Dell Streak Turns One!

Guest coronet

Guest coronet

What a year it has been. It started on Donut, and for a long time we were in darkness. Then O2 leaked a 2.1 ROM (about the same time us in the states got the Streak), which was HORRIBLE (super-slow and full of bugs). Then Steve came around and perked things up, and after some time, he got 2.2 running. Eventually Dell also released 2.2, and did an OK job. In one year we've gotten an extremely stable 2.2, a 2.3 build, and Steve even got 3.0 running.

The Streak is still being sold as new here in the US (99$ w/ 2yr agreement) and now comes pre-loaded with 2.2. Dell has not officially stated plans to upgrade to 2.3. What's the story for you guys in the UK?

Given some of you have had this device for a year, what are your thoughts looking back? Has it been a good year overall? Anything you'd change for the next Streak? Would you get another 5" phone?

Guest coronet

I just want to add my thoughts about the phone. I don't think I'd get another 5" device. The Streak truly has an incredible screen, but 5" is just that bit too big for me. The design is altogether nice looking and fairly logical. It's been OK getting along with it other than perhaps the screen being admittedly a little too big in my opinion.

But the Streak and I started with a rough relationship. I went through four phones before my current one, all having problems within days of getting them. Most commonly was the "cracked LCD under the gorilla glass" problem, which is where internal parts pressed hard enough against the LCD that it shatters. That is, the user doesn't cause it, the Streak does. I guess they fixed this problem, since I haven't gotten it again. The last problem I had was the clips that kept the plastic edge tight around the glass came undone with no way to clip it back in. This misaligned the battery cover, which shuts off the phone when detected. Luckily Dell replaced this, but I do not think I'll be assured a sixth phone given how many I've had to send back to Dell.

Software was a poor start, too. 1.6 was horrendously out of date, and Dell's launcher was silly. Luckily 2.1 was available by the time we got it in the US, but the compromise was a hilariously buggy OS that sometimes took 30 seconds to do something as simple as unlock the screen. Soon enough users found fixes to O2's errors, making it somewhat more stable. Then third-party ROMs came out VIA DJ Steve, who really spruced up 2.1, and soon enough, figured out 2.2.

Today I am more content with the Streak. Had it not been for this community, I think I would have ditched this phone and it's poor initial software long ago. The Streak is starting to show it's age, but the community is still strong. I am content keeping this thing around another year when my contract expires. Given the rough traction to start I do not think I will get another Dell phone, but I hope this niche of "large screen phone" carries on. It's been a good year with you guys, and I hope to see many of you for another year longer!

Cheers!

Guest shi3ld

I originally went in to O2 to buy an iPhone, but this had just been released that week, I have never regretted it and I love the Google android OS. Its obvious from the build quality that Dell are used to making popular consumer electronics (It seems so much better quality than a Nokia for example).

As someone with large but slender hands I love the 5 inch screen and I find myself only using it in landscape, a qwerty keyboard on this size screen is just great!

I've dropped the phone a few times but it has been robust enough, It did once fall off a set of draws while charging and pulled the usb cable apart.

I found the 1.6 OS good and the OTA 2.1 and 2.2 from these foums were great, I'm currently using StreakDroid 1.9.0 and running Ubuntu on it and using a VPN to connect to the local host (using what id learnt from linux and backtrack4 to help get used to the inner workings of the liunx-esc OS). The large internal storage is very useful for downloading and also using for taking CAD drawings out of the office if I havent got a usb stick to hand (plus I use AndCAD and WifiFile Explorer). and I have never worried about space.

I agree, the community here seems very good, while a few of my colleagues at work have got the new iPhone4 White I still prefer this, I would possibly look at a 7 to 10 inch screen (I dont think I could ever go back to a "normal" phone). I can only hope they release a new one IF they don't I'd probably go to another half tablet phone such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Motorola xoom for my next upgrade (In about 6 months as was an 18month contract) but preferably one with more than a 1ghz processor (which seem to be the majority at the moment).

The only criticisms I have are

(1) The lack of 3rd party cases, accessories etc. I went in to the O2 shop one week after buying this, an advisor told me that there would be accessories in the following weeks, they had the labels printed etc..... these still do not exist in the O2 shop!! I bought an Otterbox from an american site at about £12 I think including postage!

(2) When I broke the USB cable as above, the replacement from dell was £32 inc delivery, not impressed, still cheaper than a new phone (but again a lack of 3rd party chargers)

(3) The speed of the internal SD card seems slower than it ought to be, I have not tried to replace it though.

When I show someone my phone and they say "Thats Big" I just reply "Thats what they always say"... never gets old!

