I just picked up my HTC Wildfire S

Guest todoleo

Guest todoleo

I've just picked up my HTC Wildfire S. My first impressions of the device are excellent.

The UI is responsive, the hardware feels good to hold and use and it looks good for an entry level Android device.

I'll update my blog later tonight with photo gallery and more detailed first impressions.

[update] The post is up on http://todoleo.com/

Edited by todoleo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest amtzone
I've just picked up my HTC Wildfire S. My first impressions of the device are excellent.

The UI is responsive, the hardware feels good to hold and use and it looks good for an entry level Android device.

I'll update my blog later tonight with photo gallery and more detailed first impressions.

[update] The post is up on http://todoleo.com/

hello mate....

so the android for wildfire s is 2.3.3?

can be rooted?

Guest xzyk
hello mate....

so the android for wildfire s is 2.3.3?

can be rooted?

Current (2ndJuly2011) status with the Wildfire S (Marvel) is that the bootloader is locked via S-ON bit flag.

Before you can root you need to reset to S-OFF. Only way to do this at the moment is via the XTC clip (the PAYG version will set you back some 20pounds for one unlock/S-OFF).

The other option (still under development) is via AlphaRevX -go to 'alpharev.nl/x/beta/' (put the http:// in front). An AlphaRevX solution for the Marvel is currently under development, but as of today is still not available and there is no guarantee it ever will be.

The only other option is if HTC do an OTA to S-OFF the bootloader, but again I'm not too hopeful.

The above is the reason that if you search (here or on the other xda forum) you will not discover any custom roms yet (I think there is only one currently and that requires root).

Debranding is possible via a goldcard option, but why would anyone want to go through that process if you still end up with S-ON and therefore unable to root ?

I bought this phone cause i like android and wanted to try HTC. I'm happy with it (considering what i paid) but am somewhat frustrated that i cannot customize, unlike my SF which can be made to stand on its head and do a dance for you. I have no idea why manufacturers, like HTC, do stupid things like this. Once you make development by the general community difficult all you achieve is that customers will vote with their feet and buy something else. For example, if someone asked me which android phone to buy, how can i recommend the wildfire S ? I appreciate some (perhaps the majority) do not want to ever do any customization, but what if you did ? It is always nice to have the option.

Edited by xzyk

Guest todoleo

I haven't felt the need to root the Wildfire S, but until HTC unlock the bootloader it will be very difficult.

For now Gingerbread is more than enough, but I have my eye on an Orange Monte Carlo (ZTE Skate) just to see how easily it will be rooted and customised.