Learnt my lesson the hard way...

Guest Frankish

Guest Frankish

Some of you may know i used to have a Blade (Hi!) and then i decided to sell it and bought a Moto Defy. It was a great phone and served me well for a while but i decided i needed a bigger screen i loved the look of the 4.3 inch devices! I kept checking back to the Skate forums and saw any hope of an unlock coming soon fading. In my madness i got reading up on HTC HD2's but ignored the warnings of poor battery life and hardware issues! (This wasn't the real problem though)

I grabbed one from eBay for £142.00. I received my HD2 and started running Android on it...all was well running the latest HTC Sensation rom on it however i had one issue. My signal wasn't as good as on my Blade and my Defy. I read a post on XDA of a proven hardware issue with the HD2 where some copper contacts don't make very good contact with the case causing signal issues and there was a fix. Tried by around 8 people and confirmed to greatly improve signal by 7 of those people. I decided it would be a good idea to try even though i am quite a heavy handed person, so i set about opening the HD2.

I got the phone opened after some prying and sweating. I carefully started to lift the copper contacts a bit higher to increase the contact they make with the other side of the case. Squeezed the case back together and volume key popped out...ARGH. So i opened it again and lifted the contacts a little again...OH FUDGE, one of them came straight off in my hand. I'm screwed I'm screwed I'm screwed. I rushed for my aluminium sticky tape and crafted a small spring type of job to make contact between the two pieces. Put it all back together and my signal was still working PHEW...but it wasn't great so i thought...i know i'll open it again and make it better.

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL GOES WRONG!

I pulled the case apart and the screen lifted a little. Squeezed it back together and re-aluminium foiled the signal contact. Put it all back together and signal was great but the screen was more lit at the bottom than the top... Took it apart again...broke a copper wifi contact...squeezed the screen together more. Put it back together. Wifi works ok still but screen still lit more at bottom than top. (I should have stopped here!)

I took it all apart again and following the HTC Disassembly video started to take the full thing apart to sort the screen out. In the process i ripped the ribbon cable for volume and the ribbon key for the power ...ARRGHHHHHHHH. This is where i gave up. Put the stupid thing on eBay for parts and got less than £40 for it. So i lost around £110! I should have been patient and waited for an unlock for the Monte Carlo!!!!!!

I'm currently eBaying as much old junk as possible to raise funds to get another phone. I have learnt my lesson and that is STICK TO SOFTWARE. Hardware is not my strong point! And to make thing worse my partners HTC Sensation arrived today and it is gorgeous.

I'm currently using...

DisplayImage.jpg

It h4Z fM R4d10!!!!!!!1

Guest t0mm13b

LMAO - Am so sorry to hear your experience but that story towards the end and the picture made my day!

Classic!!!

Are you gonna be the next uhmm JK Rowling :P

(In all seriousness - your story-telling is ACE - nice build up, climaxed built up and just exploded - just like your ribbon cable that got cut, on the HTC :lol: !)

PS: Your post deserve my up-vote! And have fun with the totally RAD err uhmmm radio ... :P

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Frankish

I'm considering doing a kiss-o-gram or something. It would only be a few quid a kiss. Obviously you would need to pay for travel expenses yourself to come see me and have to be comfortable with male on male action and be good at telling my missus that we're "just good friends". :)

Guest Simon O

I recognise that phone...

post-697226-0-76678600-1314115450_thumb.

Oh hai cheap £3 phone :lol:

You have balls for even trying to fix your phone. I would never attempt it myself as I know I'll make things worse.

Hope you manage to get a replacement soon.

Guest t0mm13b

I'm considering doing a kiss-o-gram or something. It would only be a few quid a kiss. Obviously you would need to pay for travel expenses yourself to come see me and have to be comfortable with male on male action and be good at telling my missus that we're "just good friends". :)

:huh:

Gee, you sound desperate? :P

I can forward you some Nigerian scam emails... :lol:

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Frankish

I recognise that phone...

post-697226-0-76678600-1314115450_thumb.

Oh hai cheap £3 phone :lol:

You have balls for even trying to fix your phone. I would never attempt it myself as I know I'll make things worse.

