MKV 4.1 - Korean update does, Spanish update doesn't... what next for MCR?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

OK, so this is interesting.

I've flashed both the Spanish update and the Korean update to my device over the past day (both very new releases) and interestingly the Korean update plays 4.1 profile MKVs and the Spanish update doesn't! :P

This leaves me with a decision to make for MCR.next - do I continue basing it on euro updates or do I do a Korean update port?

The major downside of a Korean port is likely limited support for non English languages. Discuss...

P

Guest vestelar
OK, so this is interesting.

I've flashed both the Spanish update and the Korean update to my device over the past day (both very new releases) and interestingly the Korean update plays 4.1 profile MKVs and the Spanish update doesn't! :P

This leaves me with a decision to make for MCR.next - do I continue basing it on euro updates or do I do a Korean update port?

The major downside of a Korean port is likely limited support for non English languages. Discuss...

P

I'm spanish, for me, it's better with spanish language BUT I always prefer a feature or performance improvement instead of language translation

Guest darkhorse166

What's the technical limitation from bringing the 4.1p MKV playback support from the Korean version over to the Euro versions? Not too sure on the technical side of things (kernel-related? driver related? no idea :P) but it seems strange to me that it's not just a port of the video app or something.

Guest ageloskalp

I prefer the performance etc than the language support.

But i dont understand something.

Playing mkv files depends on baseband,kernel or an app with the proper codecs and hardware accelaration?

Maybe a noob question but i am in this world to learn!! :rolleyes:

Edit:I saw that darkhorse166 posted almost the same thing after i pressed "post reply" :P

Edited by ageloskalp

Guest reidar.ostrem

Only using English language anyway :P

But am using morelocale to change the locale to Norwegian. Guess this would be possible in the Korean ver.

Guest Paul
Only using English language anyway :P

But am using morelocale to change the locale to Norwegian. Guess this would be possible in the Korean ver.

No, the translations aren't there.

P

Guest soundsk

Well, I'm portuguese but only use UK english on my phones and computers. I'm used to it, so for me the MKV 4.1 is a great feature and much more important/relevant than language. But that's just my 2c.

Cheers!

Just hold your horses! :P

LG said the new firmware update would come by the end of this week. I DO NOT believe that the "new" Spanish firmware is this new firmware update from LG. The spanish update is V10C which also the name of the newest Euro Open firmware etc. Even though the build date is newer for the Spanish firmware. But I think this makes sense. As I see it the Euro Open firmware have higher priority than the spanish firmware. Therefore the later build date for the spanish firmware. I believe that the Euro Open V10C is equal with Spanish V10C.

Wait a week and see what LG delivers. I think the new Korean firmware update comes to Europe early next week (even though LG said by the end of this week to Engadget).

I think that makes sense. Don't you?

Guest wapz

is it hard to get the korean rom slighty modified so it would run on p990 properly? so it would be a preview to the euro p990 users?

i agree however that best is to wait for a proper euro release bow and not mess mcr up as it currently is.

Guest ermacwins
No, I am going to release a 'Korean ROM' for everyone to play with. :P

P

YOUR THE MAN!

So whats the dowside of the Korean Rom? Just kerenl meaning no ext4 and overclocking? Im sure many can live with that. Is it overall very smooth? cm nightlies are ticking me off and im coming back to mcr and I guess this will be perfect reason.

Any ETA?

Guest mirsadm

It should be possible to get mkv support on our roms by copying across the stagefright shared libraries from /system/lib

Guest LevelOne
No, I am going to release a 'Korean ROM' for everyone to play with. :P

P

To play, as in every-day-fully-working-bug-free ROM, or as in DEV play? :rolleyes:

Edited by LevelOne

Guest sibbor
It should be possible to get mkv support on our roms by copying across the stagefright shared libraries from /system/lib
I wonder this too. Should be doable.

Btw, most of us is probably using English. The same goes for me - Android phones, computers or any other tech device. Keyboard is all that matters and it exists on the Market.

That being said - I'd love to have proper MKV support. Portable media and emulator gaming unit with HDMI mirroring... Plain tech love.

Edited by sibbor

Guest yong hong
I wonder this too. Should be doable.

Btw, most of us is probably using English. The same goes for me - Android phones, computers or any other tech device. Keyboard is all that matters and it exists on the Market.

That being said - I'd love to have proper MKV support. Portable media and emulator gaming unit with HDMI mirroring... Plain tech love.

Having MKV support will really make life easier. No more video transcoding... IPS screen is pretty good for watching videos :P

Guest thla
Having MKV support will really make life easier. No more video transcoding... IPS screen is pretty good for watching videos :P

Tegra doesn't support the 4.1 High Profile anyway, so you'll end up having to re-encode the content anyway.

Guest Qwertymon
Tegra doesn't support the 4.1 High Profile anyway, so you'll end up having to re-encode the content anyway.

Native mkv codec support is nice though

Guest Paul

Not as yet, it looks like there are kernel changes for the Korean update! :P

P

Guest yong hong

Hmmm, I thought the Korean update is suppossed to bring MKV high profile 4.1 support at 720p?

Guest thla
Hmmm, I thought the Korean update is suppossed to bring MKV high profile 4.1 support at 720p?

I don't know what the update is supposed to bring, but i just know that the Tegra 2 chip doesn't support decoding high profile h.264 content according to the official technical specifications.

Guest theguv
I don't know what the update is supposed to bring, but i just know that the Tegra 2 chip doesn't support decoding high profile h.264 content according to the official technical specifications.

Where have you found official technical specifications? (I've been looking for those for ages!) Please link!

Paul has kind of confirmed that l4.1 content in mkv works in post 19 here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1704349