SS RLS5 and A2SD

Guest youngsta2010

Guest youngsta2010

Hi i'm hoping i can get some quick answers, i have a stock uk san francisco and would like to replace the rom with swedish spring, primarily for a2sd, but i'm a bit confused about partitioning. I understand i need to partition my sd card for the apps but what file system and in what way?. Also it says on descriptions "fit well within a 128Mb system partition" so does this mean i need to partition my phone system, or should i?, or just flash the rom as is? i'm not sure what size the stock system partition is. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you

Edited by youngsta2010

Guest k0zmic
Hi i'm hoping i can get some quick answers, i have a stock uk san francisco and would like to replace the rom with swedish spring, primarily for a2sd, but i'm a bit confused about partitioning. I understand i need to partition my sd card for the apps but what file system and in what way?. Also it says on descriptions "fit well within a 128Mb system partition" so does this mean i need to partition my phone system, or should i?, or just flash the rom as is? i'm not sure what size the stock system partition is. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you

It's an EXT partition on your SD Card that the apps go on otherwise it uses the Froyo Apps2SD which puts them in a special folder called Android Secure on your SD Card.

The Swedish Spring ROM will go onto internal memory so you don't need to touch the phone's partitions, just your SD Card.

Just flash the ROM as is.

Remember Nandroid before and Titanium Backup user apps.

Edited by k0zmic

Guest youngsta2010

Hey, thank you for replying. Could i use any ext partition (2,3,4), and also does it matter wether it is at the beginning or the end of the disk?

Thanks again.

Guest Anil k Solanki

Hi youngsta2010,

A2SD and App2SD are slightly different, anyway if you install Swedish Spring use an EXT 3 partition it's what works with Swedish Spring (in theory).

I say in theory because I have spent too much time trying to get A2SD to work but had symbolic link issues with the EXT 3 partition. I did post a question in this forum but nobody answered, which is unusual for this very friendly and active forum.

But no matter because App2SD is an OS feature introduced in android 2.2 (Froyo), this allows you to move specific apps to the SD card using freely available apps in the ANDROID marketplace. There are a few types of apps that need to be mounted all the time (like widgets), so they can run without interruption so they cannot be moved.

I would love to know if you can get A2SD to work, but I also know it isn't much use really, unless, you need 100's of apps that need to be installed on the phone.

Good luck.

Anil.

Edited by Anil k Solanki

Guest flshg
Hey, thank you for replying. Could i use any ext partition (2,3,4), and also does it matter wether it is at the beginning or the end of the disk?

Thanks again.

I managed to get it working with a 256mb ext2 partition on the stock 2gb sdcard. I just used clockworkmod recovery to partition and format the card. Its probably best to have the standard fat32 first, then the ext2 partition at the end. If ext2 doesnt work for you I think you can then convert it to ext3 and ext4.

Make sure to backup your sdcard first.

Guest Phoenix Silver

I use gparted in a linux box to partition the sd card

First primary partition FAT32 1.5 gigs

Second primary partition 512 megs ext3

Using this configuration with Swedish Spring 4b

More or less 280 megs free in phone

• 1 month later...
Hi youngsta2010,

A2SD and App2SD are slightly different, anyway if you install Swedish Spring use an EXT 3 partition it's what works with Swedish Spring (in theory).

I say in theory because I have spent too much time trying to get A2SD to work but had symbolic link issues with the EXT 3 partition. I did post a question in this forum but nobody answered, which is unusual for this very friendly and active forum.

But no matter because App2SD is an OS feature introduced in android 2.2 (Froyo), this allows you to move specific apps to the SD card using freely available apps in the ANDROID marketplace. There are a few types of apps that need to be mounted all the time (like widgets), so they can run without interruption so they cannot be moved.

I would love to know if you can get A2SD to work, but I also know it isn't much use really, unless, you need 100's of apps that need to be installed on the phone.

Good luck.

Anil.

Dont mean to gravedig threads, but I am actually trying to make a2sd work on SS now too :)

EXT2 is, in my mind a much better option than EXT3 or EXT4 since it has no journalling which severely increases wear on flash drives.

Another possible future option could be BTRFS as it supports compression and flash friendly options to reduce wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

My issue, I think is that I have a load of apps on the phone and want to start using the SD card, but don't want to mess up making the soft link and deleting the apps off the internal memory.

Is any of this managed automatically?

P.S EXT3 is backwards compatible to EXT2 also which means you can run it as EXT2 without journalling.

Guest irishpancake

Have a look at this app......Mod Install Location for Root........complements existing FroYo App2SD.

It allows you to move apps that would not normally go to SD.....you can choose the Default Install Location for your apps, Auto/External/Phone.

