A big thank you to Currys UK customer service

Guest Yogimax

Guest Yogimax

Folks - I posted this in another thread, but thought that it needed a new one to make sure it was picked up by the Advent team... Sorry for the repeat post.

OK - I have successfully (and easily) replaced my 1st generation Vega with the latest version. This is what I did - and from the outset I have to say the customer service I received was first class! :P

1 I rang after-sales support on 0844 5610000. I got through in about 2 minutes, and after giving my name and address, explained to the rep that I had bought my Vega before christmas, but the screen was unusable when plugged into charge as when I tried typing it gave double letters etc. I explained I had put the latest ROMs on as they were released, but this had not fixed the problem. He looked it up on his system, found the reference and told me that it was a Code 5 issue (which I knew already). He told me to take it back to any Curry's or PC World and I would get a replacement. I asked him for a reference, and he gave me my customer reference for the call I had just made.

2 I went into my local Curry's superstore in Lisburn with the following: Vega with the 1.09 ROM flashed, AC charger and also I had installed "Multi Touch Visualiser" on it. I did not have my receipt, but the Vega was in the original box.

3 I had a chat with the guy on the customer support desk, explained the situation and that I had been told to come in for a Code 5 replacement. I gave him my customer number as at 1 above and demonstrated the screen issue using "Multi Touch Visualiser". He agreed it was a fault and looked up his system.

4 The local system told him that the Vega should be sent back to the service centre - however as I had my customer reference which said that it was a Code 5, he went away and rang the service centre. They confirmed that on their system it was an unrepairable fault and should be replaced in store. :unsure:

5 He asked for the address that the Vega had originally been delivered to, and was able to confirm the order date and reference from his system.

6 After authorisation from the store manager, he popped into the stores and came back with my replacement Vega which I duly signed for.

7 Lastly - because the price had reduced from the time I originally bought it from £249 to £199 he informed me that I had £50 owing to me, and how would I like it - needless to say I took cash!

Overall, a very good customer service experience unlike some of the experiences posted in this forum and my thanks to the customer service staff in Lisburn! :)

Guest pakomen

Not so fortunate here, It had already gone to Forestside and been returned with the answer, we can't find the fault..

So I decided to ring the above number.I spent about 30 minutes talking to Sahid ,Saying that I have had intermittant problems with keyboard bounce, battery dead when 82% indicated on screen,

Angry birds lock ups and also mentioned that i had compared it with friends newer machine which had none of these problems although on both machines i had installed same roms and programs..he just wouldn't listen and

said it would have to go back to technical dept...at this I mentioned code 5 and he didn't want to know and said no, it would have to go back for repair. At this I said I've already been there..why would I waste time and petrol to take an article to a shop to have it repaired if I didn't think it was faulty , I might have well talked to a brick wall.

Anyhow I didn't mention that it also wouldn't install the newer roms corvus5 and cm7 and honeycomb which is the main issue, (I can live with the others) I am fully aware of the programming procedures and when i go through the same procedures with my friends machine they all work fine.and I have worked in computer technical position, since IT was invented so I am not without knowledge of programming procedures.

He asked for the serial number..which was at home so i have to call back tomorrow with serial number and he will have it collected..(I don't see the point, as it's intermittant they will probabnly just return it!!

So it looks like if I want to upgrade to the newer roms I will have to buy another and put my current one on an auction site..anybody offer me £150?

Disgruntled Currys customer...

PS would it be worth paying Lisburn a visit?

cheers

Pako

Guest HugoQueiriga
Not so fortunate here, It had already gone to Forestside and been returned with the answer, we can't find the fault..

So I decided to ring the above number.I spent about 30 minutes talking to Sahid ,Saying that I have had intermittant problems with keyboard bounce, battery dead when 82% indicated on screen,

Angry birds lock ups and also mentioned that i had compared it with friends newer machine which had none of these problems although on both machines i had installed same roms and programs..he just wouldn't listen and

said it would have to go back to technical dept...at this I mentioned code 5 and he didn't want to know and said no, it would have to go back for repair. At this I said I've already been there..why would I waste time and petrol to take an article to a shop to have it repaired if I didn't think it was faulty , I might have well talked to a brick wall.

Anyhow I didn't mention that it also wouldn't install the newer roms corvus5 and cm7 and honeycomb which is the main issue, (I can live with the others) I am fully aware of the programming procedures and when i go through the same procedures with my friends machine they all work fine.and I have worked in computer technical position, since IT was invented so I am not without knowledge of programming procedures.

He asked for the serial number..which was at home so i have to call back tomorrow with serial number and he will have it collected..(I don't see the point, as it's intermittant they will probabnly just return it!!

