Need wired lan on Vega

Guest piedyp

Guest piedyp

Hi All,

In October we will be staying in an appartment in the US which doesn't have wi-fi, instead it simply has an rj45 internet cable which plugs into a standard ethernet port. What's the easiest way of getting this Internet working with the Vega? I am currently running the stock 1.10 rom, with some mods to give a small taskbar and market.

Very many thanks in advance.

Guest Durbybard

Hi All,

In October we will be staying in an appartment in the US which doesn't have wi-fi, instead it simply has an rj45 internet cable which plugs into a standard ethernet port. What's the easiest way of getting this Internet working with the Vega? I am currently running the stock 1.10 rom, with some mods to give a small taskbar and market.

Very many thanks in advance.

Hiya, not sure if there are any other topics or advice on this subject, and need more info about the setup, is the RJ45 connector from the socket in the wall or from a standard modem, if any of the above, couldn't you just buy a wifi router if it's a wall socket RJ45 or a new wifi router modem if a standard modem, if not having just usb, then i would say this maybe an option..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-USB-LAN-RJ45-ETHERNET-10-100-Mbps-NETWORK-ADAPTER-/260726510971?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3cb482d57b#ht_3242wt_905

Your problem will be 1) getting the vega into host mode using the stock rom isn't possible, but modaco R8 and Corvus5 roms both have hosting usb devices and 2) drivers to run/find the dongle as i guess the dongle is for PC based systems.

Other than that, i'm kinda stumped what you could do...

Chris

Guest piedyp

Hiya, not sure if there are any other topics or advice on this subject, and need more info about the setup, is the RJ45 connector from the socket in the wall or from a standard modem, if any of the above, couldn't you just buy a wifi router if it's a wall socket RJ45 or a new wifi router modem if a standard modem, if not having just usb, then i would say this maybe an option..

http://www.ebay.co.u...b#ht_3242wt_905

Your problem will be 1) getting the vega into host mode using the stock rom isn't possible, but modaco R8 and Corvus5 roms both have hosting usb devices and 2) drivers to run/find the dongle as i guess the dongle is for PC based systems.

Other than that, i'm kinda stumped what you could do...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I think I might order it and give it a go. But, whatat's the best rom at the moment in your opinion that supports host mode, the internal camera, bluetooth and market? I've flashed a few and there's always been a snag, like the camera doesn't work or bluetooth is off.

Guest Durbybard

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I think I might order it and give it a go. But, whatat's the best rom at the moment in your opinion that supports host mode, the internal camera, bluetooth and market? I've flashed a few and there's always been a snag, like the camera doesn't work or bluetooth is off.

Hiya, best rom, hmmmm, most would say Corvus5, but for me i get a few problems here and there with Corvus5.

I could be wrong but i think modaco R8 rom has full support for the things you listed above (not sure on camera as don't use it)

And as far as i am aware, modaco R8 is the stock rom with whistles and bells like usb host/slave and market app etc.

Also, modaco R8 in it's main screen look is identical to the stock rom, but already has smaller top task bar included, so you won't feel lost with it's look if you decide to upgrade.

Chris...

Below is instructions on how to install a rom, replace the corvus5 reference to modaco R8...

1) Download Corvus5 rom and copy this to your sdcard via your PC (connect the vega to PC, select on vega to turn on USB and then find the mounted sdcard on your pc and copy the zip files to the sdcard), once done, download Vega Tools 4 and install that onto your PC, then put your vega into debug mode, that's settings, applications, development and then select the top USB Debugging.

2) Run vega tools and look at bottom of screen and click install audi drivers.

3) Don't select anything and click next step at bottom of screen, then select Part B, deleted all installed drivers, once done, now select the the top option "i want to install modaco R8 in ADB mode"

4) Click next step and select Part C, Install correct driver, then select top option "just do it for me", this should install the correct ADB driver, if installed correctly the bar at bottom left of window which was red should now be green.

5) Once done close down the window and look on the vega tools window and see the clockwork recovery, tick the include recovery application and click the install button to install, (if this will not install, reboot the vega, making sure you have the vega in debug mode as explained above when you rebooted and try again) once done, go to your apps page and look for recovery, run the app and it will reboot into Recovery option called clockworkmod.

6) Now once clockworkmod screen pops up, using volume down key tab down to the backup and restore (volume up moves tab up) and use the power button to select, now do a backup of your stock rom, once done, use the back button to go back and tab to wipe cache partition, select using power button and then tab to yes, once done tab to wipe data/factory reset, select, and tab to yes, once done tab down to advanced, select, and tab to wipe dalvik cache, select, and tab to yes, now back button to the main screen.

7) Now tab down to install zip from sdcard, select, and tab down to choose zip from sdcard, select and tab to the corvus5 zip file on your sdcard and select (not the sp1 updater), tab to yes and this should start the install of the new rom, once done, press back and select reboot the vega and you should have corvus5 installed.

Guest IanTurner

Won't work.

You need drivers built into the kernel to handle the usb dongle. See here for an inconclusive discussion that ended with attempts to build new rom versions that were going nowhere.

You'd be better off buying a wireless access point which would cost at least £17 and either configure it before going assuming you can get the details in advance or hope that you can connect to it wirelessly and set up the networking settings that way.

Better off using a laptop instead.

Guest Lupulus

Having a vega with wired ethernet as my kitchen computer, I obviously disagree.

It works with corvus5, but not with vegacomb. I will have to get back to that, don't want to miss out on the vegacomb goodness...

Won't work.

You need drivers built into the kernel to handle the usb dongle. See here for an inconclusive discussion that ended with attempts to build new rom versions that were going nowhere.

You'd be better off buying a wireless access point which would cost at least £17 and either configure it before going assuming you can get the details in advance or hope that you can connect to it wirelessly and set up the networking settings that way.

Better off using a laptop instead.

Guest IanTurner

Hmm fair enough though might be an idea to indicate what dongle you're using as there are a range of chipsets and I suspect only the main ones are supported

Guest sconie

I was in a Florida villa this year and it only had a wired connection, so I went to a local Target store and bought a cheap wireless box for $24, worked a treat.

hmmm a revival of the topic good good!

One of the main goodies of Honeycomb 3.1/2 is that they added more support for USB devices. I have been hoping to try my usb adapter with the new 3.2 so I'm awaiting Team Newco's enabling of host mode anxietly.

ju88a

Guest Lupulus

As indicated in the other thread, mine is a MosChip MCS7830 based (actually no-namebrand) thingy. I built modules for everything found under the "usbnet" heading, so there's always a possibility that other devices work but have only tested mcs7830.

I was going to have a go at VegaComb, but it seems it does not support usb host mode yet so I'll hold off for a while.

Hmm fair enough though might be an idea to indicate what dongle you're using as there are a range of chipsets and I suspect only the main ones are supported

• 6 months later...