VegaComb Test43-RC3

Guest xathras

Guest Yogimax

is anybody else getting a server error when tryin 2 access the market??

n if so, how do i get around it??

Make sure your date and time are correct - they get lost when you reboot.

Guest premieral

Brightness has been the big problem for me. My screen starts to flicker at high brightness. I knew that from the beginning but didn't want to return my vega as the developers were working at an amazing pace :) The brightness

seems to be set to high by default in this rom and there is no way of changing it. This causes my screen to flicker constantly making the rom unusable as of now.

It would be great if the brightness control was restored. Thanks.

have you tried one of the brightness widgets free from market?

Guest xathras

My observations after a few hour's use (nothing that hasn't been reported already).

Booting

No problems with booting. With VegaComb1.7 the launcher FC'd most of the time, gallery FC'd all the time and wifi sometimes started automatically and sometimes not. With this build no launcher or other FCs on boot and wifi auto starts all the time. I've posted the output of dmesg as a text file (below).

Stability

I switched it on again before going to bed and started BBC News Channel fullscreen in tvcatchup. Nine hours later it was still playing fine. No lockups so far. However, my live wallpaper (Bubble Live Wallpaper - from the market) shows large changes in the speed of the bubbles all the time. In VegaComb1.7 the bubbles rise smoothly and slowly with only small changes in the speed when the CPU is under heavy load. Also I noticed that the strap line at the bottom of the BBC News Channel moves smoothly for a few seconds and then stutters for a few seconds. It keeps cycling between smooth and jerky.

Sound

Don't try it full volume - you will destroy your speakers! Played through a conventional amp and speakers the quality is good.

Brightness

Cannot change screen brightness.

SD card

The apps that I've tried that see the card as mounted and work correctly are :-

SystemPanel Lite. SystemPanel -> Menu -> Monitor shows the sdcard and correctly reports the amount of free space.

File Manager (the stock file manager).

Rock Player. Navigate to my movies folder with File Manger and start file with press on file name. Only tested with avi files.

Stock Music app. Navigate to my music folder with File Manager and start file with press on file name. Plays mp3 and flac files.

FBreader. Can open a book by navigating from within FBreader or with File Manager.

QuickPic finds all my pics.

The apps that I've tried that produce sdcard errors are :-

Root Explorer. Says; "The SD card is not currently mounted."

Aldiko. From within Aldiko home, if I press on SD card it correctly shows all the folders and books on the SD card, but when I try to open a book it puts up an SD card error box that says; "Please make sure your SD card is present and that your device is not in USB Storage mode."

Mobo Player. When I start it it says; "There's no SD Card, make sure it is usable."

Link2SD. Says; "Second partition not found. No SD card present."

Settings

Settings -> About tablet -> Legal Information. See the two jpegs below. Acer won't be happy and displaying the certification logo is an offence. Try to get rid of them before our litigious friends across the pond see them.

Overall

I hate it when people use words like "awesome" and "outstanding", so let's just say that I'm seriously impressed, and all the more so if you had to use 128mb as video ram (if I remember your video right). As things stand now I can browse, email, read books, listen to music, and watch films and TV. Two six-packs are headed your way.:D

dmesg.txt

post-797214-0-11353900-1312378847_thumb.

post-797214-0-56473700-1312378868_thumb.

Guest Mouli

Glad to test it! Flash is good. I found 2 problem: 1. gsensor is unuseful. 2. the reboot function is failure

They have been mentioned as not working in the original post.

Guest add.thebad

works nicely, very smooth and glad that badword anoying slowwwww screen off animation has finally gone! dont like the new buttons tho

Guest phil8715

works nicely, very smooth and glad that badword anoying slowwwww screen off animation has finally gone! dont like the new buttons tho

I have only seen the posting about the speaker issue.

When I flashed mine I could smell a faint electrical burning smell. I thought my netbook had blown up, I fired my Vega up tonight and I started to watch a programme on C5 on Demand I could smell the burning again.

I've decided I'm flash back to R8, if it hasn't damaged the device. I was able to switch on and off.

