VegaComb CPU speed adjustment

Guest MikhailM

Guest MikhailM

I have eventually managed to install VegaComb 1.5.1 rom and then the 1.5.2 patch on my Advent Vega and now have Honeycomb on it.

But the Vega is now definitely slower, than under Froyo 2.2.

I have seen some references to adjustment of the CPU speed, but can't find how and where you can do it.

Does anyone know how it is done?

MikhailM

Guest HypoTurtle
I have eventually managed to install VegaComb 1.5.1 rom and then the 1.5.2 patch on my Advent Vega and now have Honeycomb on it.

But the Vega is now definitely slower, than under Froyo 2.2.

I have seen some references to adjustment of the CPU speed, but can't find how and where you can do it.

Does anyone know how it is done?

MikhailM

You clearly haven't read well enough, the option doesn't come built in with the ROM you need to downlowd SetCPU or CPU Master from the Market

Guest MikhailM
You clearly haven't read well enough, the option doesn't come built in with the ROM you need to downlowd SetCPU or CPU Master from the Market

No, I clearly did not understand that it was a separate application. Thanks for replying so quickly and putting me right. Installed SetCPU but do not see any speed improvement from adjusting the speed settings. VegaComb on my Vega seems to be quite stable, except for the known issues of no Flash or Camera.

Also the sensitivity of some of the edge buttons (back, home, last) is fairly low. The rest of the screen is ok.

Do you happen to know how to do a search in VegaComb? In Froyo themagnifing glass symbol worked but inVC it does not.

MikhailM

Guest Anton2k
No, I clearly did not understand that it was a separate application. Thanks for replying so quickly and putting me right. Installed SetCPU but do not see any speed improvement from adjusting the speed settings. VegaComb on my Vega seems to be quite stable, except for the known issues of no Flash or Camera.

Also the sensitivity of some of the edge buttons (back, home, last) is fairly low. The rest of the screen is ok.

Do you happen to know how to do a search in VegaComb? In Froyo themagnifing glass symbol worked but inVC it does not.

MikhailM

IMO vega comb will always be slower than froyo, period. It might get better but compared to the speed of Corvus5 running at 1.5ghz there is no competition. It will be hard for them to better corvus5 (froyo) with vegacomb(honeycomb).

:D

Guest Mark_L
IMO vega comb will always be slower than froyo, period. It might get better but compared to the speed of Corvus5 running at 1.5ghz there is no competition. It will be hard for them to better corvus5 (froyo) with vegacomb(honeycomb).

Vega comb is a beta, it will be a bit slower.its very early days for the rom.

I get the same freezes an lockups, seemingly almost randomly. Nothing helps ît, even setting the cpu to 1.5.

Interestingly though the longer my vega has been running with it on the smoother it seems to get, it was a nightmare at first.

Guest MikhailM
Vega comb is a beta, it will be a bit slower.its very early days for the rom.

I get the same freezes an lockups, seemingly almost randomly. Nothing helps ît, even setting the cpu to 1.5.

Interestingly though the longer my vega has been running with it on the smoother it seems to get, it was a nightmare at first.

Thank you, everyone, for replying. Let's hope they will improve it with further work.

I now realize I did not put my question clearly. I was asking whether anyone has the same problem in using the App search magnifying glass icon in Android Market when using VegaComb?

Is there another way to find an App by name, other than finding it via Google?

MikhailM.

Guest MikhailM

If you try Honeycomb on the Xoom, it is pretty fast, at least as fast as any Froyo build.

MikhailM

Guest Anton2k
If you try Honeycomb on the Xoom, it is pretty fast, at least as fast as any Froyo build.

MikhailM

Yea, xzooms cpu/gup is a slightly faster silicone chip than ours. Btw in reference to the problem you have with searching on the market i know exactly what ur on about, u can click in it to search etc, plug in a usb mouse if u got on and do it that way, other than that there is no way to search atm.

-anton.

Guest CrArC
Yea, xzooms cpu/gup is a slightly faster silicone chip than ours. Btw in reference to the problem you have with searching on the market i know exactly what ur on about, u can click in it to search etc, plug in a usb mouse if u got on and do it that way, other than that there is no way to search atm.

-anton.

Is it? I'm not sure it is. I thought the silicon was the same (albeit a different board design).

What's this stuff about searching the market? I can search the market just fine? Have I misunderstood the question?

