No one else is concerned about Dell's lack of support for updates?

Guest coronet

Guest coronet

Firstly, a tremendous applause goes to DJ Steve and the whole team of coders who have done something the official manufacture could never do: keep the device relevant. This rant is not for them. This is specifically aimed at Dell.

Dell Streak launched with 1.6 when 2.2 was already rolling out, and it was customary to at least have 2.1. They promised 2.2 for all, but that was only after Steve beat them to the rush with his own unofficial ROM. But official 2.2 still comes with it's problems; the unofficial ROM is undoubtedly better for all users of the Streak. I don't even want to talk about how bad the interm 2.1-O2 build was. Now 2.3 is well-established, and Dell clearly has no intentions of updating. That may be seen as OK for phones as old as the Streak, but remember Dell is still selling this device as new (here in America, at least) and with a 99$ pricetag with a 2-year contract -- which is ridiculous given it's age. I don't think it's fair customers have to get locked into a two-year deal with a phone that will never promise an update to them ever... as in, being outdated even as they are being told the phone is the new, latest and greatest thing.

Again, the lack of support would probably be fine if this were HTC, Motorola, or Samsung, who have rolled out new phones since. But Dell has not. It seems that Dell's intentions is to market this phone as new for quite some time. But it took Dell intense pressure from it's customers, and some help from the development community just to make their own build of 2.2, and they clearly don't want to build 2.3. I do not think this is very fair to us early adopters who put a lot of blind faith into buying this device, and all the late-adopters who have to sit back and watch all the other phones they could have bought around them get updated.

Anyways, just a rant. I guess no one was promised anything, and Dell can market this outdated device with a full pricetag for as long as they want. I just think they are treating new buyers unfairly, and early adopters who bought Dell's first phone ever won't be buying another Dell phone again (if Dell even has the audacity to release a phone with the poor support I've seen them give their community). Does anyone else feel this? Dell used to be so good with their PDAs, and they've won awards for their support for other devices. If they didn't want to update their phone's software, they should have never entered this market in the first place. The Dell Aero was dropped all support altogether, and the Dell Venue Android appears it will be stuck with the same out-of-date fate the Streak will have.

Guest Azurren

1.6, 2.1, 2.2, planned 2.3/3.0..

Nope Dell seems to be pretty good :unsure:

Every other Android phone I have ever owned only upgraded once if not at all. HTC seem worse than Dell at supporting their devices. Sony left the Xperia on 1.6 for far to long..

Guest Djp42
Firstly, a tremendous applause goes to DJ Steve and the whole team of coders who have done something the official manufacture could never do: keep the device relevant. This rant is not for them. This is specifically aimed at Dell.

Dell Streak launched with 1.6 when 2.2 was already rolling out, and it was customary to at least have 2.1. They promised 2.2 for all, but that was only after Steve beat them to the rush with his own unofficial ROM. But official 2.2 still comes with it's problems; the unofficial ROM is undoubtedly better for all users of the Streak. I don't even want to talk about how bad the interm 2.1-O2 build was. Now 2.3 is well-established, and Dell clearly has no intentions of updating. That may be seen as OK for phones as old as the Streak, but remember Dell is still selling this device as new (here in America, at least) and with a 99$ pricetag with a 2-year contract -- which is ridiculous given it's age. I don't think it's fair customers have to get locked into a two-year deal with a phone that will never promise an update to them ever... as in, being outdated even as they are being told the phone is the new, latest and greatest thing.

Again, the lack of support would probably be fine if this were HTC, Motorola, or Samsung, who have rolled out new phones since. But Dell has not. It seems that Dell's intentions is to market this phone as new for quite some time. But it took Dell intense pressure from it's customers, and some help from the development community just to make their own build of 2.2, and they clearly don't want to build 2.3. I do not think this is very fair to us early adopters who put a lot of blind faith into buying this device, and all the late-adopters who have to sit back and watch all the other phones they could have bought around them get updated.