Guest WWEpsp

I've installed and its working great for me, NO force closes or any freeze. Just 1 day with it and its a lot better than 1.7 LOL

By the way, i managed to solve sleeping problem. If you press the power button quickly it will sleep, but if you pressed for 2 seconds or even 1 second it will open the power off menu. When waking up de device just press the button as always and wait a second, im very impressed the way it recovers the speed...

Guest WWEpsp

I've installed and its working great for me, NO force closes or any freeze. Just 1 day with it and its a lot better than 1.7 LOL

By the way, i managed to solve sleeping problem. If you press the power button quickly it will sleep, but if you pressed for 2 seconds or even 1 second it will open the power off menu. When waking up de device just press the button as always and wait a second, im very impressed the way it recovers the speed...

now on day 2, i've experimented some resets.

1- i was browsing and then went to megavideo to see big bang theory, to test the speakers. Suddenly vegacomb boot animation appeared :o

2- I woke up, turn on my tablet, uninstalled Riptide because it was a accelerometer game, and it took me to the boot animation LOL but it get uninstalled

Guest zzleezz

Installed Clocksync from the market and that sorted the clock resetting problem for me, set it to sync on boot. Tom is amazing and now my daily use rom .

Guest Quipeace

Amazing improvement over 1.7, incredible work! No lags whatsoever! Couple of extras as well. Time spend in each frequency visible and lots of governors (I love interactive on my SGS!). Did I mention it's so smoooooth?

One annoying bug however, after having a portriat only application open (I think) the tablet won't switch back because of the broken sensor :/. Managed to get it back to landscape from the es file explorer's menuoptions :).

Guest newbe5

Test 44 has now been pulled due to fears it may be damaging some (a very small number) of peoples speakers. I can't take the risk that this may affect more people, so for now please take EXTRA care if you are using this build!

newbe5

Guest Minimonkey

Test 44 has now been pulled due to fears it may be damaging some (a very small number) of peoples speakers. I can't take the risk that this may affect more people, so for now please take EXTRA care if you are using this build!

newbe5

Woops.... add mine to the list, left speaker crackling :(

Guest newbe5

Urgh balls, what a mess. Very sorry to anyone affected by this. My recommendation for now would be to leave volume muted if you are using this ROM, or switch back to VC1.7 or Corvus5 for now. this issue will hopefully be fixed soon! :)

newbe5

Guest premieral

Urgh balls, what a mess. Very sorry to anyone affected by this. My recommendation for now would be to leave volume muted if you are using this ROM, or switch back to VC1.7 or Corvus5 for now. this issue will hopefully be fixed soon! :)

newbe5

even great chefs cant make omelettes without breaking eggs, still very much appreciate all you and the team are doing for the vega, thank you

Guest phil8715

I could smell burning on mine. I've taken mine into PC World, and after much wrangling it is off to be looked at.

Just hope it doesn't back with No fault found.

Guest dumbo11

I also have a "burnt" speaker - weirdly I had the sound turned off, I tried installing the updated market apk and then rebooted as the vega got a bit confused (didn't seem to work).

During that reboot the metal cover at the bottom-right became exceptionally hot, and a tiny bit of nasty smelling smoke came out.

Anyway, no biggy as I rarely the speakers anyway, and oddly the left speaker seems to work fine.

(I think it was rebooting, but I may have shutdown instead).

Guest Minimonkey

I could smell burning on mine. I've taken mine into PC World, and after much wrangling it is off to be looked at.

Just hope it doesn't back with No fault found.

Mines going on a trip too..... :-( just booked mine in over the phone only took a few mins and they will collect on Tuesday and "return ten days later"

Let's hope they send a vega 2 by accident :-)

Guest phil8715

Mines going on a trip too..... :-( just booked mine in over the phone only took a few mins and they will collect on Tuesday and "return ten days later"

Let's hope they send a vega 2 by accident :-)

You can dream lol.

I am no hurry for mine, I'm going away for a few days next week, then in 2 weeks I am off to Ireland would be good if it back before then, if its not fair enough.

Guest Minimonkey

You can dream lol.

I am no hurry for mine, I'm going away for a few days next week, then in 2 weeks I am off to Ireland would be good if it back before then, if its not fair enough.

:-) I will chase them daily :-)