ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) list of things that drain battery

Guest snowbord

Guest snowbord

Totally agree. Battery life has been amazing - unlike that of any other rom. No OS bug, hence the phone actually sleeps. It is also very feature complete. Used it during the day on and off and still had 80% battery life at the end! Unheard of in Swedish Spring etc. I can see myself getting 3-4 days' (light) use out of it. Result!

TBH Ginger stir fry is the best balance of speed, battery life and looks.

Edited by snowbord

Guest insurgente

hmmm, i feel like i'm actually getting LESS battery life with Ginger Stir Fry... think I'll go through this thread again and try and reduce my power consumption

I would take your post with a pinch of salt, there are some tweaks that can be made to improve battery life, certain apps will improve battery life.

1 - setting polling values from every 15secs to 60secs is a good example of this.

2 - using apps that kill apps every so often, when sleeping the phone, etc.

Now extending polling settings to a point were the phone wont behave as you want quickly enough, more likely to timeout.

And an app that kills apps end up polling so often it uses the same power up as the apps that would have been running in memory.

Now having read a little on how apps function most apps take power when loading and closing from the memory, having an app sat in memory will not actually decrease the battery, what it does in memory will. So if you have an app that say polls the weather, etc then of course that will have a detrimental effect on the battery, now increasing the poll time from 15mins to 1 hour will decrease its battery usage by 4 times, now I think the point here is not nessecarilty closing apps that are loaded into memory but making sure polling within the apps is changed to reduce calls on battery usage.

There are apps out there that will do this for you.

but from experience the main culprits are this.

3G

Wifi

GPS

You are entitled to your opinion, like everyone, but, I'm afraid the laws of physics apply to us all.

All that one can do is reduce usage.

The battery must be charged constantly and as often as possible and then when you take it off charge you will have as much power as it can hold for your use. That is the only way to maximise battery performance.

Everything else is usage reduction, which as I said previously negates the point of having a smartphone.

You can try all you like with apps and tweaks, it will allways come back to personal usage.

Just make sure you charged it properly to start with.

Guest yellowperil

You are entitled to your opinion, like everyone, but, I'm afraid the laws of physics apply to us all.

All that one can do is reduce usage.

The battery must be charged constantly and as often as possible and then when you take it off charge you will have as much power as it can hold for your use. That is the only way to maximise battery performance.

Everything else is usage reduction, which as I said previously negates the point of having a smartphone.

You can try all you like with apps and tweaks, it will allways come back to personal usage.

Just make sure you charged it properly to start with.

Usage is the thing we do between the phone lying in a dormant state. Cutting down on whats running in memory whilst its in this dormant state is the key here.

I agree that most people will get the same usage out of a battery when they are using it, but its the down times between using the phone, whilst its in your pocket, etc.

I think this why why most companies say 8 hours talk time / 36 hours standby time.

I do believe most people in this thread are interested in battery life details with and without usage wouldn't you agree.

A good example of extending your battery life is to use 2g only and switch 3g on when you need it, this would overall increase your battery life for both usage and non usage of the device.

Basically you reduce the battery whilst the device is not being actively used. Saying the usage is the same no matter what is only comparable if you use the phone constantly and not take into consideration that most phones will spend the majority of there day in a unused state.

• 1 month later...
Guest red321z

Rather an old ( but usefull ) thread.

Just wanted to add that I have found that my Network provider, BTMobile which is a virtual provider using Vodafone network in the UK, for some ( yet to be determined) reason causes my blade to keep waking from deep sleep in 2G mode. Even though 2G has a stronger signal, the wakes use more power than 2G saves. This is a network / SIM thing, nothing to do with phone settings. Orange SIM / Network for instance doesn't exhibit this behavior. So worth checking 2G is actually saving you battery.