Guest MikhailM
Is it? I'm not sure it is. I thought the silicon was the same (albeit a different board design).

What's this stuff about searching the market? I can search the market just fine? Have I misunderstood the question?

When you go to Android Market on the Vega with either Paul's r8 rom or Corvus 5 rom you get a Search icon, which looks like a magnifying lens (with a handle). With these roms, when you click on this icon, you get a text box in which you can type the app you are looking for, or the function the app does, and after clicking on Search, the Market application brings up all the apps, which match your enquiry.

Under VegaComb rom, when you open Android Market the page looks a lot prettier, but the Search Magnifying Lens icon does not respond. When you touch it, nothing happens. So how can one search for an app, using the app's name or discription of it's function?

I agree that the Tegra 2 chip is the same on the Vega and Xoom, which is why I made the comparison.

MikhailM.

Guest MikhailM

-anton.

Anton, I understand the nVidea Tegra 2 (aka Tegra 250) CPU chip is the same on the Vega and the Xoom, which is why I made the comparison. I accept your comment that the Xoom developers had the official Google code to work with and nVidea's support in adjusting Honeycomb for the Xoom as their full time job, while Newbe has to work with a leaked rom and invent workrounds in his spare time (for which we are all grateful) to make it work on the Vega.

So, thank you again, Newbe, hope you and the others have not given up on VegaComb and will fine tune it further.

MikhailM.

Guest premieral
When you go to Android Market on the Vega with either Paul's r8 rom or Corvus 5 rom you get a Search icon, which looks like a magnifying lens (with a handle). With these roms, when you click on this icon, you get a text box in which you can type the app you are looking for, or the function the app does, and after clicking on Search, the Market application brings up all the apps, which match your enquiry.

Under VegaComb rom, when you open Android Market the page looks a lot prettier, but the Search Magnifying Lens icon does not respond. When you touch it, nothing happens. So how can one search for an app, using the app's name or discription of it's function?

I agree that the Tegra 2 chip is the same on the Vega and Xoom, which is why I made the comparison.

MikhailM.

you have to touch quite hard to the right of the magnifying glass ( there is a hard to see text box there ) i am currently using vegacomb and search this way in market all the time

Guest MikhailM
you have to touch quite hard to the right of the magnifying glass ( there is a hard to see text box there ) i am currently using vegacomb and search this way in market all the time

Thank you, Premieral,

I tried to left and right, but perhaps not far enough or hard enough. Thank you ofr the advice. While I have your attention, do you find the VegaComb rather slow? Or is it just that I did not perhaps wipe data, cashe and all, before loading it.

And also, from some of the threads it seems that some people have managed to get Flash to work on Vegacomb. Is this correct?

MikhailM/

Guest premieral
Thank you, Premieral,

I tried to left and right, but perhaps not far enough or hard enough. Thank you ofr the advice. While I have your attention, do you find the VegaComb rather slow? Or is it just that I did not perhaps wipe data, cashe and all, before loading it.

And also, from some of the threads it seems that some people have managed to get Flash to work on Vegacomb. Is this correct?

MikhailM/

i can get you tube and that is all i cant even get flash to work in the browser really, i find it slower than corvus or cm7 but not slow as such Mikhail, the only time it was is because the cpu manager had frozen at 216 mhz and then it was very slow so i had to reboot, but otherwise it is speedy enough, certainly as fast as my ipad ( apologies for bad language ), however you do have to wipe date, cache and factory reset to get a clean install so try that before you load too many apps ;) i have a lot of apps and widgets running on mine and it is ok speed wise

Guest MikhailM
i can get you tube and that is all i cant even get flash to work in the browser really, i find it slower than corvus or cm7 but not slow as such Mikhail, the only time it was is because the cpu manager had frozen at 216 mhz and then it was very slow so i had to reboot, but otherwise it is speedy enough, certainly as fast as my ipad ( apologies for bad language ), however you do have to wipe date, cache and factory reset to get a clean install so try that before you load too many apps ;) i have a lot of apps and widgets running on mine and it is ok speed wise

Thank you for the answer. Even before getting your reply I did a clean install, wiping data and cache and re-installing. It does indeed run much better now, although still not as fast at Corvus 5, but pretty good overall. Once it was re-installed and I launched the Browser, it told me I did not have Flash 10.3 and allowed me to download and install it from the Market. The Flash now works within the standard Browser, but not in YouTube! Camera obviously does not work.

