How to update VegaComb 8

Guest jevdroid

Guest jevdroid

I installed VegaComb 3.2 build 7 on my Point of View Mobii TEGRA2 last week, very happy with it. For several reasons however, I did not install CWM but installed it from the software menu from the stock froyo Point of View. After a factory-wipe, it runs great. No need for toying around with different drivers or other things.

This morning, I noticed build 8.1 is now there and I'm eager to test that. That build, however, is available only as a patch on build 7. I searched to no end, but couldn't find a menu item in VC's setup to update from an existing zipfile.

So, I restarted the tablet in recovery mode and got this menu (note: it says "Apply sdcard:update.zip" in the selection bar and I've renamed the VegaComb 7 to 8.1 update-file to match this):

pov_recovery.png

From here though, I can move the selection bar up and down using the volume-rocker or a USB mouse if I plug that in, but I can't seem to select any of the items.

Is there any way to update not using CWM? Or does anyone have a full build 8.1 that I can flash?

Guest trevor432990

If you installed VC 3.2 r7 it will automatically install CWM so that it is available to you. There is a download link here about halfway down the page for the r7 to r8.1 zip file which you should download to your sdcard. Then I believe all you need to do is go to the app page on your Vega and select the 'Recovery' app which launches CWM and puts the Vega in the correct mode. Then from the menu choose to install from the zip file you downloaded to your sdcard and let it run through to the finish. It should then reboot itself to the new r8.1 and you will be done.

Guest jevdroid

Nope, VC 3.2 build 7 does NOT install CWM, otherwise it would not have shown the recovery menu pictured (that is the original PoV recovery image showing after the installation of VegaComb 3.2 build 7).

Again, I wished it had installed CWM, but it did not. If there is another way to install CWM without the need for wrestling with USB drivers, that would be great. I tried ROM Manager from the market but as it says on VC's label, that doesn't work (that "soft-bricked" the tablet).

Edited by jevdroid

Guest warriorscot

Build 7 does come with recovery so if it doesn't its probably because of the way you installed it rather than using CWM. There is no need to rename the file just select install from zip and navigate to the correct file. No need to wrestle drivers either the modded stock v2 which is a prerequisite also has CWM.

Edited by warriorscot

Guest trevor432990

OK CWM is in Moddedstock v2 which is a pre-requisite to loading VC 3.2 see below:-

"[ROM] ModdedStock_1.10 v2 - Updated Stock ROM Base

This is an extremely simple ROM modification to the standard Advent Vega 1.10 system image that only alters a couple of things. These are as follows:

* /system partition size increased from 128mb to 155mb. (The reason for this will be explained below)

* su and SuperUser.apk added - You can use root apps as standard now.

* ClockworkMod Recovery built-in.

* Added Pauls simple recovery reboot app to get into CWM recovery."

• 3 months later...
Guest kris2340k

OK CWM is in Moddedstock v2 which is a pre-requisite to loading VC 3.2 see below:-

"[ROM] ModdedStock_1.10 v2 - Updated Stock ROM Base

This is an extremely simple ROM modification to the standard Advent Vega 1.10 system image that only alters a couple of things. These are as follows:

* /system partition size increased from 128mb to 155mb. (The reason for this will be explained below)

* su and SuperUser.apk added - You can use root apps as standard now.

* ClockworkMod Recovery built-in.

* Added Pauls simple recovery reboot app to get into CWM recovery."

if yuu goto youtube and search how to flash a rom without a pc evilbobbins video shows how to install cwm without any drivers, he also installes terminal emulater and recovery kicker without any usb drivers