for enable gps in the settings for the vega is grayed out on mine too. I suppose that setting is left over from devices with built in gps.

Ah sorry misunderstood. Thanks for the tip now all working again as it should. :P Do you find the 'Route Demo' function is a bit jumpy for you too? Mine keeps jumping back to my current location for some reason.

Edited by trevor432990

Guest kitenski

Just tried this on CM7 on my San Francisco and can report the same as others, nothing on screen and dumped back to home.

How can I help debug this? Fairly new to ROM flashing but happy to try and help out!

regards,

Greg

Guest trevor432990

Hi Greg ... thanks for the offer. If you look at the debug log that Mud put in this topic at post #29 it might mean something to you but the Navmii developers are looking at it currently and you can follow their progress at the following forum if you like though I shall be letting everyone know on here when there is more news. :P

Guest budgie74

couldnt get navfree to recognise the gps as being on kept coming up with gps off on navigation screen but got all working great with navigon so many thanks for all this great info :P

Guest trevor432990
couldnt get navfree to recognise the gps as being on kept coming up with gps off on navigation screen but got all working great with navigon so many thanks for all this great info :P

Welcome. On Navfree did you try what Feav told me i.e. "Set GPS on under advanced - Preferences in the Navfree program" got rid of the GPS is off message for me :rolleyes:

Guest trevor432990

Has anyone else got the same problem as me? If you click on 'My Route' option then 'Start Route Demo' the following happens:-

1) Demo jumps back continually to your current location making the demo jerky and virtually unwatchable

2) Seems no easy way to turn off the demo once started

Guest feav66
Has anyone else got the same problem as me? If you click on 'My Route' option then 'Start Route Demo' the following happens:-

1) Demo jumps back continually to your current location making the demo jerky and virtually unwatchable

2) Seems no easy way to turn off the demo once started

I have the same problem with the route demo. Only way I have found to get out of it is to click back and go to route overview.

Guest trevor432990
I have the same problem with the route demo. Only way I have found to get out of it is to click back and go to route overview.

Thanks for confirming that it isn't just me. I've raised the problem with the developers so hopefully they will come back with something to fix this :P

• 1 month later...
Guest trevor432990

For all of you who have tried and failed to install the Navfree application because your Vega has a Gingerbread 2.3 version or higher installed, the Navmii development team have advised there is a new version available for download which should now work for you. If you go to the first post on this topic I have edited it to include a new link for you.

If you experience any problems then let me know and I'll feed back any errors to them. :)

Guest N3ls0n
For all of you who have tried and failed to install the Navfree application because your Vega has a Gingerbread 2.3 version or higher installed, the Navmii development team have advised there is a new version available for download which should now work for you. If you go to the first post on this topic I have edited it to include a new link for you.

If you experience any problems then let me know and I'll feed back any errors to them. :)

Thanks for the info Trevor, downloading now...

Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so downloaded it fine and it automatically installed on my sd card, then downloaded pois from navfree market and that installed fine, then downloaded the map (which takes a while). This time, after it downloaded the map it said 'installing' then exited and promptly deleted the large map download, so have to try another long wait for the map download but i suspect it will do the same thing. Why cannot we just download the map, save and then install? seems a much more sensible way to do it.

Guest trevor432990
Ok, so downloaded it fine and it automatically installed on my sd card, then downloaded pois from navfree market and that installed fine, then downloaded the map (which takes a while). This time, after it downloaded the map it said 'installing' then exited and promptly deleted the large map download, so have to try another long wait for the map download but i suspect it will do the same thing. Why cannot we just download the map, save and then install? seems a much more sensible way to do it.

Can you check how much spare memory you have and confirm you have at least 72 mb approx of internal memory available as it takes around that much unfortunately. As for the manner in which it's installed I guess it is their way of distributing maps and updates rather like you have to install the Market before you can download from it. :blink:

Can you check how much spare memory you have and confirm you have at least 72 mb approx of internal memory available as it takes around that much unfortunately. As for the manner in which it's installed I guess it is their way of distributing maps and updates rather like you have to install the Market before you can download from it. :blink:

Yes, but the market is not over 100MB in size!

I've managed to download it and i appreciate its free, but found slower than gmaps. I guess it still need further development.

Guest trevor432990
Yes, but the market is not over 100MB in size!

I've managed to download it and i appreciate its free, but found slower than gmaps. I guess it still need further development.

Aargh ... what size is the latest version now then ? Have not downloaded latest myself so interested. Apparently it can be run from sd card so you can transfer if you haven't already.

Guest Ricey155

Navmii was awesome i bough it for my iphone and navfree is still pretty good

cheers for the link i was kinda hoping that Navfree would come to android one day, only downside seems to take ages to download the maps and postcode's it never did for iphone

anyone else having the same time issues ?