LG P970 Optimus Black Clockworkmod

Guest Xantaro

Guest Xantaro

Hi!

Yesterday i got my LG P970. I tried building clockworkmod Recovery. After some trouble because of the Strange Partitionlayout, it seemed to work at last. After flashing the image and Rebooting to Recovery via "adb reboot recovery" Clockworkmod showed up. But when hitting Power to select an Option from the clockwork Menu it just shows the Clockworksmod Logo. Tapping Power again shows the Menu again. So i took out the Battery some Time and startet the Phone again. It still boots every time in the clockworkmod Menu.

Has anyone some Idea why this happend? I editet the Entrys in the recovery.fstab file to match the Partitions on the P970 and followed >>this<< Guide.

Guest rashad1

I just got my LG Optimus Black today too, I rooted it using gingerbreak, now I'm waiting for a custom recovery to I can customize my phone and have something to fall back on incase something goes wrong.

Guest Xantaro

Yeah I should wait too for someone who has more Expirience to build clockworkmod. Now my Phone only Boots in a non functional custom Recovery and the LG Mobile Updater doesn´t work to restore the Phone.

Guest rashad1
Yeah I should wait too for someone who has more Expirience to build clockworkmod. Now my Phone only Boots in a non functional custom Recovery and the LG Mobile Updater doesn´t work to restore the Phone.

So you can't use the phone at all right now?

Guest maxisma

I guess you flashed your boot partition with the recovery image. Try getting into NVFlash / SmartFlash mode somehow to fix it.

Guest Xantaro
I guess you flashed your boot partition with the recovery image. Try getting into NVFlash / SmartFlash mode somehow to fix it.

Flashed it to /dev/block/mmcblk0p4, that should be the Recovery. The ramdisk contained the Images showed when restarting the Phone with adb restart recovery.

I think my mistake was that i forgot to change the Partition Sizes in BoardConfig.mk. But at least I learned that it is not a good Idea to do such stuff half asleep in the middle of the Night. :unsure:

Edited by Xantaro

Guest Batkoto

NVFlash wont work here, it is for NVidia devices. Optimus Black is TI (Texas Instruments) and to flash new bootloader you will need OMAP Flash and then you will need to flash the binary using SmartFlash which again is different from Optimus 2x

Im sure Paul will release some info very soon :unsure:

Guest digitalfrost

Can anyone help me settings up the recovery.fstab file? Here's to output of mount:

rootfs 					/ 						rootfs 		rw 0 0

tmpfs 					/dev 					tmpfs 		rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts 					/dev/pts 				devpts 		rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc 					/proc 					proc 		rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs 					/sys 					sysfs 		rw,relatime 0 0

none 					/acct 					cgroup 		rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 	/lgdrm 					ext3 		rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

tmpfs 					/sqlite_stmt_journals 	tmpfs 		rw,relatime,size=4096k 0 0

tmpfs 					/mnt/asec 				tmpfs 		rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

none 					/dev/cpuctl 						cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 	/system ext3 						ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 	/data ext3 							rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 	/dvp/hwkey 				ext3 		rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 	/dvp/userdata 			ext3 		rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 	/cache 					ext3 		rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:16 	/mnt/sdcard 			vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iochars

et=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:16 	/mnt/secure/asec 		vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,io

charset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure 				tmpfs 		ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
Here's cat /proc/partitions:
major minor  #blocks  name

179		0	1912832 mmcblk0

179		1		128 mmcblk0p1

179		2		512 mmcblk0p2

179		3	   6144 mmcblk0p3

179		4	   6144 mmcblk0p4

179		5	   2048 mmcblk0p5

179		6	   2048 mmcblk0p6

179		7	   8192 mmcblk0p7

179		8	 660480 mmcblk0p8

179		9	1161088 mmcblk0p9

179	   10	  65536 mmcblk0p10

179	   11		128 mmcblk0p11

179	   12		128 mmcblk0p12

179	   16	1927168 mmcblk1

Also how do I set the sizes in BoardConfig.mk? Am I right that BOARD_BOOTIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE is 6144 * 4096 (blocksize) = 0x01800000 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :P

Guest erik501

Any news?

I have installed clockwordmod and use the dual recovery,at reboot the telephone stay in lg logo and wont boot.

I'm looking for a method to retrieve the phone as the LG software can not recover it.

Please help Thanks and sorry for my english

Guest UncleCracker

I just found a Link to the German Recovery image with the 1&1 Branding. It should work to get back to a working System flashing this file.

http://csmg.lgmobile.com:9002/swdata/WEBSW..._00/V10A_00.kdz

@Xantaro: Do you think digitalfrost is right about calculatong the partitionsizes for BoardConfig.mk? Can you post your recovery.fstab?

Guest digitalfrost

Me and UncleCracker created a working recovery.fstab and Boardconfig.mk (we think :P). However we can't compile the recovery image because of the following error:

error: out/target/product/P970/boot.img too large (3223552 > [3244032 - 270336])

EDIT: It worked, the partitions were twice as large as we though. We compiled Clockworkmod fine and it's running. However same as OP we're stuck in Clockworkmod mode, we can't select anything and phone is always booting into recovery.

We rebootet the phone using "adb reboot recovery" - maybe a recovery flag is set that won't turn off until you exit Clockworkmod?

Edited by digitalfrost

Guest Gazaka

Hi I'm new to the forums. Recently purchased this beautiful phone, then again I'd say that after finally getting rid of my old old old horrible n97... yes, I'm ashamed.

First time with Android so been searching around for bits of info. Managed to root it after spending 3 hours thinking... what the hell is rooting. But now I'm no longer a virgin. Loving this device at the moment and just hoping to goodness that it was a good purchase in the long run. Support for a phone either makes it or breaks it. After a sour taste in my mouth from Nokia and there supposed flagship N97 phone, I am really hoping I have made the right decision.

Android = Win for me so far

LG I'm still unsure... let's see how things go.

As for support, I'm here and look forward to things to come.

Regards

Guest UncleCracker

Hey just to get you up to date.

digitalfrost and I managed to get ClockworMod flashed to recovery and get the Navigation and Selection working! But we are stil in struggle with the Partition mounts and getting out of Recovery after booting into it. Maybe Paul can help..

Also we found a way to reflash the phone with the German recovery image (kdz with 1&1 Branding I mentioned before), so we are able to test compiled recoverys.

Here are some pic's from Recovery:

67ee9173b925925640a07615899f75e3.jpg 2d5d9849d965dd113d5bcdd015ece6de.jpg

As already mentioned only navigation, selection and some mounts are working and we appreciate any help!