So it looks like if I want to upgrade to the newer roms I will have to buy another and put my current one on an auction site..anybody offer me £150?

Disgruntled Currys customer...

PS would it be worth paying Lisburn a visit?

cheers

Pako

I had no luck as you, so I waited for their pickup yesterday and they never turned up, so had to go instore today.

I have already mentioned to them the sales good act I'm within reason to expect a working unit back, if not I shall want a replacement.

Tired of their BS really, I also have a previous conversation recorded where they told me I could get refund, but was then later denied!

Edited by HugoQueiriga

Guest tony barnes
7 Lastly - because the price had reduced from the time I originally bought it from £249 to £199 he informed me that I had £50 owing to me, and how would I like it - needless to say I took cash!

What?!!? Hmm, interesting... my screen double presses when plugged in, is that the sole reason for exchange? If so, mine does that, and I could do with 50 notes...

But yes, great CS, fair play

Guest HugoQueiriga
What?!!? Hmm, interesting... my screen double presses when plugged in, is that the sole reason for exchange? If so, mine does that, and I could do with 50 notes...

But yes, great CS, fair play

This is a CODE 2 issue now, no longer CODE 5, so no refund! :P

Guest worto03

Mine suffers from the erratic touchscreen when it's on charge. It's actually unusable when on charge.

No luck here either though I spoke to 2 people, one in faults then he put me through to customer services but the only option they would offer me was to send it off for repair, they gave me the postal address and email address when I asked for it but said I would get the same answer.

they said the problem was that the manufacturer had not contacted them to say it was a known fault - if they had a letter would have been sent to me automatically giving me various options. they also said that there is no difference if your over 6 months or not contrary to what I've seen online. Mine is 5 months old at the mo.

they said a repair team has to confirm the fault and it can't be done instore.

The addresses if anyone wants them are :-

[email protected]

currys customer services

po box 1687

sheffield

s2 5ya

I'm not sure if I can be bothered to take this any further, I actually love my vega, there is no way they are having it off me to repair it - I just wish they would treat everyone the same - some people seem to be getting replacements while others arn't?

what have Advent said about this - are they admitting it's a known fault on the earlier models?

Guest HugoQueiriga
What constitutes CODE 5 then?

For that you will have to ask Currys, however I can tell you with code 5 I was offered Repair\Replacement\Refund.

That being said others have different results, so Currys are the only ones who know what is CODE 5!

Guest WillDroid

When I got mine I chose to pay for the extra cover on it (two years accidental damage) and I can tell you it was the right decision :-) when i got my vega home and was testing it I found that the HDMI port on it didn't work at all, so I took it back to Currys Digital amd said that I bought it two days ago and the HDMI port didn't work and no questions asked, they gave me a new one! They also said they'd reset the warranty to start again from that day! Fantastic service :-) Whether or not the cover made a difference I don't know, but fair play to them :-)

Guest npuk

Currys are only offering to repair them now which is very unfair seeing some have had a replacement with a new unit and even the price difference refunded. I am not really even bothered about the £50 refund, prices obviously go down that is expected, I just want a properly working unit.

As they have changed the touch panel / screen on the latest units there clearly was a problem with the original units and they know there was so they should swap them out.

It seems even sending them for repair is a waste of time as they are sending them back as not faulty as mentioned on the thread below.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...g-it-on-repair/

Edited by npuk

Guest MaxiP
Currys are only offering to repair them now which is very unfair seeing some have had a replacement with a new unit and even the price difference refunded. I am not really even bothered about the £50 refund, prices obviously go down that is expected, I just want a properly working unit.

As they have changed the touch panel / screen on the latest units there clearly was a problem with the original units and they know there was so they should swap them out.

It seems even sending them for repair is a waste of time as they are sending them back as not faulty as mentioned on the thread below.

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...g-it-on-repair/

Anyone else experienced this (i.e. repair option only) ? You would have thought if Customer Services define it as Code 5 (replace) then the shop should contact CS if you insist this is the case. Or have CS now coded it is a Code 2 (repair) ?

Guest npuk
Anyone else experienced this (i.e. repair option only) ? You would have thought if Customer Services define it as Code 5 (replace) then the shop should contact CS if you insist this is the case. Or have CS now coded it is a Code 2 (repair) ?

Both stores and customer services now say its a code 2.

Guest MaxiP

Finally got around to calling CS to tyr and get mine replaced....

Spoke to a very helpful & polite gentleman who took all my details and asked all the relevant questions. He said it sounded like a HW fault as I had tried different ROM's and SW keyboards - he even suggested that it wasn't the screen but was a mainboard issue. He could arrange for collection, repair & return within 14 days if I wanted to have it repaired.