A question - when setting the top speed at 1500 MHz using SetCPU, is it advisable to leave the lower limit at 216?

Thanks,

MikhailM

Guest HypoTurtle
Thank you for the answer. Even before getting your reply I did a clean install, wiping data and cache and re-installing. It does indeed run much better now, although still not as fast at Corvus 5, but pretty good overall. Once it was re-installed and I launched the Browser, it told me I did not have Flash 10.3 and allowed me to download and install it from the Market. The Flash now works within the standard Browser, but not in YouTube! Camera obviously does not work.

A question - when setting the top speed at 1500 MHz using SetCPU, is it advisable to leave the lower limit at 216?

Thanks,

MikhailM

As primieral has already said some people have found an issue of the speed 'sticking' at 216 MHz especially after turning the screen on from sleep so it's advised to rise this a little - to 300-400 MHz . And only to use the max 1500 MHz if it is stable for you (1200-1300 may perform better).

In terms of flash working do you mean that you are getting flash videos fully working or just in full screen?

Guest MikhailM
As primieral has already said some people have found an issue of the speed 'sticking' at 216 MHz especially after turning the screen on from sleep so it's advised to rise this a little - to 300-400 MHz . And only to use the max 1500 MHz if it is stable for you (1200-1300 may perform better).

In terms of flash working do you mean that you are getting flash videos fully working or just in full screen?

Thanks for the reply, Hypo Turtle,

Comments on speed very helpful. The Flash was working both in small screen and full screen formats, but only when accessed via the Browser. At the moment I am abroad with a very poor WiFi link and can't re-test Flash reliably until I get back to the UK.

One more issue I found on VegaComb is that WiFi does not connect as quickly and does not re-connect automatically to a Remembered service the way it does in Corvus 5 (where with a good signal it connects authomatically vertually by the time you unlock the lock screen.

MikhailM.

Guest simonta

;)

Sorry, but this is simply not true. There seems to be a common misunderstanding in the way in which Android uses memory.

Android is not like a desktop operating system. In general, with a desktop operating system, more RAM equals better performance. With Android, this is not usually true. If you could bump a Vega to 1GB, you would not see any increase in performance. What you would find is that more applications would stay loaded and switching between apps would be faster. The reason is that a desktop OS will start using hard disk as overflow memory if there is not enough RAM for the OS and the applications you are trying to run. Using hard disk is, in computer terms, many times slower than using RAM. Therefore, not enough RAM to run the operating system and it's apps will slow everything down, sometimes to the point of being unusable.

Honeycomb needs a base level of RAM in the order of 95MB. You can verify this by running it in the SDK emulator and simply watching the RAM counters. Now on a real device, the usage will be higher as additional modules and drivers and perhaps background applications are loaded but it's going to get nowhere near 512MB. I'm guessing HC will run quite happily in 256MB but you might perceive slower performance because apps will get killed and reloaded more frequently.

When you close an app in Android, unlike on a desktop OS, the app is not necessarily unloaded. In fact, it's possible for the app to stay loaded until you power off. Android decides when an app is unloaded, not you! Even if an app has an exit button, Android still gets to choose. When you close or switch away from an app, it's pushed into the background where it uses no battery or CPU (unless it has notifications, scheduled updates etc). Android has a very efficient set of rules for deciding when an application should really be unloaded which is done only when more RAM is required to load new applications.

Read some of the white papers on Android memory usage to see why, for 99% of users, TaskKillers on Android usually cause reduced performance! Android runs best when your RAM is nearly full and it's left alone to manage itself! Again, Android is unlike Windows, Linux, MacOS and any other desktop OS I can think of.

Honeycomb will run just fine in 512MB. It will need tweaking to get those low memory killer rules correct, there's a discussion on this in the Vegacomb thread, but there is no reason whatsover that Honeycomb can't run, and perhaps even faster, on a Vega than Froyo or Gingerbread.

The current performance problems are not related to the amount of RAM on the Vega (actually, they might be if the low memory killer is not right yet but that can be fixed). It's mainly the lack of hardware acceleration. There will also be inefficiencies in drivers, modules and system apps which are not optimised for HC and without the source, it's likely to be impossible to fix those. My personal breath holding is for ICS, not HC.

Hope that helps...

Cheers

Simon

Edited by simonta

Guest MikhailM
Hope that helps...

Cheers

Simon

Thank you, Simon, it does. Is there any likelyhood of the source code being released?