Anyways, just a rant. I guess no one was promised anything, and Dell can market this outdated device with a full pricetag for as long as they want. I just think they are treating new buyers unfairly, and early adopters who bought Dell's first phone ever won't be buying another Dell phone again (if Dell even has the audacity to release a phone with the poor support I've seen them give their community). Does anyone else feel this? Dell used to be so good with their PDAs, and they've won awards for their support for other devices. If they didn't want to update their phone's software, they should have never entered this market in the first place. The Dell Aero was dropped all support altogether, and the Dell Venue Android appears it will be stuck with the same out-of-date fate the Streak will have.

Long shot but it might be worth hassling their Twitter apge.

@DellCares

Austin TX

Dell's Social Media Outreach Team. Hours (CST): 8AM-9PM, M-F & 8AM-5PM S-S We are here to listen, help and provide proactive info to our Customers.

Guest pawdog

Seems to be the common complaint of so many devices. Where is my update? I don't think a company like Dell sees upgrading the OS of a device as support but as software development. Problem is they are not a software company. Anything we get from them will be a bonus. I would thinK the community that has developed because of this device would not expect much from Dell beyond replacing defective devices. I don't expect free improvements for a phone just as I don't expect them to send me a copy of Windows 7 for my old XPS 410 computer.

You say 2.3 is well established. Are there any carrier based devices as old as the Streak running 2.3? Maybe its a little premature to denigrate Dell for not providing something no one else provides.

Edited by pawdog

Guest jmhalder
Maybe its a little premature to denigrate Dell for not providing something no one else provides.

QFT

I'd love to see 2.3 on my Streak as much as the next guy, but all the US SGS variants are on 2.2, the atrix, infuse, aria, defy, D2(g), DX, Incredible, Evo, etc are all officially on 2.2... Honestly, I can't think of a US phone having 2.3 with the exception of the Nexus S, even if the phones in the pipes will have it... obviously most of the listed phones have it unofficially, but that doesn't count for 95% of the users.

Guest Azurren
Didn't think there was much difference between 2.2 and 2.3?

A different theme.. Some bug fixes, some new "Features" and some lag (Seriously 2.3 is slower than 2.2 (For ARM7 processors at least)

Guest jmhalder
A different theme.. Some bug fixes, some new "Features" and some lag (Seriously 2.3 is slower than 2.2 (For ARM7 processors at least)

Not at all, I've run CM7 on a few devices, Evo, G2, Droid, MT-Slide, and Nook, they all perform VERY well, I've never noticed a performance hit when compared to 2.1 (with the Nook being the exception since MANY things weren't efficiently ported over (which has now been fixed for the most part in the *.32 kernels)).

The big improvement is that APIs for the FFC actually exist in 2.3, that, along with some gaming APIs and NFC... FFC support is the one that wins me over.

*(and yes, I understand that CM7 isn't straight AOSP, but whatever)

Edited by jmhalder

Guest somebody9

Dell is a piece of s***. I bought the Dell 5 for it's screen, which is great. But Dell makes devices they have no intention of supporting. Once they've sold it to you, they're done. Every company is like that to some extent, but Dell takes that idea to whole new levels. Conclusion : Dell is shite unless you're a large company looking for servers or office equipment.

TLDR; F*UCK DELL

Edited by somebody9

Guest Azurren
Not at all, I've run CM7 on a few devices, Evo, G2, Droid, MT-Slide, and Nook, they all perform VERY well, I've never noticed a performance hit when compared to 2.1 (with the Nook being the exception since MANY things weren't efficiently ported over (which has now been fixed for the most part in the *.32 kernels)).

The big improvement is that APIs for the FFC actually exist in 2.3, that, along with some gaming APIs and NFC... FFC support is the one that wins me over.

*(and yes, I understand that CM7 isn't straight AOSP, but whatever)

Your comparing 2.1 to 2.3 (Cyanogen, it helps but as you say doesn't make that much of a difference)

And I quite agree with you that 2.3 seems to run at the same speed as 2.1 whereas 2.2 runs noticeably faster

Dell is a piece of s***. I bought the Dell 5 for it's screen, which is great. But Dell makes devices they have no intention of supporting. Once they've sold it to you, they're done. Every company is like that to some extent, but Dell takes that idea to whole new levels. Conclusion : Dell is shite unless you're a large company looking for servers or office equipment.

TLDR; F*UCK DELL

Dell have already updated the Streak twice.. Which is twice more than what is required and what most other companies do. They are even considering a 2.3/3.x upgrade :P

Guest Televinken
Heh non-official but who cares? :P

Sure.....cute picture.

