Windows 7 98 and XP on Vega

Guest arnookie

Guest arnookie

We have been working on getting Windows 7 / 98 and XP working on the Advent Vega.

I would like to know how much it would be used, wanted or even needed by you all?

If you would be pleased to see this happen please leave a comment on why and what you would use it for.

Make it clear why you would want it and what else it can offer over things not available through android.

This way we would know if it is really worth our effort.

Thanks

Arnookie. ;O)

I can see the attraction from a technical achievement point of view, but personally I bought my Vega as I wanted something that was quicker to get up and running for quick browsing etc.. in bed or on the sofa, than booting the desktop or laptop PC.

I cant help but feel that Windows would defeat the whole point of what the Vega (& Android in general) is about, and I doubt that people would really want to use a tablet as a serious tool.

Could a Vega really run a number of current windows apps at the same time, with any sort of speed?

Guest trevor432990

Would be great if it can bring the plug-n-play options so that more peripheral devices could be attached to the Vega and actually work. Obviously the large range of additional software applications which would become available would also be a big boost although you could argue using a remote access app to link wirelessly to your PC and run stuff that way is a better alternative.

We have been working on getting Windows 7 / 98 and XP working on the Advent Vega.

I would like to know how much it would be used, wanted or even needed by you all?

If you would be pleased to see this happen please leave a comment on why and what you would use it for.

Make it clear why you would want it and what else it can offer over things not available through android.

Thanks

Arnookie. ;O)

I'd prefer Honeycomb (Vegacomb), to get the multitasking, with Android apps to handle MS datafiles. Or Ubuntu, which is already available in development form. I already have W7 on my PC, and it always does what it wants to do before doing what I want it to do.

Guest warriorscot

It would be an interesting achievement but considering that it has already been done by the boys at Microsoft its a little less impressive. And given that it would have no applications as there are only a handful of ARM applications for windows as well.

Guest HypoTurtle

A bit difficult to take this seriously given the reference to 98 :blink:

What's wrong with 98???

Just recalled a few launchers I've tried a few months ago, one was a windows 7 phone style launcher and it was dreadful, and the other was a windows 7 desktopesque launcher which was quite good, I'll add links if I find them and with being able to hide the statusbar now I'll try them out again.

At the very least it'll give a possible appearance and feel of what Win7 on the vega would look like.

The two are Android 7 and Launcher 7

android 7 looks good in my opinion on honeycomb with the statusbar hidden

Edited by HypoTurtle

Guest arnookie

Technically it is very acheivable to run windows 7.

Take a Look here

http://www.ubergizmo...due-march-2011/

http://www.slashgear...edded-05106028/

So for people thinking it will not run on arm 9 are incorrect. As for the reference to windows 98 it can still be very usefull.

Windows 7 would be based on Windows 7 Embedded, running on the dual-core 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 chipset. The good thing is it is fully tablet friendly. ;O)

People seem to require or want Honeycomb more which we find is not a supprise but many people still like the familiar windows platform.

None the less we would still like to know how much windows would be wanted overall.

I will leave this thread running for a while to gather more info on what people really would like from this. Otherwise we can concentrate on other projects we are looking into instead of wasting much time with this, especially if people don't really care or want this. ;O)

Edited by arnookie

Guest IanTurner

What's wrong with 98???

What use is it on a platform with enough power to run windows 7 or XP on ?

You can't get 98 to run on any modern PC without patching it for memory and clock rate problems.

There's more mileage in using a linux distro.

Guest Panayioti

I would love some kind of windows on the vega preferably windows 7 because you can do so much with windows e.g. skype, chrome. I think it would be a really good project to try ;)

Guest axel0meeuwissen

Thanks

Arnookie. ;O)

I would very much like to have win 7/98/XP on my advent vega!

If its stable and fast, I will definitely put windows on my vega!

hope you proceed this project, and good luck!

Guest Maxwell4321

Interesting, I would use it especially the 98 and XP if it could be used in DOS command prompt mode with support for a USB to Serial lead,

I have my reasons :lol:

Guest Pdragon

Just saying this first so you know where I am coming from. I like using the Vegacomb Rom as it is very progressive and just downright exciting. Developers modding by the seat of their pants! Also I am big fan of Android in itself.

That said, I think that many here would appreciate the work put in to an alternative. People love choice!

1. Paul's Rom is a nice stable basic beginners Rom but being that it is no longer developed, it is falling to the wayside in light of the alternatives.

2. Corvus Rom is much loved and stable. I am not sure how much it will be developed in future as it is a great standard.

3. CM7 ROM is for those who want the xda touch. I haven't used it myself on Vega yet so I can't comment confidently. This is being developed with Nightlies but not so dedicated to just the Vega as other Roms. The fact that it is still in the Gingerbread zone (correct me if I'm wrong please) is something I find a bit lame to me, as other developers are able to go to 3.0 and up.

4. Vegacomb is Honeycomb and mostly stable with a few issues still to resolve (webcam etc). However it is beautiful and sexy, showing the Vega at its best. The next release will bring speed increases and 3.2 functionality. 1.7 is my current Rom and I enjoy it.

5. Any Linux ports, haven't touched these myself but i'm sure they are cool.

All of the above except for 5 are but variations of android. If a Windows option was out, I am sure that people would try it and give it a go. If it brings with it a large difference in functionality then it will sell itself. If there is anything that I have learned about the Vega users on the forum, it is that they are highly supportive and helpful. Many use multiple Roms just to help out and give feedback. There is room for many Roms.

Short answer: Yes go for it!

The prospect of playing PC games (with USB keyboard/mouse) on my Vega would be a awesome to me. Do you think that is possible or would it be too much for the tablet to handle? Diablo 2 to be precise..... :-)

Guest phil8715

This is also a thread from someone who posted a link to a "new market" that was full of warez so frankly I'd ignore them

Would it be the full W7 or the mobile phone version?

There is a dual boot tablet about called the ViewSonic ViewPad 10.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=viewsonic+tablet&cid=12054361702650244341&os=tech-specs

To be honest I would love to run W7 on my tablet. The problem with Android is not the complete package.

Edited by phil8715

Guest Dave Marchant

Would it be the full W7 or the mobile phone version?

There is a dual boot tablet about called the ViewSonic ViewPad 10.

http://www.google.co...1&os=tech-specs

To be honest I would love to run W7 on my tablet. The problem with Android is not the complete package.

I have the Viewsonic Viewpad 10 as well as the Vega. To be honest, Win 7 on a tablet is not easy to use with less capability than a cheap netbook. In addition, to do anything useful needs an Intel processor and at least 1GB RAM (plus at least 16GB and preferably 32GB of Flash). Tablets like the Viewsonic with Intel chips run a variant of Android (Android x86) but there is little app support and no Market capability. The hope of running any useful version of Windows on a Tegra based tablet is a pipe-dream.

Guest MechAniX.One

I posted links to files for the Windows Embedded Compact 7 if anyone is interested. I just didnt know what to do with them. And no one seemed interested with it. Its posted over at XDA. I guess Torradex has a bootloader and image for WinCE7 to run on Tegra2.

XDA Post