Help with OSF/zte Blade recovery manager

Guest strugglerCoG

Guest strugglerCoG

Hi.

I was was trying to update my daughter's zte Blade/OSF using the instructions on a website (http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/how-to-install-custom-roms-android-2-2-from-scratch-on-the-orange-san-francisco-zte-blade/), and all was going well until I got the message "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.RecoveryManager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." .

I tried to follow the instructions included in the guide for this RecoveryManager problem; 'If you have already rooted your phone, root it again. Then from the app list on your phone, go to Settings -> Manage Applications -> Recovery Manager -> Clear data -> OK. Now turn off your phone and turn it on again. Launch Recovery Manager from the app list on your phone and follow from Step 32.'

However there was no 'clear data' option, only 'uninstall' or 'clear cache' - I clicked 'clear cache' , turned off phone, turned it on again and tried to launch Recovery Manager - now all I get is this message ' "The application Recovery Manager (process com.podtwo.RecoveryManager) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'

Have I knackered her phone? Is there any way to try and put it right or even put it back to how it was?

I'm in a spot of bother here and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Guest flshg

I'm guessing everything else is still working ok?

Use the MD5 tool on the recoveryM.apk file just to check that it isnt corrupt: MD5 5ad261036fb7d91713be4b2ea3bac453

If it is, try downloading it again from the same link.

Guest strugglerCoG
can you not use factory reset defaults. can you get in to main screen .

Thanks for replying. Yes, I can get into the main screen, but I don't know how to set factory defaults - or even if it would work.

Guest strugglerCoG
I'm guessing everything else is still working ok?

Use the MD5 tool on the recoveryM.apk file just to check that it isnt corrupt: MD5 5ad261036fb7d91713be4b2ea3bac453

If it is, try downloading it again from the same link.

Thanks for replying. I've used the MD5 thing to try and access the recovery manager and even after re-downloading it a couple of times it still comes up with that same message. Everything else seems to be working, but when I try to download clock.img from the sd card it fails to install and a message says it's unrecognised.

It does show the code 5ad261' etc exactly as you showed, so it's not corrupt.

Edited by strugglerCoG

Guest flshg

Try using the recovery manager from this link

Perhaps this version is newer than the one you have and will work better. Uninstall the old version of recovery manager. The newly downloaded version of recovery manager is a zip file which will need to be extracted first using es file explorer, then installed as usual.

Make sure your clock.img is named as that exactly i.e. no spaces anywhere in the filename.

Guest strugglerCoG
Try using the recovery manager from this link

Perhaps this version is newer than the one you have and will work better. Uninstall the old version of recovery manager. The newly downloaded version of recovery manager is a zip file which will need to be extracted first using es file explorer, then installed as usual.

Make sure your clock.img is named as that exactly i.e. no spaces anywhere in the filename.

Hi Flshg.

Went into ESF, Downloads, recovery manager.

Screen info (from the top line) is;

Recovery Manager,

©2011 Sebastian404,

http://android.podtwo.com/,

v0.34beta,

and at the bottom of the page it says; Currently Installed Recovery; Unrecognised

This 'unrecognised' , is it a problem, or a pointer to a problem?

Guest flshg

I doubt the 'unrecognised' is necessarily a problem, most likely you will be on the stock recovery.

Try what I suggested, uninstall your current 0.34b recovery manager, install the latest 0.36b version (which supposedly is better at recognising recovery images).

Then use it to install clockworkmod (clock.img)

You can also do an 'update database' in recovery manager as it might not yet know about your version of clockwork.

Edited by flshg

Guest strugglerCoG
Here's another link to a version of clockwork recovery: http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/archive...0.1.4-blade.img MD5: bbd06a7b00b26ebf114e4454378c87cf

This version usually works more reliably for some people.

BTW your phone is gen1 according to mr pigfish right? If it isnt, dont use the clockwork above.

Finally! I think it's gone thru at last. Got fed up trying everything else, downloading installing uninstalling reinstalling - just uninstalled everything I had installed from the begining of the process, went thru it all again, same negatives appeared, just ignored all of them, pressed on to the end - waheeey!!!! Swedish Spring is up and running.......and now for a nice relaxing cup of tea.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with ideas, esp' u FLSHG your info re the 'unrecognised' stuff started me thinking I should just ignore the negs and go for it. Thanks again everyone. :D