Copy Cut The Rope game progress from free to paid (requires ADB and root)

Guest PaulOBrien

Just a quick post on how to copy game progress from Cut The Rope free to the paid version! Requires ADB and root.

First of all, run the game and complete a level, exit, then do this...

adb shell ls -l /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml
which will produce something like this...
-rw-rw---- app_437  app_437	 19853 2011-06-30 19:06 CtrAppPaid.xml
...note the 'app' number (437), we'll use this in the next step. Now do this...
adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr/shared_prefs/CtrApp.xml /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml && adb shell chown 10437:10437 /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/*
...substituting 10437 with 10 then your app number from the step above. That's it, you should be all done! :) Local achievements etc. seem to be stored in a databases subdirectory, so you could do...
adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr/databases/* /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/databases/ && adb shell chown 10437:10437 /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/databases/*
...if you want to get those too, and scoreloop achievements by doing the following...
adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr/shared_prefs/com.scoreloop* /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/ && adb shell chown 10437:10437 /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/*

Cheers! :rolleyes:

P

Guest Paul

Here's something else that's quite cool... i've moved the scores file (CtrAppPaid.xml) to my /sdcard and symlinked it from the original directory...

adb shell mkdir -p /sdcard/scores/ctr/ && adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml /sdcard/scores/ctr/ && adb shell rm /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml && adb shell ln -s /sdcard/scores/ctr/CtrAppPaid.xml /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml

...which allows me to sync my scores around multiple devices using Dropbox or whatever else I fancy. :)

P

Guest angel12
Here's something else that's quite cool... i've moved the scores file (CtrAppPaid.xml) to my /sdcard and symlinked it from the original directory...

adb shell mkdir -p /sdcard/scores/ctr/ && adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml /sdcard/scores/ctr/ && adb shell rm /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml && adb shell ln -s /sdcard/scores/ctr/CtrAppPaid.xml /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml

...which allows me to sync my scores around multiple devices using Dropbox or whatever else I fancy. :)

P

now do this with other games, like battleheart :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ens04

is this possible saving the game progress without using adb?

is it possible using root explorer by moving save data?

Edit: Nevermind, I actually followed your steps, and found out it was much easier just doing it the way you described it.

Thank you so much, for saving me a lot of time redoing all my levels again. I now will start off where I last left off.

Edited by ens04

• 2 months later...

Hello there.

I completed Cut The Rope using the getjar free (with ads) version.

However, I ended up purchasing the paid version from the Android Market, but my progress aren't kept anymore.

I read this topic, but it's outdated and doesn't work anymore

Is there a way to move save files from the free to the paid version? THanks!

Guest Karucifer

Taking a look for you now :-)

Edit: confirmed still to be working between the getjar copy and the latest version (1.1.1) downloaded from the Android market this morning.

Did you copy the whole line above:

adb shell cp /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr/shared_prefs/CtrApp.xml /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml && adb shell chown 10360:10360 /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/*

and amend the numbers to match your installation? It will be unique to each device, if set incorrectly your game won't be able to access the xml file at all!

Feel free to post the steps you took below and I'll try to help.

Regards,

Karu

Hello and thanks for replying. Actually I didn't use ADB, I directly tried it with Terminal Emulator, and CtrApp.xml was nowhere to be found. I don't seem to be the only one with this problem though (as I googled it before :P)

I guess if I can't find the file with Root Explorer, for example, this method wouldn't work, right?

Thanks in advance

Guest Karucifer

Sorry, I've tested the above with neither, the guide presumes you're rooted and using adb.

ymmv with different tools, but I've successfully verified the file exists when you follow our guide.

Regards,

Karu

Inside my /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr/ I only find "databases" "files" "lib" and therefore I cannot access shared_prefs/CtrApp.xml :(

The same with ".paid"

Thanks for replying!

EDIT: I just installed ADB, and tried with that method:

adb shell ls -l /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml

/data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/CtrAppPaid.xml: No such file or di

rectory

Edited by JinRoh

Guest Epocrates

P

Did you have the issue of the symlink being deleted and a new CtrAppPaid.xml being put in the /data/data/com.zeptolab.ctr.paid/shared_prefs/ folder? I can create the symlink, but once I make any progress in the game, the symlink is deleted and it just makes the file in the shared_prefs folder and uses that one.

• 3 months later...
Guest BoyWond3r

Thanks for this thread. I hope i can find it helpful.

I've followed the steps and everything takes or seems to but the results are not what they should be. Can you verify if this still works? Im using A DesireZ that is rooted. I have all the files and the commands work with no errors. Afterwards, I start the full version of Cut the Rope and the data didnt transfer. Can you tell me if this is still valid?

• 1 month later...
Guest calfman

Thanks so much for this guide! With this info I was able to move my game progress from the free to the paid version using Root Explorer. This has a "Change owner" function when long-pressing a file. So after copying and renaming all the files mentioned in the first post I just updated the owner information using that function. Worked like a charm! And I learned a little bit about the Android file system... :-)