Hope you manage to get a replacement soon.

Yep cheapo crapola.

I got over confident. I dropped my Desire in a glass of Coke and i took that apart and fixed it just fine, this was something...err...different!

Guest t0mm13b

Yep cheapo crapola.

I got over confident. I dropped my Desire in a glass of Coke and i took that apart and fixed it just fine, this was something...err...different!

Let me guess - you DESIREd a coke *sniff* :D or did the desire DESIREd a dive into the coke for a snort^Hkel diving?

Wait... how did you manage to get that sugary liquid off the circuitary etc. :blink:

That's a common keyboard killer too....

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest TouchyAndalou
I'm currently using...

DisplayImage.jpg

It h4Z fM R4d10!!!!!!!1

Is this phone dual core? Is it ARMv7? Does it support HD video recording?

Teehee.

*edit* By the way, what were your impressions of the HD2 apart from the battery and signal? Did it otherwise seem good? Is it fast? Is the 4.3" screen bright and sharp like the OMC seems to be? Did you test the camera/video? I think I'm leaning towards the OMC as an upgrade later this year due mainly to the supposedly excellent screen, although the HD2 does sound kind of interesting, despite the problems you mentioned. Thanks.

Edited by TouchyAndalou

Guest tillaz

i think the orange monte carlo is a great phone even with the armv6 cpu.

came from an iphone 4 to this and to be honest i have got nerly every app and game i had on the iphone 4

all working perfect on the OMC a god example is dead space the graphics are amazing an look great on the 4.3 screen.

i must admit tho they did not work until i changed ro.product.manufacturer=ZTE to ro.product.manufacturer=HTC in the build.prop

only thing i really miss from my iphone is the 720p recording but for me the android OS makes up for it not a big fan of ISO.

Guest Frankish

Let me guess - you DESIREd a coke *sniff* :D or did the desire DESIREd a dive into the coke for a snort^Hkel diving?

Wait... how did you manage to get that sugary liquid off the circuitary etc. :blink:

That's a common keyboard killer too....

Poor jokes :P For the cleasning...contact cleaner from Maplin. Cost around 3 quid and worked an absolute treat.

Is this phone dual core? Is it ARMv7? Does it support HD video recording?

Teehee.

*edit* By the way, what were your impressions of the HD2 apart from the battery and signal? Did it otherwise seem good? Is it fast? Is the 4.3" screen bright and sharp like the OMC seems to be? Did you test the camera/video? I think I'm leaning towards the OMC as an upgrade later this year due mainly to the supposedly excellent screen, although the HD2 does sound kind of interesting, despite the problems you mentioned. Thanks.

HD2 is great if you get one without signal problems. Spare batteries are cheap to pick up too. Great selection of roms to choose from HTC Sense 3.0, MIUI and CM7. Can even get some pretty stable Windows Phone roms too which was actually a very nice OS to have a play with. Camera is decent and can get 720p recording going on some roms too. OMC definitely has a better screen as far as i am concerned though plus the advantage it is actually intended to run Android, so no MAGLDR, Radio etc before even installing a rom :)

we all learn by mistakes nobuddy s perfect .great story made my day .was feeling down till read story brilliant thanks

frankish

Glad my little mishap could cheer you up!!!

Hey hey, don't knock it! This bad boy has awesome battery life! It's my spare phone for when I'm testing roms out.

True that i haven't charged it for 3 days now.

Guest Anil K Solanki

I'm currently using...

DisplayImage.jpg

It h4Z fM R4d10!!!!!!!1

Damn, painful story. Thanks for sharing Frankish. The best way to learn is by doing and fing-up, those are the sorts of lessons you don't forget.

Anil.

Guest hammy94

corr unlucky bro im about 12 quid short of getting the omc but i didnt get payed yesterday even tho i worked in the rain and sat in wet jeans for 3 hours

Guest Atomix86

My HD2 also recently bit the dust, though this was a stupid usb port problem, talk about sloppily made! Shame as it was a hackers dream of a device, can't say i'll miss the terrible battery life though :lol: