Actual Available RAM for HTC Sensation

Guest Rob Watson

Guest Rob Watson

The HTC Sensation says that it ships with 768MB of Ram, however when looking at either Android System Info or Task Manager it shows that the maximum available RAM is 558MB.

Now i am assuming that the difference between 768MB and 558MB (210MB) is used for the operating system, which i guess can be expected

The problem i have is that even with 558MB available and when i have killed every Application/Task that i can i only ever really have around 200MB available!

What is using this RAM is it Sense and/or other automated Tasks running in the background that you cannot kill?

I have noticed that some tasks that you kill (like the ridiculously annoying Vodafone 360) keep re-launching themselves. Is there anyway to permenantly disable these to free up more memory?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BengtBrutal

mines pending between 100-200mb available during idle/normal usage

total: 558 :/

Edited by BengtBrutal

Guest noktrnl

I think the 210~mb is saved for the Adreno 220 GPU processing. and the 558 for cpu usage.

I notice that after killing all tasks that i have about 150-200 mb free, leaving the 350-400mb(plus the other 210) being used at idle?

• 1 month later...
Guest BengtBrutal

since the latest update (2.3.4) I've gained +5mb memory? :P I now have a total of 563 instead of 558.

Also the available memory seems higher during idle (150-200) instead of 100-170

• 3 months later...

why dont u try miui? i got almost 400M ram,also,app restart issue can be solved by "autostarts",google it for more information

Edited by jjben

• 2 weeks later...

Free memory is wasted memory. Not using memory does not save you power, CPU cycles, bandwidth or anything else. In fact, the opposite is more likely - re-downloading a file or re-reading the SD does cost you more. Ideally Android uses every last byte of memory to maximize performance and user experience.

Try to take off the MS-DOS hat. Linux, Java and Android have all advanced quite a bit in terms of memory management.