That's not what I asked for, though...

I guess it'll take some time to present the

official 2.3 version, if they'll ever get it out.

Especially since they only quite recently got

the 2.2.2 out in the public. I'll believe it when

I see it. Would be nice if it contains less bugs.

Guest Azurren
Sure.....cute picture.

That's not what I asked for, though...

I guess it'll take some time to present the

official 2.3 version, if they'll ever get it out.

Especially since they only quite recently got

the 2.2.2 out in the public. I'll believe it when

I see it. Would be nice if it contains less bugs.

I honestly don't know as all the rumour sources.. Well.. They just don't exist

Alot of people believe them because they seem to come from reputable sites but as they don't have any sources I guess it is, for now, just a rumour

A quick google finds all the rumour sources but noting official

Same with 3.x honeycomb. It seems alot of people think its coming but again, nothing official, not even a shred of evidence

Edited by Azurren

Guest Televinken

Alot of people believe them because they seem to come from reputable sites but as they don't have any sources I guess it is, for now, just a rumour

Same with 3.x honeycomb. It seems alot of people think its coming but again, nothing official, not even a shred of evidence

Yup. That's true. We'll just have to wait'n'see, won't we?

Perhaps there'll be a new Streak out, before the bread.

I guess all we can do, is have ourselves another beer.

Cheers!

:P

Guest jmhalder

I can ASSURE you, they ARE working on it... not exactly proof, but they DID share "alpha" quality kernel code for GB on the Streak 5.

insider info says they are working on it too.

Guest Televinken
I can ASSURE you, they ARE working on it... not exactly proof, but they DID share "alpha" quality kernel code for GB on the Streak 5.

insider info says they are working on it too.

Sounds great! There's definately room for improvements...

Cheers!

Guest flamewave

@JoannaGuise Unfortunately, no current plans to upgrade Streak 5 to Gingerbread. Thanks, AB about 12 hours ago via Radian6 in reply to JoannaGuise

Guest tavella

I learned my lesson finally with the Streak 5. I had a Dell Axim x51V WinMo PDA that they never updated even though the hardware can handle it and a Dell DJ 30 which was a giant flop... Thank god there are people like DJ Steve out there else the Streak 5 would be a one update wonder as well. The way I've seen it is Dell got your money, thank you now move along. Might not be their exact mentality but it sure comes across that way.

Guest flamewave
I learned my lesson finally with the Streak 5. I had a Dell Axim x51V WinMo PDA that they never updated even though the hardware can handle it and a Dell DJ 30 which was a giant flop... Thank god there are people like DJ Steve out there else the Streak 5 would be a one update wonder as well. The way I've seen it is Dell got your money, thank you now move along. Might not be their exact mentality but it sure comes across that way.

+1

Guest Nomgle
No one else is concerned about Dell's lack of support for updates?

Nope. DELL's update support has been excellent for the unlocked Streaks.

This rant is not for them. This is specifically aimed at Dell.

The DELL Streak launched with 1.6

DELL released a 2.1 update

Then DELL release a 2.2 update

Then DELL released a 2.2.2 update

This is a vastly better update record than most other handsets on the market - there are plenty of Android phones around that got one or zero updates.

I have no idea why you're blaming AT&T's hilarious update policies on DELL - they're well documented, and nothing new. If you don't like them, then don't buy AT&T handsets !

Edited by Nomgle

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flamewave
Nope. DELL's update support has been excellent for the unlocked Streaks.

The DELL Streak launched with 1.6

DELL released a 2.1 update

Then DELL release a 2.2 update

Then DELL released a 2.2.2 update

This is a vastly better update record than most other handsets on the market - there are plenty of Android phones around that got one or zero updates.

I have no idea why you're blaming AT&T's hilarious update policies on DELL - they're well documented, and nothing new. If you don't like them, then don't buy AT&T handsets !

htc *are* bringing gb to the desire, according to their uk fb page

Guest fards
htc *are* bringing gb to the desire, according to their uk fb page

and Dell *ARE* bringing gb to the streak according to the head of the mobiles team..

and he wouldn't dare lie to us on IRC channel ;)

Edited by fards