Stood on my Vega

Guest bennji_boy

Guest bennji_boy

Stood on my Vega and now it's completely knackered, I've never been so upset about anything before in my life (OK an exaggeration of course, but I really am gutted)

Presumably they won't exchange it as 'faulty'

Guest jono4001

Stood on my Vega and now it's completely knackered, I've never been so upset about anything before in my life (OK an exaggeration of course, but I really am gutted)

Presumably they won't exchange it as 'faulty'

Bad news mate sorry to here that, take it the screen is broken ?? if not could try taking it back if not then household insurance not cover it ?? failing that shove it on ebay bet you will get £90+ for it as it is !! that way you only have just over half the price to pay for a new one !!

Guest RancidCucumber

Bad news mate sorry to here that, take it the screen is broken ?? if not could try taking it back if not then household insurance not cover it ?? failing that shove it on ebay bet you will get £90+ for it as it is !! that way you only have just over half the price to pay for a new one !!

If its only the screen, you could replace it, I stood on mine, there was no damage to the front glass or digitiser, just the screen.

its a piece of cake to change, cost me just over 30 quid for the replacement. needed to trim some of the internal plastic bits a little with a craft knife, but was done and dusted within a hour and a half.

Guest bennji_boy

If its only the screen, you could replace it, I stood on mine, there was no damage to the front glass or digitiser, just the screen.

its a piece of cake to change, cost me just over 30 quid for the replacement. needed to trim some of the internal plastic bits a little with a craft knife, but was done and dusted within a hour and a half.

That's right, no damage to the front glass, just the screen. Where did you get the replacement from?

Guest Graham Macleod

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but that's a screen for a laptop - does it not need to be a special 'touch' screen or is that part build into the front glass?

Yes, the LCD is a separate thing from the touch sensor. If the LCD is broken or cracked, you'll know because there will be colours and lights flickering upt to the lines of breakage in the LCD. There may be parts of the screen which still work, other parts will be completely dark, and some will just have lines of colour.

If you've got nothing at all on the LCD then it may be something else.

I did this repair a few weeks ago, so to give you at taste of what you're in for - it can be done, but it's hard to do it well.

If it's like mine then the replacement LCD will be slightly bigger, thicker and the connector won't be in the same place. The connector is actually not so great a problem, by twisting the ribbon cable you can make it work. You'll need the scalpel to cut away the plastic flanges round the screen that hold the old LCD in place, and to shave off parts of the screw mounts which would otherwise get in the way. It's fairly obvious what to do, but as I say, it's easy to make a bit of a mess.

My main problem was the thickness of the LCD. The original LCD sits between the glass screen/sensor and a thin metal plate which separates the LCD/Sensor from the Battery/Circuit board. This plate acts as support for the battery and gives additional strength to the whole machine. Unfortunately I couldn't make it fit back with the new LCD, so I had to throw it away. It's not needed, but you'll have to find another way of holding the battery in place. Taping it to the back cover works. The result will be a machine that will be more sensitive to knocks and jolts.

But on the bright side, it has improved the viewing angles and image quality for me (although I got my LCD in America and so it's probably not the same as the ebay one).

Things aren't quite the same. Alignment is no problem, but I find the touchscreen very sensitive and erratic now. It works, but not as well as before. Still, for £32 ...

I've taken some pictures of the innards as they are now, if you're interested.

Circuit board

The whole thing showing the twisted ribbon

Good Luck

Guest bennji_boy

Yes, the LCD is a separate thing from the touch sensor. If the LCD is broken or cracked, you'll know because there will be colours and lights flickering upt to the lines of breakage in the LCD. There may be parts of the screen which still work, other parts will be completely dark, and some will just have lines of colour.

If you've got nothing at all on the LCD then it may be something else.

I did this repair a few weeks ago, so to give you at taste of what you're in for - it can be done, but it's hard to do it well.

If it's like mine then the replacement LCD will be slightly bigger, thicker and the connector won't be in the same place. The connector is actually not so great a problem, by twisting the ribbon cable you can make it work. You'll need the scalpel to cut away the plastic flanges round the screen that hold the old LCD in place, and to shave off parts of the screw mounts which would otherwise get in the way. It's fairly obvious what to do, but as I say, it's easy to make a bit of a mess.

My main problem was the thickness of the LCD. The original LCD sits between the glass screen/sensor and a thin metal plate which separates the LCD/Sensor from the Battery/Circuit board. This plate acts as support for the battery and gives additional strength to the whole machine. Unfortunately I couldn't make it fit back with the new LCD, so I had to throw it away. It's not needed, but you'll have to find another way of holding the battery in place. Taping it to the back cover works. The result will be a machine that will be more sensitive to knocks and jolts.

But on the bright side, it has improved the viewing angles and image quality for me (although I got my LCD in America and so it's probably not the same as the ebay one).

Things aren't quite the same. Alignment is no problem, but I find the touchscreen very sensitive and erratic now. It works, but not as well as before. Still, for £32 ...

I've taken some pictures of the innards as they are now, if you're interested.

Circuit board

The whole thing showing the twisted ribbon

Good Luck

That's brilliant, thanks mate

Guest RancidCucumber

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but that's a screen for a laptop - does it not need to be a special 'touch' screen or is that part build into the front glass?

the digitiser is attached to the front glass, the old screen is a netbook screen, it is stuck on with a weak rubberised glue. viewing angles aren't improved.

just make sure that the inside dosent get any dust in it or you end up taking it out and doing it again (3 times for me...lol)

Guest bennji_boy

I've managed to get most of it loose which has got me confident I can do it so ordered the new LCD screen.