Regards,

Shi3ld

Guest Azurren
I originally went in to O2 to buy an iPhone, but this had just been released that week, I have never regretted it and I love the Google android OS. Its obvious from the build quality that Dell are used to making popular consumer electronics (It seems so much better quality than a Nokia for example).

As someone with large but slender hands I love the 5 inch screen and I find myself only using it in landscape, a qwerty keyboard on this size screen is just great!

I've dropped the phone a few times but it has been robust enough, It did once fall off a set of draws while charging and pulled the usb cable apart.

I found the 1.6 OS good and the OTA 2.1 and 2.2 from these foums were great, I'm currently using StreakDroid 1.9.0 and running Ubuntu on it and using a VPN to connect to the local host (using what id learnt from linux and backtrack4 to help get used to the inner workings of the liunx-esc OS). The large internal storage is very useful for downloading and also using for taking CAD drawings out of the office if I havent got a usb stick to hand (plus I use AndCAD and WifiFile Explorer). and I have never worried about space.

I agree, the community here seems very good, while a few of my colleagues at work have got the new iPhone4 White I still prefer this, I would possibly look at a 7 to 10 inch screen (I dont think I could ever go back to a "normal" phone). I can only hope they release a new one IF they don't I'd probably go to another half tablet phone such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Motorola xoom for my next upgrade (In about 6 months as was an 18month contract) but preferably one with more than a 1ghz processor (which seem to be the majority at the moment).

The only criticisms I have are

(1) The lack of 3rd party cases, accessories etc. I went in to the O2 shop one week after buying this, an advisor told me that there would be accessories in the following weeks, they had the labels printed etc..... these still do not exist in the O2 shop!! I bought an Otterbox from an american site at about £12 I think including postage!

(2) When I broke the USB cable as above, the replacement from dell was £32 inc delivery, not impressed, still cheaper than a new phone (but again a lack of 3rd party chargers)

(3) The speed of the internal SD card seems slower than it ought to be, I have not tried to replace it though.

When I show someone my phone and they say "Thats Big" I just reply "Thats what they always say"... never gets old!

Regards,

Shi3ld

1) Ebay is saturated with cases, some batteries and charging docks (Yet there will never be a 3rd party HDMI dock :D)

2) Dealextreme has charging and sync cables for a few dollars (Quite recently so couldn't have helped you back then)

3) You won't see me gutting my streak, never really had problems with read / write speeds though (Then again am used to budget phones using apps2sd on budget SD cards)

Imo 5" is the best size for a tablet. Small enough to be used as a phone while large enough to display a full web page on its screen.

Plus this is the only truly portable tablet without having to carry a man-bag :D

Guest disco77

I can't remember a handset before the Streak that I haven't got bored with. I ve prodded it and modded it continually, with dj steves help of course, it just evolves with time. Sure theres been niggles, just makes the whole experience more immersive. My eyesight started failing rather rapidly this year (age), simples just upped the icon size and with 5" of real estate I dont have to get my glasses out everytime I look at my phone. When you get it out in public, all you Streakers know that you get admiration or more often, derision.......then I put tnt bad boy through it's paces and it's back to amazement. Who of you can go back to a "normal" handset? Not me.....Roll on Streak 2.

Guest marvin02

I have had my Streak for 6 months and it is the best phone I have ever had. I am currently running Android 2.2.2 (BB 351) and bought my Streak direct from Dell, unlocked.

I like the 5 inch screen and it has become my do everything mobile device. I use it as a music player (PowerAmp), book reader (both Nook and Kindle), portable email and internet browsing, and as my daily cell phone. I don't see a need to replace it any time soon.

Guest nystreak

While it hasn't been quite a year for me and my ATT streak I must say it has been a very enjoyable experience. I switched back in Aug from an iPhone 4 and havent regreted that decision for one second. I'm still on my original streak running DJ's 1.9. Oddly enough my wife's on her fourth iPhone 4 in that same span of time. As far as the form factor goes it does take some getting used to but the screen size was the single largest driving force in my purchase. I would absolutely buy a second generation 5" streak if they make one. Things I would be hoping for in a new one would be a dual core processor, higher res screen, 8mp camera, and maybe make it smaller overall. Also better support from Dell would be nice. I do not think I would have the same positive opinion if it weren't for DJ Steve's roms and getting froyo on it months before ATT did.

Guest coronet
2) Dealextreme has charging and sync cables for a few dollars (Quite recently so couldn't have helped you back then)

It's right here. DealExtreme ships from China or wherever, so just know it'll take a couple weeks to get to where you are. Looks like taking in account for exchange rate and bank fees, the cable will cost you all of three quid shipped.

