How-to Increase streak storage up to 62 GB !!!

Guest kwenteen

Guest kwenteen

Hello there ! Here is finally a good and quite pratical way to increase your available space on your beloved Streak phone !

what we want to do :

increase the total available memory for music, movies, manga... up to 62 GB !!

how to ?

by replacing the second microSD, normally not user-accessible (called innersd)

What does it do ?

!!!ATTENTION

First you should know that it mess up a script that recognize normally this peticuliar innersd. indeed, the original script recognize apparently only cards smaller than 4 GB... So if you switch this card for a bigger one, you'll need to bypass this script, by using an adapted boot.img, according to the android version you are using.

Morover, the new user space that will be added by this way won't be easily accessed, like with a usb-mount. Instead, you'll have to use command line like adb push and adb pull to put things on it from the computer, or softwares that access memory via adb too.

For hardresets, I can say that with mistadman's recovery mode, you can do it even with a big innersd, you can also adb while in this mode, so everything works. But I think it is not possible to hardreset with the original recovery mode...

Of course, I won't be held responsible for any dommage done to your device, this HOW-TO is as detailled as possible, but still requires some basical notions, please read it twice before trying anything !!

ATTENTION !!!

The new user space created in your innersd will be mounted automatically under the file /intsd, thanks to the modified boot.img.

A script that runs automatically (thanks to the autoscript soft) will then link this /intsd into any folder in the /sdcard/ repertory, so the innersd will be accessible to the android system and apps. The same script force a rescan of media available in the /sdcard, so the device detect your new media, and make them visible for the apps.

Finally, on the user side, there is few changes :

as there is a link of /instd on the /sdcard folder, you cannot mount /sdcard with usual tools without unmounting first the /intsd folder link. To bypass this, you can use the free software called multi mount SD-card, that will mount your external sdcard as a classical usb storage on your computer without unmounting on the phone side, meaning that you can still access it (to listen to music for exemple) while mounted on your computer !!

How to do that ?

1-preparing the new sdcard

1-1 switch off your phone

1-2-Introduce your new sdcard in the external slot (the regular one)

1-3-reboot your phone

1-4 We are now going to back-up your old internal sdcard into the new one, and prepare the extra space left for personnal usage :

for this we are going to DD all what's in the old innersd to the new sdcard in the external slot. Then use the extraspace to create an Ext3 partition, that will be used for storage.

this is obtained by executing the following commands from your pc, using adb :

adb shell

su

umount /sdcard

cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1

"Wait long time"

busybox_1P8P1 fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

p "Show partition table"

"Should show 3 partitions,1 5 and 6"

n "New Partition"

p "Primary"

2 "Partition 2"

"enter, selects first available sector"

"enter, selects last available sector"

p "Show partition table"

"Should now show 4 partitions, 1 2 5 and 6"

w "To write the new partition table"

busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

after those steps, you should get everything from the old innersd copied in the new one, plus another partition containing the rest of the available space from your new innersd.

2 flashing a new boot.img to cope with the big innersd :

Now, we are going to flash the new boot.img, that will allow the streak to boot with a big innersd, and mount the extraspace from the innersd card in the /intsd folder.

for this, shutdown your phone, and restart it while pushing the camera button, then click on the fastboot button on the screen. Wait a few sec, when the phone display wait for USB Fastboot detect, plug your phone to your computer.

in a terminal move to the folder containing your fastboot exec, and enter (those commandlines are for linux, it may vary a bit for windows, adjust it as required)

fastboot -i 0x413c flash boot /where/you/put/your/boot.img

"where boot.img is the name of the modified boot.img, in the right folder."

Once the boot is uploaded,

shutdown the phone (remove the cable and the battery, or fastboot 0x413 reboot...)

3-Next step is to open your phone, and switch the cards

see this thread, for how to : http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...nal-sd-upgrade/

re-assemble your phone, boot it, and if everything worked correctly, your phone should be like usual...

4-Software part

To finnish this mod, you'll have to install via the market the autostart app and the multi mount SD-card widget.

for the autostart to work, create a file called /data/opt/autostart.sh

and paste this text inside it :

busybox_1P8P1 mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd #you can adjust here the name of the target folder where you want to link the /intsd folder

pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

Finally, don't forget to create an empty folder that will be the target where you want to bind your intsd in your /mnt/sdcard...(in the autostart.sh below, it is linked in the /sdcard/intsd folder)

You have now an extra user space inside the /sdcard/intsd (or whatever empty folder name you picked) that is accessible via adb commands, and that is recognized by your phone and the apps you are using.

remember to use the widget multi mount SD-card to mount your external SDcard as mass storage mode!

