How to create a flashable zip for CWM

Guest XpressAndy

Guest XpressAndy

If I modify my framework-res.apk or any other files, how do I create flashable zip with cwm?

And while compiling the framework-res.apk with apk manager, it basically ask two questions:

Is this a system file (y/n)?

Do you want to include the files that were not changed by you (y/n)?

I guess answer for first one would be yes. What option to choose for second question?

Guest t0mm13b

To create the flashable cwm script you need to add the META-INF directory. To illustrate below, after copying the META-INF structure and the relevant binary 'update-binary', all is needed is, to create the script 'update-script' which will reside in the same place as the binary.

Suppose your working directory is like this

MyFlashableCWM/

|

+- META-INF/

|     |

|     +- com/

|         |

|         + google/

|             |

|             +- android/

|                   |

|                   + update-binary

|                   |

|                   + updater-script

|

+- system/

|

+- lib/

|

+ modules/

Let's take the above as an example, and to go with the example, you want to add a file into the system/lib, this corresponds to the android filesystem used. So you could have 'etc' in the structure, 'usr' and so on. The real meat is in the updater-script that has some functions which you will have to dig up, I enclose an example of a script that flashes a boot.img and replaces the system/lib/modules directory also Here's an example of an updater-script:

ui_print("Welcome to MyFlashableCWM!");

mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");

delete_recursive("/system/lib/modules");

ui_print("cleaned /system/lib/modules");

package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

//... NEED TO REPLACE WITH WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO HERE

unmount("/system");

ui_print("Please reboot!");

That script will print out a message via 'ui_print', the crucial aspect is the 'mount' command which can be a bit tricky, for data as in /data it would be this

mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "data" "/data");

The order of the mount is important, whatever gets mounted first, second and so on, would have to be unmounted in the reverse order, i.e. second mount, first mount.

Have a look in the CyanogenMod's repo, in there, you will see this directory bootable/recovery/edify, there's source in there that shows the instructions that are used for the 'updater-script'

:)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest sm4tik

Have a look in the CyanogenMod's repo, in there, you will see this directory bootable/recovery/edify, there's source in there that shows the instructions that are used for the 'updater-script'

..and you're telling this now, after browsing through the whole internet for some documentation :blink:

Guest t0mm13b

..and you're telling this now, after browsing through the whole internet for some documentation :blink:

I'll dig around and see if I can find a useful linky to save you from browsing through the source... remember - the scripts that are used now are edify which is supported with clockworkmod 3.x.x and greater, the older clockworkmod 2.x.x.x uses amend scripting which is different in some respects...

:)

Guest t0mm13b

Here's the direct linky to the source that I was referring to.

You may gain some insight from looking at the comments... uhmmm... I do remember posting about clockwork mod scripting here on modaco a while back...

Guest sej7278

yes the documentation stinks, or more accurately, doesn't exist! its essentially grok the source or copy what others have done and hope it works.

try this too: https://github.com/k...ngerbread/edify

oddly enough there is plenty over on xda about amend scripting, but almost nothing up-to-date (edify).

here is a kind of tutorial i did, well more notes on how i made the libaudio zip a while back, but it also covers signing and where to find update-binary.

here i've uploaded a couple of old signed zips you can look at

Edited by sej7278

• 2 years later...
Guest Basher51

I don't understand one thing.Why is no one explaining how to create/ get the update-binary.There is so little discussion about it on the net. Is update-binary file specific to each device/OS?  For the above example,from where do we get the update-binary file??