MikhailM

Guest simonta
Thank you, Simon, it does. Is there any likelyhood of the source code being released?

MikhailM

Personally, I don't think, and I actually hope, that they will not release it! "Hope not" I hear you mutter, but why?

Well, HC is definitely a hack. It was produced quickly to give vendors something to stop the iPad taking over the world (particularly the Xoom) which would be a bad thing IMHO. The HC interface looks sweet on a tablet but sucks on a phone (pop over to XDA to see some HC for phone hacks) and Google don't want yet more bad press from people yacking about how bad HC is because they've hacked it onto a device it wasn't designed for or compiled from source. There is little they can do about the former but they can certainly keep hold of the code to stop the latter spreading like wildfire.

ICS is designed from the ground up to work on phones and tablets properly. A very visible example of this is that if run on a phone, it uses the good old familiar Froyo/GB style interface and on more capable devices, the all new HC style interface. You can even switch between them should you, for some reason, prefer one over the other. There are precious few details in public at the moment, but what is known that there will be significant changes to the APIs and framework to enable developers to produce apps for any device running Android, potentially even desktops and will do wonders to start to deal with the fragmentation problem which is one of the things stifling app development for Android. They will also likely introduce much more effective copy protection to help deal with rampant piracy which is the second big thing stifling app development.

So personally, I think they are doing the right thing by not releasing HC and releasing ICS instead. BTW, the really juicy release will be ICS 3.1 which merges Honeycomb stuff back into the main branch of Android development.

Check out this post for some of the love coming with ICS. I really get all moist with that face tracking stuff. Cool.

http://gizmodo.com/5800358/what-is-android...-cream-sandwich

BTW, possibly end of the year is the answer to your next question ;)

PS. I am a big fan of Newbe5 and Corvus and the work they are doing with Vegacomb and I absoutely root for them. In no way do I want to dampen anyone's bonfire, this is my personal read on how Android is going.

Edited by simonta

Guest MikhailM
Personally, I don't think, and I actually hope, that they will not release it! "Hope not" I hear you mutter, but why?

BTW, possibly end of the year is the answer to your next question ;)

PS. I am a big fan of Newbe5 and Corvus and the work they are doing with Vegacomb and I absoutely root for them. In no way do I want to dampen anyone's bonfire, this is my personal read on how Android is going.

Thank you again, Simon,

It is very good to recieve not only an informative reply, but a real treat to get written in proper Enlish, rather than misspelled forum speak.

If I may ask an additional question - how does one wire Dalviz using CWM to do a rom clean installation? When I re-boot into CWM Recovery it only offers mer Wide Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache. Or is this the dreaded Dalvig? (As you know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!).

Mikhail.

Guest mxbob
Thank you again, Simon,

It is very good to recieve not only an informative reply, but a real treat to get written in proper Enlish, rather than misspelled forum speak.

If I may ask an additional question - how does one wire Dalviz using CWM to do a rom clean installation? When I re-boot into CWM Recovery it only offers mer Wide Data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache. Or is this the dreaded Dalvig? (As you know, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!).

Mikhail.

wipe Dalvik cache is under the advanced section

sorry for the non properly written English and misspelled forum speak in this reply ;)

Guest premieral

sorry for the non properly written English and misspelled forum speak in this reply ;)

lol :P kind of ironic wasnt it

Guest MikhailM

Good Evening, Mxbob,

1) Thank you for the helpful and speedy reply.

2) Clearly you do not fall into the category I was commenting on.

3) Agree with Premieral that it is ironing - I should not hurry so and check my own typing before casting stones! Mia Calpa.

4) As a forum Newbie, I have not yet worked out what lol stands for. I assume you old hands do not all send "lots of love"?

Mikhail.

Guest premieral
Good Evening, Mxbob,

1) Thank you for the helpful and speedy reply.

2) Clearly you do not fall into the category I was commenting on.

3) Agree with Premieral that it is ironing - I should not hurry so and check my own typing before casting stones! Mia Calpa.

4) As a forum Newbie, I have not yet worked out what lol stands for. I assume you old hands do not all send "lots of love"?

Mikhail.

it is "laugh out loud" Mikhail and judging by your name even though your location flag is english i would hazard a guess you are not.

If that is the case me bad for poking fun at your attempts to write correctly in the previous posts when no matter what language i tried it would not appear as clear as yours did, my apologies ;)