Remember that boot.img are specifics to their ROMs, you can find almost all of them in the following thread : http://android.modaco.com/content-page/311...input/page/200/

here is the boot.img for last DJsteve version 1.9.0 streakdroid :

boot.img

The only weak spot of this mod, is that when using the multi mount SD-card mount, the link of /intsd is broken, thus not easily accessible, if anyone has a solution, please feel free to post it !

You can leave also any remark or suggestion !

I hope this How-to will be crystal-clear for you !!

My english is not very good, so feel free to correct me to make this HowTo more readable !

Boujou bien,

K.

credits to : Stephen Davidson, DjSteve, smokku

Edited by kwenteen

• 1 month later...
Guest rebski

@kwenteen

Thank you for persevering with this. I had been waiting for the warranty to expire on my Streak before trying to do it.

I am running out of reasons not to so my next step will be to buy a class 10 32gb microSD.

The Lexar cards go for a good price now. Patriot are much more expensive.

Guest crexa

Kwenteen. I'm somehow interested in what the options in streakdroid kernel needs modified boot. Volboost, perfmod, different screen density or al of them?

Guest kwenteen

Kwenteen. I'm somehow interested in what the options in streakdroid kernel needs modified boot. Volboost, perfmod, different screen density or al of them?

In fact, when you open the archive update.zip, you have a folder for each option in the /install/kor/ directory. Every streakdroid option requiring a modified boot.img will have it in the folder with his name, so you can find your answer in it !

Boujou bien,

K.

Guest crexa
In fact, when you open the archive update.zip, you have a folder for each option in the /install/kor/ directory. Every  streakdroid option requiring a modified boot.img will have it in the folder with his name, so you can find your answer in it

That was I exactly want to hear. Thanks!

Edited by crexa

Guest MACQUEYL

Any HELP for WINDOWS PC Users that do not have access to LINUX???

This is all very interesting & kudos for all the hard work. But, I have a Windows 7 PC, not linux. What do I need to do in order to accomplish upgrading my Streak's internal SD using a PC? The commands obviously need changing, but to what? I'm not an engineer or a programmer, but I have been successful in rooting and upgrading my ROM to various versions of DJ Steve's ROM (I currently have Streakdroid 1.9.1). I want to use a 32gb card for my internal SD card.

Thanks so very much for any help with this.

Guest Wee Thomas

Any HELP for WINDOWS PC Users that do not have access to LINUX???

This is all very interesting & kudos for all the hard work. But, I have a Windows 7 PC, not linux. What do I need to do in order to accomplish upgrading my Streak's internal SD using a PC? The commands obviously need changing, but to what? I'm not an engineer or a programmer, but I have been successful in rooting and upgrading my ROM to various versions of DJ Steve's ROM (I currently have Streakdroid 1.9.1). I want to use a 32gb card for my internal SD card.

Thanks so very much for any help with this.

None of the instructions require linux. All can be done on windows.

Guest MACQUEYL

That's good to know. So, to prepare the new SD card (copy old to new & create the appropriate partitions) would I just type the following commands in at the ""C:\" prompt?

adb shell

su

umount /sdcard

cat /dev/block/innersd0 > /dev/block/mmcblk1

"Wait long time"

busybox_1P8P1 fdisk /dev/block/mmcblk1

p "Show partition table"

"Should show 3 partitions,1 5 and 6"

n "New Partition"

p "Primary"

2 "Partition 2"

"enter, selects first available sector"

"enter, selects last available sector"

p "Show partition table"

"Should now show 4 partitions, 1 2 5 and 6"

w "To write the new partition table"

busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2

Guest adzman808

That's good to know. So, to prepare the new SD card (copy old to new & create the appropriate partitions) would I just type the following commands in at the ""C:\" prompt?

