29 replies to this topic

wolf89

wolf89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Devices:Vodafone 858 Smart
  • Twitter:@bk109

Hi guys, i have a question,have u realy tested yhison ahuawei 8160? because i can't even get mine rooted, and another thing, i've ead in the info about this mod and says that telephony will be broken - what does this mean? (i won't be able to make phone calls anymore?)

Pardon my bluntness,but if you're stumped by just rooting your device,you should reaaaaally stop messing with your device before you turn it into a 50+€ paperweight. That and you seriously messing up the terms just reinforces my previous statement,but let's take it from the top:
1 - This thing has been 'tested' on the Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160 insofar as plenty of people (myself included) used it with our devices to unlock their full potential
2 - This recovery image has absolutely nothing to do with the ROMs day-to-day life whatsoever,unless you frak-up the install and brick your device
2.5 - As far as I could tell from the rather odd mention of 'broken telephony' that you stumbled upon the very early ICS build that's been kindly done by subpsyke from MadTeam. As it's plainly stated - it's a T E S T build,so don't flash it until it's stable,which won't be anytime soon... Plus you can't flash it with this recovery
3 - Regarding rooting,Installing the recovery and flashing a ROM - Again,I really don't think that it's a good idea for you to do that until you're capable of at least rooting your device... And before you ask - there are guides even in the Vodafone Smart section here at MoDaCo + There's a thing called google,too...

LycoSs

LycoSs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Huawei U8160
Hi,
Thank you very much Sebastian404 for making this tutorial !
I have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on my Vodafone 858 (Huawei U8160) with fastboot method.
I would also ask: Can someone tell me what is the difference between theese two recovery images:
recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img and recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip ?

wolf89

wolf89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Hi,
Thank you very much Sebastian404 for making this tutorial !
I have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery on my Vodafone 858 (Huawei U8160) with fastboot method.
I would also ask: Can someone tell me what is the difference between theese two recovery images:
recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img and recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip ?

It's the same thing,they only differ by the way they are installed.The .img file is used either with Recovery Manager or if you install the thing via ADB/fastboot. The .zip on the other hand is used to upgrade a previous version of CWMRecovery.

LycoSs

LycoSs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you!
Also, i was wondering which one is the best recovery image from this link: http://android.podtw...hp?device=u8160 and why?

wolf89

wolf89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Thank you!
Also, i was wondering which one is the best recovery image from this link: http://android.podtw...hp?device=u8160 and why?

Don't mention it :) As for the recovery,to be honest,I've only used the CWMRecovery,so I'm kinda biased,but it's the one I'd recommend you to try both because it's easier to install/use and also because all ROMs I've seen for the Vodafone Smart required it to be installed (The only exception I saw was for subpsyke's test CM9 build that required his CWMRecovery build instead of seb's)

Edited by wolf89, 08 December 2011 - 05:10 PM.

LycoSs

LycoSs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
What is the difference between these recovery images: "recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip" and "recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img" ?And also what is the difference between subpsyke's recovery image and Sebastian404's recovery image ?Thank you for your answers!

wolf89

wolf89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

What is the difference between these recovery images: "recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160-update_signed.zip" and "recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5-u8160.img" ?And also what is the difference between subpsyke's recovery image and Sebastian404's recovery image ?Thank you for your answers!

Didn't I answer the first part of that question already :P ?

It's the same thing,they only differ by the way they are installed.The .img file is used either with Recovery Manager or if you install the thing via ADB/fastboot. The .zip on the other hand is used to upgrade a previous version of CWMRecovery.

As for the difference between the two is I thing the phone model descriptor and a couple of other differences that shouldn't be a problem up-to CM7,but if you decide to play with his CM9 Alphas,you'll need his recovery. The good news is that you can easily switch when the time comes by flashing the .zip with his recovery using the current one and just restarting the phone.

LycoSs

LycoSs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Didn't I answer the first part of that question already :P ?

yes, sorry, i thought one is signed and the other is unsigned and i just wanted to confirm if that is the case.

As for the difference between the two is I thing the phone model descriptor and a couple of other differences that shouldn't be a problem up-to CM7,but if you decide to play with his CM9 Alphas,you'll need his recovery. The good news is that you can easily switch when the time comes by flashing the .zip with his recovery using the current one and just restarting the phone.

I am using psyke recovery and i tried choosing "install from zip" and chose seb's recovery image zip but it didn't work, i don't know why it said: Installation aborted.
I will try again now..

Sebastian404

Sebastian404

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Devices:lots of them
  • Twitter:@sebastian404
Someone asked me about this, looking at the update script we have this:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "u8160" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "u8160" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "u8160" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "hwu8160" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "hwu8160" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "hwu8160");

and on a 'real' device...

getprop |grep "ro.product.board"
[ro.product.board]: [U8160]

more /system/build.prop |grep ro.product.board
ro.product.board=U8160

Deltim

Deltim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:Vodafone Smart
I have followed all the instructions and have gotten everything set up ok.However I cannot backup my current rom as the sd card will not mount for me when i reboot into recovery.I cant go any further ! Anyone help ???Thanks. P.S this is my first attempt at this kind of stuff !! Also some info: Phone is rooted ( superoneclick) , recovery manager installed and clockworkmod img flashed. Thanks.

Update: tried this recovery img instead...http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/recovery-RA-u8160-v2.3.img instead of clockworkmod img and this one was able to access the sd card and I made the backup !!

Edited by Deltim, 19 January 2012 - 09:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users