I described Yogi's post above and asked if the system described it as a code 5 and the answer was "no that it is showing on [my] system as a code 2 which means repair rather than code 5 for replacement". However, he did suggest that the individual stores can over-ride the system and could elect to replace themselves, particularly if that have had other returns (Lisburn store's looking good now).

Last thing he said was to make sure that you install latest default ROM and take box & all accessories to the store with you and be able to demonstrate what the fault is.

So I'm going to take it to my local (hicks-ville) store and see what they can do. I strongly suspect that they will not have come across this before as it's only recently that they have had any stock so may not have seen the early models. However, this might work in my favour if we could compare old & new side by side and if I can blind them with science, experiences from this forum & big words :P

Now, where's that original 4Gb SD card.........

Guest MaxiP

Quick update (and perhaps some explanation).

Just went to my local Currys and had a good chat with the manager. Long story short - Currys now repair Vega themselves (rather than sending back to Advent) so all returns WILL go for repair rather than straightforward replace. This will be done in max 10 days from collection from home or store so have left mine in for repair / replace and we'll see what happens.

When it comes back, I will be testing it in the store and if the problem persists, ask for a replacement - guess what, the manager (an android user himself) agrees that if it doesn't work, should be replaced.

Time will tell......

Guest Unipete

My Vega went for a repair a couple of weeks ago through PC World. Got a phone call yesterday to say it had been repaired and was ready for collection. Travelled across town today to pick it up and tested it in the store.

Same screen problem is there when on battery and when on mains. Even the guy who booked it in said that it doesnt look as if they had done anything to it. Then he insists that he has to send it off again, (serious tongue biting going on by this point).

So, a total waste of my time and I'm still without the Vega and have even less confidence that they can repair it.

PC World. You SUCK!!!

Guest bearded1

i took my vega in yesterday - you may remember the screen issues it was having.. as it was bought in december i was told that there was a no questions asked recall on all from that time and i got a full 250 quid refund! so then i bouht a brand new one for 200! not sure why i did that though as i am currently typing this from my asus transformer.. do i really need 2? i dont think so..

Guest npuk
i took my vega in yesterday - you may remember the screen issues it was having.. as it was bought in december i was told that there was a no questions asked recall on all from that time and i got a full 250 quid refund! so then i bouht a brand new one for 200! not sure why i did that though as i am currently typing this from my asus transformer.. do i really need 2? i dont think so..

Did the staff member check their system or call somone to check or they just said this as soon as they saw it was and Advent Vega?

Guest worto03

It's this inconsistency between each customer that is annoying me! What was your screen issue the usual 'being unusable when on charge' or something worse?

They are in general coming out looking like the crap company I knew they were before I bought the device - the only reason I got it from them at all was because there was no choice! It's the 1st thing I've bought from them in years and the last for years to come too unless they are selling something only available to them again.

Cheers,

worto.

Guest bearded1

as soon as i said 'advent vega' and 'knackered screen' the chap said it was for a recall.. i didnt even have to demo the problem!

you know when you look at the screen from below? and the screen goes kinda negative because of the terrible viewing angle? well i had that on one side of the screen and then the other way around when viewed from above.. as if the screen was made of two panels stuck together but one was upside down.there is a post i put on the forum somewhere with pictures.

anyhoo i think i'll take the new one back for a refund be cause there isnt any point in having a vega AND a transformer. with a baby due at any moment i can use the money for far better things..

like the seventy quids worth of blu-rays i just ordered :D

Guest HugoQueiriga
as soon as i said 'advent vega' and 'knackered screen' the chap said it was for a recall.. i didnt even have to demo the problem!

you know when you look at the screen from below? and the screen goes kinda negative because of the terrible viewing angle? well i had that on one side of the screen and then the other way around when viewed from above.. as if the screen was made of two panels stuck together but one was upside down.there is a post i put on the forum somewhere with pictures.

anyhoo i think i'll take the new one back for a refund be cause there isnt any point in having a vega AND a transformer. with a baby due at any moment i can use the money for far better things..

like the seventy quids worth of blu-rays i just ordered :D

Is this a actual recall? Did they check their systems?

I was in today to pick up my returned Vega, unfortunately it is not my one it is a refurb. unit and the screen seems worse on battery than my old one.

Guest Graham Macleod

Which store please - PC World, Curry's or Dixons (does it matter). Did you call first? Sorry for the questions but I'very got nowhere with PC World on an obvious hardware fault. A refund would be marvellous.