you'll have to chnage the default location of cmd to the folder where adb.exe is located (which will be where ever you left it!) but yeah that's it

so for example my streak tools live in a folder called "streak" on the root of my c drive

so i'd type froma default cmd prompt

C:\Users\Adam>cd c:\streak

c:\Streak>

NOW i can type adb shell

remember to run CMD as admin

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MACQUEYL

you'll have to chnage the default location of cmd to the folder where adb.exe is located (which will be where ever you left it!) but yeah that's it

so for example my streak tools live in a folder called "streak" on the root of my c drive

so i'd type froma default cmd prompt

C:\Users\Adam>cd c:\streak

c:\Streak>

NOW i can type adb shell

remember to run CMD as admin

cheers

Thank you! I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Guest Ebaul

Hello all;

I've been reading this thread and I can pretty much follow it through, however I don't have the files that were on my internal SD-card. I have another 2GB to replace the damaged one, but no access to the original since it is damaged (confirmed damaged).

Is there a place to download these files? If so, would someone please post the link.

Thanks;

Guest kwenteen
<br />Hello all;<br /><br />I've been reading this thread and I can pretty much follow it through, however I don't have the files that were on my internal SD-card. I have another 2GB to replace the damaged one, but no access to the original since it is damaged (confirmed damaged).<br /><br />Is there a place to download these files? If so, would someone please post the link.<br /><br />Thanks;<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to follow this Howto... basically, you just need to put your new internal µSD instead of the broken one, then boot with the vol down (or up) push... and then choose factory reset, it should prepare your brand new micro sd !

good luck !

Boujou bien,

K.

Guest Ebaul

<br /><br /><br />

If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to follow this Howto... basically, you just need to put your new internal µSD instead of the broken one, then boot with the vol down (or up) push... and then choose factory reset, it should prepare your brand new micro sd !

good luck !

Boujou bien,

K.

Thanks for your response. I'm afraid that would not be an option for me, since my streak won't power on. I can't even get to the Vol Up + Plug USB, and can't fastboot either, the phone is completely dead. The battery was at full when the phone got bricked. I heard that replacing the internal sd-card with the partitions and the image files can fix this. Again, thanks but I think i need more than that!! I forgot to mention that part on my first post.. :-(

Edited by Ebaul

• 2 months later...
Guest mdmglobal

First of thank you for putting this all together. Second I have a question. I like many others have had my internal microsd fail. I am not all worked up about getting more space, but need my Streak back working. Today i bought a 8gb Class 10 to replace the internal 2gb with. If i have read everyting correctly, please correct me if i am wrong, i can just put the 8gb in and factory reset and this will set it up as a 2gb. The other 6gb is not used. I hope i have this right as i have been without a phone all day and have to get it fixed today.

Thanks again for the great write up.

Dennis

<br /><br /><br />

good luck !

Boujou bien,

K.

Guest kwenteen

I'm afraid it won't work straight out of the box...

but the only extra steps are quite easy to do :

from the tuto, you just have to format your new microSD card, with your computer, to obtain 2 partitions, and flash the modified boot.img corresponding to your streakdroid version...

good luck !

First of thank you for putting this all together. Second I have a question. I like many others have had my internal microsd fail. I am not all worked up about getting more space, but need my Streak back working. Today i bought a 8gb Class 10 to replace the internal 2gb with. If i have read everyting correctly, please correct me if i am wrong, i can just put the 8gb in and factory reset and this will set it up as a 2gb. The other 6gb is not used. I hope i have this right as i have been without a phone all day and have to get it fixed today.

Thanks again for the great write up.

Dennis

Guest kwenteen

BTW, I just saw that 64 GB microSD are now available, and that after formating, they are compatible with many phones, despite the theoretical restriction...

Has anyone tried this on the streak ? they are less than 160 $... I cannot find them yet in France.

Boujou bien,

K.

Edited by kwenteen

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kwenteen

Sorry guys, I haven't flashed yet GB on my streak, didn't wanted to break it with this mod...

And now I just received the galaxy Note, so I'll be able to play with the streak without being afraid of not be able to phone call !

I will try this soon !

boujou bien,

K.

Is there a modified boot img for the 2.4.3 build of GingerStreak?.

I have not located one yet..