Guest isitafox

I love my streak for browsing the web and all the available apps, can't beat a downloading movies and tv shows directly via the phone and then using it to watch rather than the painful download to pc then encode and transfer malarky. I don't think I'd go for such a big phone again though as due to the size I can't take it out with me on my bike for fear of it falling out my pocket and breaking so I reckon next time round it'll be something a bit more sensible, but I'll never have another iphone!!!

Guest spacecat46

Use it everyday for reading , browsing , music, movies the occasional game, photos, home vids and oh yeah making a few calls and texting

I coomute 1.5 hours to and from work this thing is a lifesaver

i could defo handle a 6 inch version though :D

Guest neil tring

I was looking to upgrade from my iPhone 3GS to the iPhone 4 and had been talking to a mate for ages who showed me the spec of the Streak. The more we talked the more i got into branching away from the iPhone so i took a leap of faith and got it.

My initial frustration was being an early adopter. Apps weren't that great, games etc were just ports. The 1.6 firmware was brilliant though, compared to eclair (2.1?) I cant remember names.

I had my iPhone jailbroken and like with my camera i decided to see if i could do the same with my streak (Also did it to my camera) And it took a fair few weeks of google searches and reading article after article of modding before i came upon Modaco. Since then i havent gone back. Bricked one Streak while flashing, and got it replaced within two weeks.

Overall the low points are the lack of support from Dell and the size. Yes its great size for a tablet but for a phone its not that great. Fits in my pocket but is a bitch to get out. Also it being in a tight pocket means when i try to unlock some of the screen isnt registering the finger movement. With the Otterbox case it makes it bigger, but feels nicer and like a tablet.

Thanks to Steve and his hardwork i have a phone that i enjoy (Apart from my current problem) And even now after a year of having my phone i still have people going "Wow whats that? Is that a phone".

I would still like a small phone to take out to pubs and clubs and use my Streak for day to day use.

With more support coming out the Dell Streak is a hidden gem in other Android and smartphone devices. Im glad i took that first step :D

Guest yosemite-sam

I got mine on launch day last year from O2. had teething problems like some, on my 3rd Streak and this one has been perfect. Never reboots itself and has been reliable for work use. I couldnt use a smaller screen for web browsing or remote access as comfortably as I can with the Streak.

I am still using the cloth case it came with and its looking as new as the day I got it. It sits in my home made stand when im inside or in my jacket pocket when im out. on a side note I did want to find out what data plans people have. I took the unlimited wifi and data plan with mine but noticed its not listted if someone gets a Streak from O2 now. Its only showing 1gb which seems very low to me.

Guest shi3ld
on a side note I did want to find out what data plans people have. I took the unlimited wifi and data plan with mine but noticed its not listted if someone gets a Streak from O2 now. Its only showing 1gb which seems very low to me.

I got the unlimited data also, but they have stopped doing the unlimted data offers a month or two after it came out

Guest gypsydigi

I picked up my dell streak a little over a year ago... Feb. or it was the first week of march... It was previously a developers phone and I managed to buy it. Having the phone for over a year, I have fell in love with this phone. At first I thought it was too big but over time I found this phone to be a perfect size. I thank dj steve for his excellent work. And without him and the forum this phone would have been kicked to the curb with my sony x10. I hate the x10

Now I am running streakdroid 1.9. 4gb Class10 internal sd and 32 class10 external sd. The inernal upgrade is a must for any streak owner. It makes it smoother for sure.

My most used apps include:

Winamp = music player

Vplayer = video player

Opera = browser

Root explorer = APK installer and text editor

light grid pro = live wallpap

Netflix (btw is runs like a dream)

The phone runs everything perfect. Overclocked to 1150mhz. I never get a random reboot or slow downs. The phone has now fully matured and is now rock stable. It has come along way since dells buggy 1.6 that it originally came with.

I hope they release a new dell streak in a 5" form factor.

The only draw backs I see are:

The large screen makes it easy to break the lcd. Ive broken my screen 4 times. Infact I just bought a new dell streak because my casing was showing signs of abuse. So I swapped the casing over but kept my internals. Dells lack updates but that is what this forum is for. The lower resolution of this screen... In a 5" form i'd expect the resolution to be better. Lack of hdmi out of the desktop. Output volume is low and the volboost hack doesnt do a pretty job so I dont use it. And the one thing I really miss and want is visual voicemail. That is the one and only feature of the iphone that I miss.

Anyways thats my 2 cents :D

Btw thanks again dj steve. If it wasnt for you I dont think id have my dell streak this long.