hannspad v vega

Guest goldenbolux

Guest goldenbolux

i have a vega running corvus rom

how do the 2 compare

i like the fact that i can plug my hard drive into my vega to watch films anywhere

is this possible at all with the hannspad

how do the 2 compare

thanks for any advice

Guest Grexeo

The major differences are:

- Hannspad (53 version) has a much better screen than the Vega.

- Vega has a camera whereas the Hannspad does not.

- The Hannspad has 16GB storage built-in whereas the vega has none. (Although the Vega includes a 4GB microSD card)

Edited by Grexeo

Guest starman0147

Anyother got their hands on both so they could do a short comparison?

I take it that the vega is still the one to beat given the honeycomb option?

Edited by starman0147

• 4 weeks later...
Guest baldrick2011

I would also like to hear views comparing the two tablets. I'm in the market for one in the near future. The Ebuyer ebay deal on the refurbed Vegas for £140 is attractive and I could afford that now, it seems especially good given how cool and well sorted Vegacomb is now.

I know that there is a honeycomb rom in development for the hannspree but that could take a long time to become as polished as the R8.1 version of Vegacomb so the trade off is internal storage (and a nicer overall styling IMHO) against a pretty damn impressive solution today.

Anyone out there able to describe the difference in screen quality if I were doing a side by side comparison between the two? And if it were a Vega to a "33" would it be less noticeable (cuz with ebuyer's Hanspree deals it seems to be pot-luck what model you get).

And anyone lucky enough to be able to compare either to an HP Touchpad? I have relatives in the States primed to grab me a Touchpad if the promised "further production run" ever materialises. According to all the reviews it has a brilliant screen, but is the GPU ever likely to offer any hardware acceleration under Android? It seems powerful but Tegra support is limited so what chance any HD games that will use any of its potential?

Lots of second guessing and crystal ball gazing I know, but any advice gratefully received.

Well, I was one caught up in the eBuyer Hannspad "Buy the latest, model and we'll send you the old one" scam. I'm still waiting for my replacement. and knowing eBuyer, that won't be sent quickly, either.

But while the Vega has the latest working Rom, it also has no internal memory. The Hannspad HAS. There is finally, people working on getting Hannspad an Android 3 ROM along with the improving Hannspad Hannstitan. Pays yer money, takes yer choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SteelPriest

I had the same dilemma a few days ago and solved it by going into some shops to look at them.

My first choice was the Vega, before I'd even heard of the Hannspad. As soon as i saw it though, I was disappointed. It has a massive ugly bezel, and the screen is seriously dull, lacking in brightness/contrast.

After that experience in PC world i didn't have much hope for the Hannspad (in carphone warehouse), but i was pleasantly surprised. The Hannspad is almost all screen, as a tablet should be, and the screen itself is quite bright. Still not iPad or Tab quality, but good enough - similar to a good netbook screen. It didn't handle the very bright lights of the shop very well, and the viewing angle from below wasn't great, but i only noticed this because I'd heard people complain - can't see why it would be an issue in real world use. This was the '33 model - the '53 is supposedly better, but I thought the screen was fine.

It also just FEELS like a higher quality product, unlike the vega.

Re: USB drives - i think this is still on the to do list for the ROM devs.

Ebuyer have now split their stock and have separate entries for the different models - so hopefully the one that's out for delivery to me today is a '53! :D

Hope that helps...

OTG I think is supported by hc3.2 and the .36 kernel, so until we (I, anyone else want to get involved pleeeaaase?) get it working properly (Its booting! so some progress) that's not going to play nicely

AB73 is trying to get it working with the .32 kernel (so for CM7 etc), so its possible it will be done quicker.

I had a very quick play on a vega, and wasn't impressed by the build quality, it does have a load of community development though for it, hardware wise I think the hannspad is better, but it doesn't have GPS or camera, which if you need them may be an issue.

Edited by fards

Guest BillyBobJoe

I know that there is a honeycomb rom in development for the hannspree but that could take a long time to become as polished as the R8.1 version of Vegacomb so the trade off is internal storage (and a nicer overall styling IMHO) against a pretty damn impressive solution today.

Anyone lucky enough to be able to compare either to an HP Touchpad? I have relatives in the States primed to grab me a Touchpad if the promised "further production run" ever materialises. According to all the reviews it has a brilliant screen, but is the GPU ever likely to offer any hardware acceleration under Android? It seems powerful but Tegra support is limited so what chance any HD games that will use any of its potential?

Lots of second guessing and crystal ball gazing I know, but any advice gratefully received.

Well can help you on two fronts, I've got both a Vega and a touchpad. Screen wise the touchpad is far superiors but the OS is completely different. HP is very focused towards the professional user where the Vega is a consumer product. At first didn't like webOS at first but I've come to enjoy how it works, it does have odd moments where the memory and process seem to just get overloaded.

My Vega will always have a special place in my heart as it was my first tablet and when I was lucky enough to get involved with the creation of Vegacomb 3.2 version helps me overlook the screen problems and some of the build quality issues.

But lets be honest here, you cant compare a Vega and a touchpad as the Vega full RRP 199 and the touchpad RRP 349. Touchpad is a beautiful, Vega Ok......

Billy..

Guest BillyBobJoe

OTG I think is supported by hc3.2 and the .36 kernel, so until we (I, anyone else want to get involved pleeeaaase?) get it working properly (Its booting! so some progress) that's not going to play nicely

AB73 is trying to get it working with the .32 kernel (so for CM7 etc), so its possible it will be done quicker.

I had a very quick play on a vega, and wasn't impressed by the build quality, it does have a load of community development though for it, hardware wise I think the hannspad is better, but it doesn't have GPS or camera, which if you need them may be an issue.

Go for it cards, you just need to work on the .36 kernel. Get that booting and then it should then you should be well on the way. If you need help getting things working have a look over at the Vega kernel thread and look at the Corbin that rebel1 has put together for the Vega. You will more than likely will need to write some drivers for the hardware in your tablet.

Good luck guys.... PM me if you need help.

Billy..