As some of you may know, Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 includes Video support for Google Talk. Handily, this can be backported for a lot of devices that are running 2.3.3 (or even 2.3.2!)
(screenshot above from the Xperia PLAY)
The process is a bit of a challenge though, so i've built the process into an easy to use APK!
Points to note before you start...
- You use this APK at your own risk! I recommend you have a backup, or at the very least a strategy to return your device to stock should the unthinkable happen.
- I have tested ONLY on the devices listed below! Extra extra caution is suggested if you want to try it on something else!
- Your device needs to be rooted in order to run this process.
- If your device is Android 2.3.3, only the required files are installed.
- If your device is Android 2.3.2, the build.prop is also edited to 'spoof' the newer version.
- As part of the install process, your Google accounts will be wiped and you'll need to re-set them up when you reboot.
- Samsung Galaxy S II (fully working)
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (fully working)
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc (rear camera only)
How to use...
- Download the APK linked below (please do not mirror this elsewhere)
- Install on your device in the usual way
- Run 'Video Talk Installer' from the programs Launcher
- Device will reboot
- You can now uninstall the app (you only ever need to run it once!)
- DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 9f3976b2191d86754d06f45acadf1810
As always, if you want to support my work, please consider either signing up to a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account or alternatively, check out our Cancer Research Charity page at http://www.MoDaCo.org.