Guest kwenteen

BTW, as we can't use this mod on the galaxy note (no innersd, just a flash chip, which is only 16 GB),

I chose to put an adaptor microSD toward SD reader... This adaptor can be obtained from a famous gadget chinese site, SKU # 27001 (no more than 6 $)

this mod is quite safe, you will only ruin the backplate of your phone, which should be easily replacable (well I hope so, because mine is quite ugly now... :lol:)

The only difference between the NOTE and the Streak, is that the backplate slide in the streak and is metal, whereas it only is clipped directly and plastic, without sliding on the note, which make it easier on the later.

this mod allow us to put normal SD card on our phone, even the new LEXAR 128 GB... B)

THAT is A LOT of space huh ?

here is the mod on my NOTE :

erk0.jpg

erk1.jpg

Tell me what do you think of it !!

boujou bien,

K.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry guys, I haven't flashed yet GB on my streak, didn't wanted to break it with this mod...

And now I just received the galaxy Note, so I'll be able to play with the streak without being afraid of not be able to phone call !

I will try this soon !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest kwenteen

I think I made it... for 2.4.4, but unfortunately, it seems that I bricked my Streak by trying to upgrade... (not because of my mod, I just tried to upload the new dsp1 and amss.mbn... but I wrote flashboot dsp dsp1.mbn, which I believe was wrong, then I typed flashboot dsp1 dsp1.mbn... which was more it, but when I rebooted, the device refuse to boot ! at the best, I can get a dell logo, but nothing else... And I can't boot in recovery mode or flashboot mode !

Anyone got any idea ?

And if there's some willing beta tester around, here is the modified boot.img....

I HAVEN't BEEN ABLE TO TRY IT !!!!

but It should be rather armless, if it's no good, then it should not boot, you just have to put another original boot.img instead, with the flashboot util !

Tell me if it works, while I'll be trying to save my poor streak !

Boujou bien,

K.

this first version didn't worked well, here is the other one below !

Edited by kwenteen

Guest Azurren

BTW, as we can't use this mod on the galaxy note (no innersd, just a flash chip, which is only 16 GB),

I chose to put an adaptor microSD toward SD reader... This adaptor can be obtained from a famous gadget chinese site, SKU # 27001 (no more than 6 $)

this mod is quite safe, you will only ruin the backplate of your phone, which should be easily replacable (well I hope so, because mine is quite ugly now... :lol:)

The only difference between the NOTE and the Streak, is that the backplate slide in the streak and is metal, whereas it only is clipped directly and plastic, without sliding on the note, which make it easier on the later.

this mod allow us to put normal SD card on our phone, even the new LEXAR 128 GB... B)

THAT is A LOT of space huh ?

here is the mod on my NOTE :

Tell me what do you think of it !!

boujou bien,

K.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Are you sure the mico-SD reader can support cards over 32gb? :blink:

Looks real messy ;) Also looks like you had a fight with the glue-gun and you lost (Glue everywhere). With professional tools (Honestly don't expect you do have these) I bet someone could achieve a real nice finish!

Cudos to you for trying something new and daring to "hack" literally your new Note! Great mod!

Guest kwenteen

I m pretty sure that it will work... I just have to format it in fat32 system file...

I m waiting for the card now...

As for my superb mod, I don t know what to add to make it a little bit more finished... the glue was polished already, and the bits that are a little everywhere are here on purpose (no kidding :-P )

The note is really slippery, especialy when holding with one hand, and the glue add some grip!

And at that price, i prefer it a little ugly but in my hand, than beautiful and exploded on the ground... a matter of taste I guess :-D

If you have any idea for a good finish (no black tape, thanks! ) please describe !

I think I made it... for 2.4.4, but unfortunately, it seems that I bricked my Streak by trying to upgrade... (not because of my mod, I just tried to upload the new dsp1 and amss.mbn... but I wrote flashboot dsp dsp1.mbn, which I believe was wrong, then I typed flashboot dsp1 dsp1.mbn... which was more it, but when I rebooted, the device refuse to boot ! at the best, I can get a dell logo, but nothing else... And I can't boot in recovery mode or flashboot mode !

Anyone got any idea ?

And if there's some willing beta tester around, here is the modified boot.img....

I HAVEN't BEEN ABLE TO TRY IT !!!!

but It should be rather armless, if it's no good, then it should not boot, you just have to put another original boot.img instead, with the flashboot util !

Tell me if it works, while I'll be trying to save my poor streak !

Boujou bien,

K.

Whoopsy.

Even with a muffed up dsp you should still be able to do a QDL un-brick.