The only thing is the brown tape at the bottom of the circuit board seems to be stuck to something and I can't seem to loose it, how did you manage that part?

Thanks for your help chaps.

Guest RancidCucumber

I've managed to get most of it loose which has got me confident I can do it so ordered the new LCD screen.

The only thing is the brown tape at the bottom of the circuit board seems to be stuck to something and I can't seem to loose it, how did you manage that part?

Thanks for your help chaps.

do you mean the digitiser conection?

Guest phil_w

I have just stood on my vega also :(

Like you just the LCD was cracked (classic shattered ink blot effect).

Having dismantled my Vega I'm fairly confident I can replace the LCD, I've successfully removed the old one without damaging the digitiser or anything else.

I have purchased this from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400212145439 i'm awaiting delivery in the next day or two so I'll let you know how it goes.

An import thing to test before attempting to dismantle your vega or repair it, is that it is just the LCD and not the touch screen sensor (digitiser) that is broken. The easiest way to do this, is connect your vega via HDMI to an external display and see if it responds to you touching it. Mine did, and all was working well on the display on my TV.

If I'm successful, I may be able to offer some advice (entirely at your own risk of course :rolleyes: )

Edited by phil_w

Guest bennji_boy

do you mean the digitiser conection?

Possibly, on the picture above you can see a brown 'thing', it's like a plastic ribbon. Does that need to be disconnected from the circuit board before you remove the circuit board - I can't get to the screen without removing the circuit board.

Guest Graham Macleod

Possibly, on the picture above you can see a brown 'thing', it's like a plastic ribbon. Does that need to be disconnected from the circuit board before you remove the circuit board - I can't get to the screen without removing the circuit board.

Yes, be careful here. The brown 'thing' is the digitiser connection. It goes into a socket on the motherboard. Removing it is simple but very fiddly (and you need to do it).

If you look very carefully where it joins the motherboard, there's a metal socket with a plastic inset. You need to get a thin blade between the metal and the plastic. The plastic is actually an inner sleeve that can be gently coaxed out from the metal sheath. You need to push the black plastic away from the metal. The connection will loosen and you can simply pull the brown ribbon out altogether.

Here's a picture

Digitiser connection

Getting it back in is the same process in reverse, but it's fiddly and it took me a couple of goes to get it working. I do think it's the weak point on the Vega as a whole, it's difficult to get it connected back in a completely satisfactory way.

Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes. If you could take some photos as you do it, it would be really helpful to people later on.

Guest henisen

Hi guys, reading these posts gave me hope of reviving my vega again. Just need to confirm with maybe a stupid question. Please look at this thread.

Can this be solved with this screen replacement?

Guest richardmlea

Hi guys, reading these posts gave me hope of reviving my vega again. Just need to confirm with maybe a stupid question. Please look at this thread.

Can this be solved with this screen replacement?

Yes that looks like a broken LCD. If you digitizer is still working a replacement LCD will fix it.

Guest Graham Macleod

My new screen has just arrived so I'll be having a go at changing it when I get home tonight, fingers crossed.

I'll post a full report once complete.

Good Luck! Please take some photographs as you go - if you can.

Couple of extra things. The LCD and the glass with the digitiser are held together with black sticky tape, which you can cut with a craft knift. They are also held together at the edges with light glue, which is quite weak and - once you've cut through all the tape, you can gently prise them apart. The glue is in thin strips around the outside, it's not on the main part of the screen.

As mentioned before, make sure the glass is clean and free of dust or junk before you reassemble it. You'll need some electrical tape or duct tape to replace the tape you cut through.

When you come to reconnect the battery, you'll find there are two sockets it will fit in, one at the top of the board, that ends up in the middle of the machine, and one at the bottom, which is close to the speakers and the brown cable for the digitiser. The bottom one is the correct one. I don't know what the top connector is for and it isn't used, it fits the battery perfectly, which is odd - but it doesn't work in there.

You might need a couple of goes to get the digitiser ribbon correctly back. Just keep at it.

If you can't get the metal plate back on, just leave it out.

Cheers

well i am typing this on my freshly repaired vega! rolleyes.gif

the screen i linked from ebay in my previous post is physically identical to the original, although it had different labels and model numbers on, it fit perfectly with the metal plate in that some people had to remove.

the only difference other than labels is the black tape the original had round the edge. you may want to put your own tape on, otherwise you can see the silver edges of the frame once the new screen is in.

good luck with yours! send me a message if you have any question, i'll try and advise if i can.

Guest bennji_boy

This is not easy, really not easy.

I've managed to get as far as putting the new screen in place and now I need to connect it to the circuit board. The thing that connects the two, do you need to use the one that was already there, the new screen doesn't seem to come with a new one?

If so, I think I've damaged it while trying to remove the old screen, where can I get a replacement?

Guest bennji_boy

Right, I'm all done, screen working OK, thanks for everyone's help

Touch screen is all over the place though and the back button doesn't seem to work.

Where do I get that screen calibration app from? I've used it before but can't seem to find it.

But didn't you have fun doing it? ;)

I take it from your success you hadn't damaged the cable to connect the screen?

It's not hugely easy but worth doing to save yourself £160 i would say.

Guest Graham Macleod

Here's the calibration app - first link in this thread.

Mine was completely all over the place before I ran this - which pretty much fixed it. Don't know what it's doing or how it works.

Does the back button even depress properly. It's a little tricky to get all the bits back right. Sometimes takes a few goes.