Skype video on Vega

Guest Kihon

Guest Dave Marchant

I tried it on Corvus5 and it didn't work. I think the Skype app is just for Gingerbread and limited to specific devices although there is a hacked version around somewhere which takes out the device check.

Guest trevor432990

I tried it on Corvus5 and it didn't work. I think the Skype app is just for Gingerbread and limited to specific devices although there is a hacked version around somewhere which takes out the device check.

Don't think Skype video is available on Android yet. Yahoo Messenger has video which works on Vega ROMs apart from VC 3.2 where camera has been disabled while they fix it.

After researching more, it appears that the official Skype application uses the NEON extensions, which Tegra II does not support. As a result none of the Tegra II devices can support Skype video. Nvidia apparently had a version which used their proprietary extensions to allow HD video, but I don't think Skype are integrating this into their app. Tegra 3 apparently has NEON, so I get the feeling we won't be seeing Skype video on the Advent Vega :(

After researching more, it appears that the official Skype application uses the NEON extensions, which Tegra II does not support. As a result none of the Tegra II devices can support Skype video. Nvidia apparently had a version which used their proprietary extensions to allow HD video, but I don't think Skype are integrating this into their app. Tegra 3 apparently has NEON, so I get the feeling we won't be seeing Skype video on the Advent Vega :(

I've been thinking about Linphone, but it seems Linphone Video calls right now have the same limitations, NEON only. BUT with Linphone we have actually hopes that somebody will port the video decoder/encoder-libraries the work without NEON.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

worked for me only after update 2 (on Vc9n). Opened camera window.

regards

Alessandro

hi, did u get sound too? they could here me and video worked but i couldnt hear them? first time ive used skype though so might have ben me doing something stupid?

Guest WillDroid

I had this very same problem, and I fixed it by installing 'Volume Master Free from the market, and setting the last slider, the voice call volume one, to full. It now works perfectly :-)

Guest wi-fli

I have tried the latest Skype 2.5 on MoDaCo r8, but video doesn't work even though it looks like it might. I guess you need Vegacomb for video?

Edited by wi-fli

Guest WillDroid

As i said, no problems with mine, just recently installed the update 3 if that makes any difference, modded stock v2 and that's all. I just had no audio and fixed it as said above :-)

Guest WillDroid

Just install Skype from the market (v2.5 IIRC) and then log in and press menu, hit option then enable video calling, then download 'Volume Master free' from the market and make sure the last slider is set to full, otherwise you won't be able to hear the other person, et voila :-)

Just install Skype from the market (v2.5 IIRC) and then log in and press menu, hit option then enable video calling, then download 'Volume Master free' from the market and make sure the last slider is set to full, otherwise you won't be able to hear the other person, et voila :-)

Ooooooh, the official one :o So obvious and yet the only thing I hadn't tried ;P

I didn't expect the official one to ever support the vega considering Vegacomb isn't exactly official

Guest worto03

I had this very same problem, and I fixed it by installing 'Volume Master Free from the market, and setting the last slider, the voice call volume one, to full. It now works perfectly :-)

thanks, i've tried this but still get the same problem, i don't seem to get any sound in skype at all, no notifications wefghen peole call or anything.

i'll have to do more testing, was your sound issue just 'in call' ?

thanks.

edit - i've tried this from my zte phone now and it works fine between that and the vega, the blade won't do video but i get the ringing notification and voice works fine so it just doesn't seem to alert me when my dad calls from his iphone? anyone else got it working between an iphone and the vega?

Edited by worto03

Guest ho66es

confirmed working here, which is awesome as this was the reason I got the vega in the 1st place as an easy way for my wife to skype with our daughter on the isle on man \o/

Guest worto03

What are you guys talking too at the other end?

Can anyone confirm that sound works between an iphone and the vega?

I get sound with other phones but not an iphone 3GS, theycan hear me me we can't hear them and get no notification sounds when they ring but notifications work fine when my zte blade calls the vega?

Video is fine.

edit - I've tried it with an iphone 4 now as well and there is a problem between the iphone app and the android app, if I initiate the call there is sound but exrtreemly quiet on the iphone so quiet that you can't really make much out but if the iphone initiates the call then there is no sound my end - this is on audio calls as well as video calls and even the ringing notification.

I'll have a look on skypes forums.

Edited by worto03