In-Car Audio Out

Guest Nik Louch

Guest Nik Louch

I am getting a Galaxy S2 to replace my ageing iPhone 3Gs, am a fan of Android now it has matrued enough, and am really keen to replace as many features as possible that I currently take for granted.

One such feature is in-car use. Let me explain:

1) I use it for playing music

2) I use it for navigation

3) I use it to take calls

I do this by taking a 3.5mm cable from the iPhone's headphone port into the 3.5mm input in my car's aux-in port. Easy enough so far. When music plays - it plays via my stereo. When navigation announces, it announces via my stereo.

But onto calls...

A call comes in. The music fades down and I press answer on the phone. I hear the person speaking via my stereo as the sound is sent over the 3.5 into my aux-in. Again, so far so good.

But how do they hear me? The mic on the iPhone is pretty good and mroeover DOESN'T cut off when a 3.5mm jack is inserted. Note: I am not putting the iPhone into speakerphone mode or such, basically as far as it knows - there is a headphone inserted and nothing more. So my caller hears what I say, via my standard in-call mic input.

NOT ALL PHONES WORK THIS WAY.

The ZTE Blade, for example, will allow me to do the same thing, literally swap out the iPhone for the Blade, and I can still hear everything just fine - except when I take a call, the internal mic seems to either not hear me or not hear me well enough, or cut off...? It's like it requires an in-line microphone on the headset cable.

Can anyone please advise?

Guest JamesKing

I have not used an iPhone for this, but I use my S2 the same way you use your iPhone, for the same reasons you describe, and it works the same way you want it to.

James

Guest NZtechfreak

Can confirm it works this way, I use it like this also.

(although I also have Tasker set up to pause media playback and read text messages to me whilst driving)

Edited by NZtechfreak

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rob_1973

If you get the official car holder then you can just put the phone in the holder and then slide the usb part into the phone. You can do this one handed, then the power and audio are routed through the usb port so you don't need to have another cable coming out of the top of the phone as the power and 3.5mm jack plug into the holder.

I got mine a few days ago and it is great!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nik Louch

Rob...

I'm a bit confused about the in-car holder you have... Audio is routed through the USB? How's that work? Where do I plug my 3.5 jack? Can you take a pic or such please?

Morevoer, is ALL audio routed this way? Music, navigation, os noises, calls?

Cheers mate!