Works for me, both on SS2, and on SS5/GEN2.

Some apps will not like to be moved, but they will become apparent, like CSipSimple, (best Sip App for Android, IMHO) will move, but won't work on SD card, just move it back, and Bingo, you got free Sip Telephony...!!!!

Edited by irishpancake

• 2 weeks later...
Guest snowbord

I got the fecker to work on a Gen2 blade in SS R5. Used CWM to partition SD card, then formatted it WITHIN CWM. 512 partition / 0 swap. Obviously back up your SD card stuff then copy it back over once the partitioning / formatting is complete.

Then to enable it, use A2SDGUI.

http://android.modac...remors-apps2sd/

A bit buggy but worked WITHOUT any additional work like downloading dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta02-signed from here, at least in SS R5.

http://www.facebook....158809660835039

also, consider move2sd enabler from the market.

QUOTE(Anil k Solanki @ May 16 2011, 00:02) Hi youngsta2010,

Good luck.

Anil.

Dont mean to gravedig threads, but I am actually trying to make a2sd work on SS now too unsure.gif

EXT2 is, in my mind a much better option than EXT3 or EXT4 since it has no journalling which severely increases wear on flash drives.

Another possible future option could be BTRFS as it supports compression and flash friendly options to reduce wear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

My issue, I think is that I have a load of apps on the phone and want to start using the SD card, but don't want to mess up making the soft link and deleting the apps off the internal memory.

Is any of this managed automatically?

P.S EXT3 is backwards compatible to EXT2 also which means you can run it as EXT2 without journalling.

Edited by snowbord

Guest Phoenix Silver

Btrfs can easily be activated in the kernel

If someone want to try i can compile a kernel for SS or CM7 with the support in.

Guest flshg

Btrfs can easily be activated in the kernel

If someone want to try i can compile a kernel for SS or CM7 with the support in.

Would it work in the same way as a2sd i.e. all apps move to sd card, or could we pick and choose to move apps freely between sd and internal memory? The latter would be more flexible and efficient with existing internal memory on the phone.

Guest flshg

no you format the partition in BTrfs instead of ext3

supposed to increase the performance of the sd card

So its an alternative to ext2/3, but presumably someone would need to write new scripts to handle this format, or would the existing scripts and gui apps work without modification?

Guest flshg

no nothing to change :)

This may well be a pioneering new technology for custom roms then :) If you're up for it then by all means compile in support. When finished could it be made into a simple flashable zip to update in clockworkmod, or would it be complicated that it can only be used by the elite devs like yourself?

• 1 month later...
Guest irishpancake

Hi, Sorry for re-activating, or gravedigging, this thread once again, but some thing puzzles me regarding SD A2SD on SS5/Gen2.

I used MiniTool to partition my 16GB SD card, with a 1GB ext-2 primary partition and 15GB FAT32 primary, which I created 1st.

All is working OK, and I am using the A2SDGUI App to manage this.

However, for some reason, I was checking out the properties of my partitions recently, using MiniTool, and the sd-ext is reported as ext-3????

I double-checked this using Terminal Emulator on the phone, and A2SD Check, and got this:

screenshot_29.jpg

Now, I know I made my SD-ext partition a ext-2 when I created it, coz I wanted to create a partition without journalling, which cuts down on SD wear and tear.

So, what happened? How did my ext-2 become ext-3. Is it the ROM?

Just to be clear, everything is working as expected, and I would not be aware of this unless I checked the Partition properties.

Guest k0zmic

However, for some reason, I was checking out the properties of my partitions recently, using MiniTool, and the sd-ext is reported as ext-3????

Now, I know I made my SD-ext partition a ext-2 when I created it, coz I wanted to create a partition without journalling, which cuts down on SD wear and tear.

So, what happened? How did my ext-2 become ext-3. Is it the ROM?

Just to be clear, everything is working as expected, and I would not be aware of this unless I checked the Partition properties.

The ROM shouldn't make it EXT3, it has to be upgraded manually in my experience.

Maybe it's just reporting it wrong?

Guest irishpancake

The ROM shouldn't make it EXT3, it has to be upgraded manually in my experience.

Maybe it's just reporting it wrong?

I think you are right.... I just gonna put it down to "user error".... can't be anything else..... both A2SD and MiniTool can't be wrong!! Right :-)

• 2 years later...
Guest davidson333

I use Smartgroshen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts. Get 0.5 euro at start.

Guest Rahul14

I use Smartgroshen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts. Get 0.5 euro at start.

I also use Smartgroshen app. one of the best app for calling with cheap calls rates,High quality calling and also available low recharges.