Change default app install location to SD

Guest trevor432990

Guest trevor432990

I was reading in another forum recently that you can change the default location where apps are installed from internal memory to the SD card using a simple ADB command as follows :-

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Unfortunately when I tried it on the Vega it didn't work and gave me an error saying that 'pm' was not found.

Edit:- Have done some more delving and an update is in Post 4.

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Zebrahead
I was reading in another forum recently that you can change the default location where apps are installed from internal memory to the SD card using a simple ADB command as follows :-

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

Unfortunately when I tried it on the Vega it didn't work and gave me some kind of syntax error. Was wondering if anyone knows if there is an ADB way to change the location and what it is please??

I've not tried personally, but if you invoke adb shell pm, it should give you a long usage message of how to use package manager and what options to specify. If you're suffering from a syntactical problem, this should help ^^

Zeb

Guest trevor432990
I've not tried personally, but if you invoke adb shell pm, it should give you a long usage message of how to use package manager and what options to specify. If you're suffering from a syntactical problem, this should help ^^

Zeb

OK thanks Zeb will give it a whirl :unsure:

Guest trevor432990

It seems the 'pm' part of the instructions I was trying to follow stands for 'Package Manager' and from what I can gather that is part of the Android SDK which I don't think forms part of the downloads from the Advent website is that correct? What I am trying to achieve is to follow the instructions setout in this thread on the AndroidForums but before I try would like some advice from our more seasoned members on what to do. Thanks in advance. :unsure:

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Zebrahead
It seems the 'pm' part of the instructions I was trying to follow stands for 'Package Manager' and from what I can gather that is part of the Android SDK which I don't think forms part of the downloads from the Advent website is that correct? What I am trying to achieve is to follow the instructions setout in this thread on the AndroidForums but before I try would like some advice from our more seasoned members on what to do. Thanks in advance. :unsure:

You're correct, it does stand for Package manager.

It is the utility used to install packages on android. This can be demonstrated by renaming a text file to a .apk, then try adb install <fake apk file>. In doing this, you should get pm complaining that it's not a valid file (or that installation failed etc).

The link is down for me but I think I know what it is.

Basically, when installing (by default) the device chooses whether to put data on the sdcard or leave it internally (the auto option). In setting this to 2, it will always choose the SD card.

This is equivalent to going to Settings>Apps><app>>Move to SD Card, on every installed app (Obviously, if the app can't be moved, it wont).

I'm pretty confident it's equivalent to move to SD card, this is the only utility android has for moving to SD card (without a hacked a2sd - which has nothing to do with pm, it just tricks the install location).

Zeb

Guest trevor432990

Thanks for the additional info Zeb. I am trying to figure out why it does not work right now as it would be great to have it switched on when you have a BIG app to load like NavFree which is 72mb but which other people have advised me on other platforms it runs fine when loaded to SD card. Any ideas how I can get Package Manager working the way I want?

Guest Zebrahead
Thanks for the additional info Zeb. I am trying to figure out why it does not work right now as it would be great to have it switched on when you have a BIG app to load like NavFree which is 72mb but which other people have advised me on other platforms it runs fine when loaded to SD card. Any ideas how I can get Package Manager working the way I want?

You've tried?

su -c pm setInstallLocation 2

That should work. If not, what does it say when you try that?

Zeb

Guest trevor432990
You've tried?

su -c pm setInstallLocation 2

That should work. If not, what does it say when you try that?

Zeb

Sorry but haven't used SuperUser before does that string go in a cmd window like the ADB commands or somewhere else?

Edit:- Tried in ADB folder and it said 'su' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Zebrahead
Sorry but haven't used SuperUser before does that string go in a cmd window like the ADB commands or somewhere else?

Edit:- Tried in ADB folder and it said 'su' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

This goes into your prompt, there are various ways you can do it.

- ConnectBot or any other terminal emulator on your and roid devi ce (I put spaces into and roid devi ce to stop it from linking to ebay for some reason?)

- adb shell "command"

- adb shell - this will give you a prompt, from here you can type the command. (The above step is these things combined into one)

Zeb

Edited by Zebrahead

Guest trevor432990
This goes into your prompt, there are various ways you can do it.

- ConnectBot or any other terminal emulator on your and roid devi ce (I put spaces into and roid devi ce to stop it from linking to ebay for some reason?)

- adb shell "command"

- adb shell - this will give you a prompt, from here you can type the command. (The above step is these things combined into one)

Zeb

Tried it using both the last two methods described and get the same error message namely "Permission denied". :unsure:

Your eBay link problem is probably down to this site using Skimlinks app which also slows pages down a bit (see my topic about it) should cure your issue too.

Guest Zebrahead
Tried it using both the last two methods described and get the same error message namely "Permission denied". :unsure:

Your eBay link problem is probably down to this site using Skimlinks app which also slows pages down a bit (see my topic about it) should cure your issue too.

Are you using honeycomb?

You may need to fix superuser. I think somewhere in the honeycomb thread I read that the superuser binary had been made non executable, this should fix it :

adb remount

adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/su

It should then work.

(This basically, remounts the system partition, allowing you to read and write to it, it then changes the mode of su to allow you to execute it, thus solving the permission denied)

Zeb

Guest trevor432990
Are you using honeycomb?

You may need to fix superuser. I think somewhere in the honeycomb thread I read that the superuser binary had been made non executable, this should fix it :

adb remount

adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/su

It should then work.

(This basically, remounts the system partition, allowing you to read and write to it, it then changes the mode of su to allow you to execute it, thus solving the permission denied)

Zeb

No I'm on MCK-r2 with r7 ROM. BTW I installed ConnectBot on the Vega tried setting it to LOCAL and inputting the 'su' command but that came back permission denied too. I've carried out the ADB commands to chmod then retried the 'su -c etc.' and I'm afraid it still came back permission denied :unsure:

Edited by trevor432990

Guest Zebrahead
No I'm on MCK-r2 with r7 ROM. BTW I installed ConnectBot on the Vega tried setting it to LOCAL and inputting the 'su' command but that came back permission denied too. I've carried out the ADB commands to chmod then retried the 'su -c etc.' and I'm afraid it still came back permission denied :unsure:

Oh...

Ok then, well your su permissions shouldn't be messed up :)

Try this and tell me the output?

ls -l /system/xbin | grep su

Zeb

Maybe try rebooting into recovery, going to mounts and storage, mount system, then adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/su

Guest trevor432990
Oh...

Ok then, well your su permissions shouldn't be messed up :unsure:

Try this and tell me the output?

ls -l /system/xbin | grep su

Zeb

Maybe try rebooting into recovery, going to mounts and storage, mount system, then adb shell chmod 755 /system/xbin/su

Reply to the above was

-rwxr-xr-x root root 26264 2011-02-07 09:49 su

l: no such file or directory

grep: No such file or driectory

su: no such file or directory

Think I shall give up at this point. Hopefully Corvus & Newbe5 can incorporate something into Vegacomb for us to load apps to SD card

Edited by trevor432990