Photo

A quick specs poll...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Andypad Poll (149 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you feel about buying an Andypad?

1. I plan to buy an Andypad regardless of specs (7 votes [4.79%])

Percentage of vote: 4.79%

2. I will not buy an Andypad unless it has a capacitive screen (16 votes [10.96%])

Percentage of vote: 10.96%

3. I will not buy an Andypad unless it has 512MB RAM (5 votes [3.42%])

Percentage of vote: 3.42%

4. I will not buy an Andypad unless it has both of the above (118 votes [80.82%])

Percentage of vote: 80.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote

David Mc0

David Mc0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Devices:Motorola V3X
Adding a capacitive screen would give it an advantage against the MiScroll that has just been announced: http://www.storageop...scroll/miscroll

I think there must be a bit of demand at the budget end of the market, but for those more toward power users, a £129 tablet is unlikely to hit the spot.

I really hope Andypad do well, but in the already overcrowded Android tablet market, it won't be easy. It seems they're trying to differentiate themselves from other tablets by focusing on a good 'out of the box' software experience with competent hardware, which probably is the best option at the moment.

Looking forward to final specs and review units - and I hope they're not scared to stick the price up by £20 to achieve competent hardware if they need to (or do multiple versions).

minty1978

minty1978

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets!!!!
  • Devices:HTC Hero G2
  • Twitter:@mintymurray
Great news...no HoneyComb...but there will be ice cream :P

@AndyPadUK
@mintymurray We're holding off HC in favour of Ice Cream Sandwich in a few months ;)

HTC Hero: MoDaCo MCR 3.2b5 Custom Bake
HTC Dream: Google IONr2 - Long gone

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,654 posts
So AndyPad revealed some specs on it's website:

Attached File  andypad.jpg   61.84KB   13 downloads

Let me say that I don't have any inside information on this project so take this with a pinch of salt... but I expect the CPU to be a Rockchip RK2918 SoC. This is a 1.2GHz A8 Cortex with Neon instructions, 512MB cache and high performance 2D/3D. Also has native 1080P decoding so it fits with the information in the AndyPad image above.

Now before anybody says "But Rockchip are bad", they are a huge OEM manufacturer of licensed ARM cores and they are comparable with chips from other providers. If the AndyPad does contain this SoC then this is going to be a fantastic device.

Remember, this is speculation and not confirmed or denied by AndyPad but I believe this to be the most logical chip they are using ;)

philicibine

philicibine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:X1i
Hello all...

I'm not a regular poster here.. but thought I should add my two pence worth!

A cheap tablet is what the market needs.. and if its of a good build quality.. and reasonable specs.. then this should be worth getting! (I answered buying whatever the specs btw). (Local norwich resident too)

This will appeal to those that like the ipads, xooms, transformers etc of this world. But cannot justify the massive outlay for one. 129 quids, is not a massive outlay for anyone.

Also.. the fact they have confirmed unlockable bootloaders is great! What's next?? Cyanogenmod running on it from release??? Or maybe there's a retail modaco custom rom in the works??? (Both massive peices of awesomeness!)

Did you mention doing a rom for them in your meeting Paul?? One is hoping so!

All of this... will make this device a success. In my opinion.. and the fact its coming from a very brave entrepeneur.. who lives local to me.. is enough to convince me to have one for me.

I will however be first in line... before all of you peeps.. to get the higher spec version.. when / if they release one!

Well done Mr Kerry! ... hope it goes to plan for you!

aaww

aaww

InfoSec Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:- Information Security
    - Android
    - Wild life
    - Adrenalin
  • Devices:Xperia Z2 / Nexus4
  • Twitter:@AlbertAltman
I would buy one for sure if....
- Battery life will be decent (6-7 hours)
- Good quality capacitive screen that is bright enough outside.
- Has at least 712mb of ram.

not mandatory.
* Will have an option for 3g modem (I do have myfi)
* Will be upgradable to Honeycomb

I would pay considerably more then 129 gbp for all of the above.

Edited by aaww, 17 June 2011 - 08:15 PM.

Ran Sagy

Ran Sagy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I have one of the chinese android tablets called the Herotab C8 (or Dropad A8, or Haipad M7, etc).
It's a 1.0Ghz Cortex A8 Samsung S5PV210 SoC (Like in the Galaxy S/Tab), 7" capacitive touchscreen @ 800x480, 512MB RAM, with some small amount of NAND (128-256MB) and two SD cards, internal (usually at 4GB) and external.
It has mini HDMI and USB (including OTG) support, aside from that.

I bought it for the same amount that AndyPad are publishing.
What can AndyPad improve on that? Screen res is really the biggest downer (1024x768 would be great), And possibly GPS or BT chips.

I'd really love to see source code for the kernel etc given as well, To allow modifications, of course.
All in all, Somewhat promising ;)

Edited by Ran Sagy, 17 June 2011 - 08:53 PM.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Devices:Xperia Play / Xoom / ZTE Blade
I wouldn't buy it without GPS (external bluetooth or whatever is not an option).

(Only reason I can think for using a tablet is big screen offline mapping).

Capacitive is a must but ram less so really (Only got the single use case for a tablet).

screwface

screwface

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Weight and battery life is what i'm waiting on to be released.

gadgetshop

gadgetshop

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:HTC ONE
  • Twitter:@seanicca

If this thing has 512mb of RAM and a Capacitive screen, I will most likely be buying one for my daughter. Without these, unfortunately it falls short. The RAM isn't as important, but the screen is essential IMO.

newbe5

Snap, I.m happy with my Vega but kids want tablets for Xmas and this looks tempting

Sere83

Sere83

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
Delete comment, posted in other more recent thread

Edited by Sere83, 25 July 2011 - 10:56 PM.

phil8715

phil8715

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Interests:Mobile phones, mobile phones & mobile phones, football,playing snooker, watching poker, listening to music, reading & travel.

Rooting and modding phones.
  • Devices:SG Note N7000, Huawei G300
  • Twitter:@philtheclaret
I own a Vega and seems to have a battery fault, when it gets around 60% and I switch it off, Then when I switch it back on and the battery has dropped from 60% down to 23% while switched off.

Does anybody know if the AndyPad is Adobe flash compatible?

Might get one if it is. It sounds more future proof than the Vega.

Edited by phil8715, 04 August 2011 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users