NavFree for Android released at last!

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

Navmii was awesome i bough it for my iphone and navfree is still pretty good

cheers for the link i was kinda hoping that Navfree would come to android one day, only downside seems to take ages to download the maps and postcode's it never did for iphone

anyone else having the same time issues ?

Hi there ... Yes the downloads can take a while but that's probably down to the servers they are using. When you finish downloading can you advise us how big the new app is in terms of memory space needed please?

Guest L200man

I can't get the link from the Expansys page to work - I enter my details but, never get the email from them :(

Any ideas ?

Does anyone have the downloaded file ? - (Droid 2.2)

Chris

Edited by L200man

Guest trevor432990

I recommend that you go to this forumand register then add a question to the Navmii thread (link provided) explaining you have this problem. They are normally reasonably fast in replying.

Guest photons

I've just road tested it today, using my motorbike!!

Plugged the headphones in the jack, placed the vega in my backpack and was voice guided to my destination.

All seems okay, plus I attached the bluetooth GPS to my motorcycle keys.

When I missed a turn it offered an alternative route ahead without the need to make a u turn.

Edited by photons

Guest trevor432990

I've just road tested it today, using my motorbike!!

Plugged the headphones in the jack, placed the vega in my backpack and was voice guided to my destination.

All seems okay, plus I attached the bluetooth GPS to my motorcycle keys.

When I missed a turn it offered an alternative route ahead without the need to make a u turn.

Excellent. Glad to hear it all worked nicely during your road test so yet another use for the Vega! ;)

Guest trevor432990

Just had an email from Navmii about their download server as follows:-

"c.Navmii , an employee of Navmii, replied to Android Release, a update about Navmii.

Apologies for this map downloading issue we've ancountered with Android.

Our initial public release of Navmii for Android was hosted by temporary agreement with Expansys. This agreement now having ended we're a little stuck for somewhere alternative to host the map datasets - rather large bandwidth requirements.

Our developers have been working on this, we hope to have a solution up soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please bear with us "

I will let you all know when the situation changes. This should only affect new users wishing to download the Navfree system for the first time or those trying to obtain new maps.

Guest trevor432990

For the latest information about the Navfree map download site/s links it is best to keep an eye on the Navmii support thread located here. At the moment they are still looking for an alternative to the Expansys site.

Guest ajpepe72

Ive downloaded navfree fine but when i go to download the uk map it keeps coming up with 'service is temporary unavailable,try later' ?

Guest trevor432990

Ive downloaded navfree fine but when i go to download the uk map it keeps coming up with 'service is temporary unavailable,try later' ?

Try going to the location mentioned in my post #82 and checking out the status or raise a post there on the problem.

Guest Skip Tracer

Seem to have been fixed now.

Nice app by the way.

oh no it hasn't :(

Hi

I have found recently that Navfree was not downloading the maps as I was looking for an app that didn't need to connect via a network. I downloaded BTGPS locater and then found a free copy of igo, I installed the app then BTGPS locator, switched on the locator and started it . Then went into igo and started igo . Simple and a very good app as it is quite up to date with maps. It works by accessing the maps on the microsd card, can change icons from pointer to car, cycle, person for different modes like walking. can change voices, updates your location if you take the wrong way and plots a new course. Also it warns if you are above the speed limit for the road but this can be switched off. A good feature is either the 3D view or just map view.

I don't know how this compares with other Satnav apps but it is quite usuable for me. I hope this helps some people. I don't know whether I could upload the app to a neutral site for more to use. it's total size is around 350mb. If anyone has any suggestions please ask for mutual access.

Colin