Bricked Orange San Francisco?

Guest terryblue

Guest terryblue

Hi

I'm new to Modaco and android phones

2 weeks ago I bought an Orange San Francisco and following the guides on this site I unlocked, rooted and debranded it. While I was working out if I could install a custom rom the following happened -

My wife bought a new orange phone (SE Zylo) to replace hers that she had lost.

As she had no contacts I put my OSF sim in her phone and copied our family contacts to it. When I put the sim back in my SF it froze at the Orange logo. I followed the recommended methods, I removed and replaced the battery, held vol+ and start buttons but it went thru' the android screen to the orange logo again. I tried the vol- and start buttons and it went to a screen displaying FTM.

I then connected it via USB but my PC only saw a removable drive which when clicked displayed "please insert removable drive into removable drive". This was repeated on different USB ports and on my PC at work.

Questions

1. Is my phone bricked

2. Can I do anything about it

3. Was this caused by putting my sim in the other phone

4. I would like to keep my number, but if I put the sim in a new OSF will the same happen

Thanks in advance for any advise anyone can give.

Guest flshg
Hi

I'm new to Modaco and android phones

2 weeks ago I bought an Orange San Francisco and following the guides on this site I unlocked, rooted and debranded it. While I was working out if I could install a custom rom the following happened -

My wife bought a new orange phone (SE Zylo) to replace hers that she had lost.

As she had no contacts I put my OSF sim in her phone and copied our family contacts to it. When I put the sim back in my SF it froze at the Orange logo. I followed the recommended methods, I removed and replaced the battery, held vol+ and start buttons but it went thru' the android screen to the orange logo again. I tried the vol- and start buttons and it went to a screen displaying FTM.

I then connected it via USB but my PC only saw a removable drive which when clicked displayed "please insert removable drive into removable drive". This was repeated on different USB ports and on my PC at work.

Questions

1. Is my phone bricked

2. Can I do anything about it

3. Was this caused by putting my sim in the other phone

4. I would like to keep my number, but if I put the sim in a new OSF will the same happen

Thanks in advance for any advise anyone can give.

My first thought is that there might be a problem with the microsd card, that perhaps in removing the sim/battery you 'disturbed' the microsd card. Try removing the card and replacing it (i think you need to move the sliding lock first). It could be a faulty card that has become apparent just now. Start the phone without the sim card, and without any other buttons pressed. If it works and connecting the phone to a pc via usb works ok, then power off, put the sim card back in, and test again.

Guest terryblue
My first thought is that there might be a problem with the microsd card, that perhaps in removing the sim/battery you 'disturbed' the microsd card. Try removing the card and replacing it (i think you need to move the sliding lock first). It could be a faulty card that has become apparent just now. Start the phone without the sim card, and without any other buttons pressed. If it works and connecting the phone to a pc via usb works ok, then power off, put the sim card back in, and test again.

Thanks for your reply - I have removed the memory card and refitted it and also copied the files onto a new card, but still the same

Guest terryblue
What about the sim card - does the phone work without a sim card and no buttons held on boot?

Have tried all permutations with sim card and msd card - all the same.

The only difference I've noticed today is under My Computer it is assigned Removable Disk Q: but under Device Manager it is listed under drives as ZTE Mass Storage USB drive

Guest flshg

I'm pretty much out of ideas on this one, hopefully one of the more experienced members will have an answer.

You could just return it to Orange, and explain that this happened after you removed the sim and replaced it (probably want to leave out mentioning the unlocking, rooting etc). It could be a hardware fault, just coincidence that it became apparent during removing sim card.

The only other option I can think of is to install a custom recovery image using fastboot. I've never done this myself but this link will have more info: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ll_Update_Guide

This step would be done anyway if you were putting on a custom rom. If you can then boot into recovery, then perform a factory reset, and see if that resolves the issue. Failing that, recovery mode can reflash a stock rom or custom rom. If you need help with this option, you're best posting in this subforum: http://android.modaco.com/category/488/zte...-customisation/

Edited by flshg

Guest terryblue
I'm pretty much out of ideas on this one, hopefully one of the more experienced members will have an answer.

You could just return it to Orange, and explain that this happened after you removed the sim and replaced it (probably want to leave out mentioning the unlocking, rooting etc). It could be a hardware fault, just coincidence that it became apparent during removing sim card.

The only other option I can think of is to install a custom recovery image using fastboot. I've never done this myself but this link will have more info: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?titl...ll_Update_Guide

This step would be done anyway if you were putting on a custom rom. If you can then boot into recovery, then perform a factory reset, and see if that resolves the issue. Failing that, recovery mode can reflash a stock rom or custom rom. If you need help with this option, you're best posting in this subforum: http://android.modaco.com/category/488/zte...-customisation/

Hi

Thanks for trying to help. It looks like a trip to Orange as I downloaded fastboot but as the PC doesn't see the phone neither does fastboot.